New Mexico Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: new mexico dlc

#131 Post by flight50 » 23 Jun 2017 02:58

pigbrother wrote: 22 Jun 2017 05:20 I doubt they had the time required to build three states. I would like to see a 18€ DLC with NM, UT and CO, but I doubt it will happen.
Oh it's possible alright, lol. If SCS changed their method of putting out content to what I have mentioned several times laready, it can. Another poster stated the same thing basically. SCS can put out states much quicker if they provide only a few or the main interstates thru a state initially. Place 1-2 cities along these interstates to get us thru to the next state. Bundling 2-3 states this way will put out official roadways quicker that can be added to the base map. Then....an expansion dlc team can come in behind later down the road or right after release and fill out the state more. This is when quality kicks in overtime and SCS can really take as long as they would like because we have a base state in place. The expansion team would add more smaller cities, state highways, major big roads, more prefabs or what ever else they want to throw in. This approach would give multiple states much quicker than the current pace. All 48 states can be created in a much better time frame. This would hugely benefit the older crowd. This would also ensure that SCS can continue to add staff and grow before moving on to ATS2 or upgrading the engine like so many are calling for.

As far as price, a reasonable price for NM has to be 6.99-9.99, no more. Anything over that for a single state would be robbery in my opinion. I don't care how much detail and quality is placed in it, $10 or more, will not allow many to purchase. Me, I will pay it regardless because I want more states but not everyone will want to purchase a single state at that price. As mentioned before and I think more will agree, Texas is the only state that is worthy of a high fee. I would pay $20-25 for Texas easily. But all the other states, just don't have the same Texas real estate, the road network or the number of large cities within to justify high fees. In the end, SCS has to be smart with pricing. They have to be reasonable and not be tempted by greed. With the method I mentioned above, each state or group of states can be priced at 2.99-5.99 for example. The expansion dlc team can come thru with the quality pack and charge 5.99-9.99 for the upgraded. Everyone may not want the upgrade but everyone will want to get thru one state in order to get to another. Extra goodies may not be in those people best interest. SCS can still put in quality work for just interstate travel with its 1-2 cities along it.
canuckster

#132 Post by canuckster » 23 Jun 2017 03:26

Seriously 7-10 Euros? You know France was initially 17.99, and Scandinavia I think was 19.99, plus there was Going East but I didn't get ETS2 until after Going East came out so I don't remember it's initial price. SCS are selling themselves short if they sell it for that price. Ridiculous, people want states for free or for little money, ugh.

I do agree however on the developmental process, or at least outsource some of the steps to the SCS community. I could have the province of British Columbia researched and planned in under a week being from there and knowing all the major highway visuals and whatnot, I'd even do it pro-bono, I can't model or map make worth a damn though so that nixes me.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Pining to drive the Trans-Canada Highway... some eventual beautiful day.
pigbrother

#133 Post by pigbrother » 23 Jun 2017 03:58

Vive la France DLC brought us a road network that amounted for 1/4 of the map (including Scandinavia and Going East). It was a good add-on ans the price was right. New Mexico is much smaller that France, smaller than the new parts of the country from Vive la France DLC and is nowhere near as complex.

If they will choose to sell it for the same price, I will get it without blinking. But it's not about me, it's about all the potential customers, and I doubt they will treat New Mexico on the same level as a big and important country as France. As I said, Texas DLC will be on the same level as Vive la France DLC. New Mexico is not there, nor by size, complexity or attraction.

In the end... we shall see.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
angrybirdseller

#134 Post by angrybirdseller » 23 Jun 2017 06:59

We are only speculating on price but rescale will result in higher price point per state as more content is added. Would not factor in size and landmass with pricing as It will take couple DLC in ATS to find price point to make money. Sure, average state will be couple dollars cheaper than average ETS2 region.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#135 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Jun 2017 08:13

SCS have said they will look at prices accordingly. IMO they have never over charged for a DLC yet, I trust they will make it a fair price.

Here's the thing for people thinking they will give additional states as a 'compensation', there's nothing for them to compensate. At no point have they ever said there will always be at least 1 new state in X time frame. Just because you feel 12 months and two weeks (Arizona was released June 6th officially) is too long a gap between map releases, doesn't mean you will get more for waiting. They will be done when they are done and released when it's ready, there's nothing more too it than that.

As it stands one map pack a year is the norm and since we're only half way through this year nothing is wrong with the time frame thus far. If it comes before the end of Summer brilliant, if not never mind.
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 23 Jun 2017 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
prisonerofthehighway

#136 Post by prisonerofthehighway » 23 Jun 2017 10:46

I am very curious what the price will be for New Mexico and the rest of the states that will be released. I have seen a lot of people claiming they will pay $9.99 USD (8.94 euro) all the way up to $19.99 USD (18.00 euro) for New Mexico alone. This simply seems completely unreasonable and unaffordable to me. I just wonder if the people who claim they will pay these prices have really calculated up the expense this would cost to purchase all of the states eventually (assuming they will all be released at some point).

I was curious how much it would cost me to buy the states down the road so I crunched some numbers and here is what I discovered. This is based off of 45 states remaining because I didn't add Hawaii or Alaska.

High Case Scenario - $19.99 USD (18.00 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $899.55 USD (804.93 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $919.54 USD (822.82 euro)

Mid Case Scenario - $ 9.99 USD ( 8.94 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $449.55 USD (402.26 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $469.54 USD (420.15 euro)

Low Case Scenario - $ 4.99 USD ( 4.47 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $224.55 USD (200.93 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $244.54 USD (218.82 euro)

Let's say they decide to release packs of 3 states at a time. 3 States for 17.99 USD (16.10 euro)
This would cost approx - $ 5.99 USD ( 5.36 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $269.55 USD (241.20 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $289.54 USD (259.08 euro)

The next prices will be the bargain section. Let's say they decide to price them down a bit to make it more affordable.

$ 3.99 USD ( 3.57 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $179.55 USD (160.66 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $199.54 USD (178.55 euro)

$ 2.99 USD ( 2.68 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $134.55 USD (120.40 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $154.54 USD (138.28 euro)

$ 1.99 USD ( 1.78 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $ 89.55 USD ( 80.13 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $109.54 USD ( 98.02 euro)

$ 0.99 USD ( 0.89 euro) per state - - - All 45 States = $ 44.55 USD ( 57.75 euro) - - - - - - - + Base Game $19.99 USD (17.89 euro) - - - - - Grand Total = $ 64.54 USD ( 57.55 euro)

I am by no means saying they are going to price the states at any of these price points. I'm only trying to give a few reference points to look at. Also, we may never get the full Continental USA released. We do not know at this point, so all of this might not even matter. Also, I can't account for variable pricing because the possible outcomes are endless really. I don't expect Rhode Island to cost the same as Texas obviously. They could also run a buy 2 get 1 free special as well or maybe a 6-10 pack of states for $20. Who knows. These things could obviously bring the price down a bit.

Another factor to think about with this dlc is the fact that a lot of people will just submarine the high prices and get it on a blow out steam sale special anyways. I would be hesitant to pay high prices on release knowing that they will quickly put the states on sale for 50% off or higher within a short time.

One idea that I think would be nice would be a "Map Pass" of some kind. Something for around $40-45 USD to grant access to all state packs released in the future. The only downside for SCS would be that this would really create pressure to move the time table up on releasing states because people would be justified to complain with super slow releases. You could still sell states individually, but this would be an option to reward your loyal following who felt compelled to support you upfront on your future endeavors. SCS wins because they get the money up front and truckers win because they get the expansions for an affordable and reasonable price.

*The conversion rates were done on google and current as of date of this post*
*I calculated the base game at $19.99 USD, if you paid less than subtract the difference*
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#137 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Jun 2017 11:51

TBH I don't see the point in adding up DLC prices any more than I see a point in adding up lottery ticket cost, CD/Music purchases, Book purchases, DVD purchases, and Games. At the end of the day you're either going to buy it or your not, the totally cost is irrelevant. It's certainly interesting to see the potential costs, but be glad we don't do things like that in general.

Just for the sake of it he's an estimation of my costs, and this is low balling it so it's probably a lot more.

In the past 15 years I believe I have spent £3917.20 on DVDs, £449.50 on Music, £1899 on games (not counting DLCs) + consoles, £1502 on my PCs (not taking into account part updates and replacement HDDs - just initial build costs), £7000 (probably more) on lottery tickets since 1994. I could have saved myself £14,767.70 if I had added it up first and stopped myself buying it all :o

I'm never doing that again. I'll stick to ignorance and impulse buys :D
[ external image ]
flight50

#138 Post by flight50 » 23 Jun 2017 12:58

@moh1336 - you seem to block everyone's ideas and opinions. We are all speculating, we are all giving opinions. No one knows what SCS plans are for anything related to their games. But it does seem that thru out this site, you try to shut everything down. I think prisonerofthehighway made a very good post. It put a lot in perspective. SCS pricing will fall into one of his categories whether we like it or not. His estimates are very valid in my opinion. For many, that puts this game out of reach in the future. And we just may not get the entire 48 down the road. What's wrong with speculating as we do on this thread or any other.

As far as getting extra states along with NM, do you know the 100% answer to that. No, SCS did not state when this or that will drop. I agree that we get what we get when we get it. On the other hand, what is there to say that we won't get more than NM. Unless you know something that I don't, you are purely speculating as well.

As far as my pricing thought goes canuckster, prisonerofthehighway list put my thought's into words. I judged pricing off common sense. I agree that SCS will price accordingly. Which is why the mid case scenario above would be the target range and no more. I just can't see a company trying to get 40x the amount of it's base game.

Moh1336 if you want to thrown in your dvd collection or what not in (completely irrelevant) but here is food for thought. Since 2001, I also collected movies. My collection so far is right around 800 or so in just dvd and blu rays. I have paid anywhere from 5.99 up to 29.99 for 3d blurays (roughly 30-35 titles). If I used the common U.S. dollar purchase price of 19.99-22.99 that is$18,392 bucks. No one in their right mind will pay for content for ATS down the road at that price. I have 7-10 PS4 games that charge 59.99, I have about 20 or so PS3 titles that where 49.99 that I have also bought over the years. Add those up. Throwing out those numbers are irrelevant to this game. Everything you and I just mentioned are independent of one another and does not have any connection with a base game. ATS and ET2 does. SCS won't overcharge just because of quality and detail they place in the game. They chose this route and the will suffer by it as well if they price out of greed.
MGDawson

#139 Post by MGDawson » 23 Jun 2017 13:07

Effort made in creating maps =/= map size or content.

There's several aspects into making expansions, including research, asset/plot creation, new road forms (if needed), creation of the map, creation of the roads, gas stations and industries, scenery placement, QA & internal playtest and then release. However, New Mexico is getting a whole load of new map assets, and from what we've seen, it's nearly complete.

Personally I'd estimate it releasing just after or within a couple of weeks of the Steam summer sale ending.
ATS (8 drivers, 7 trucks, 4 garages) & ETS2 (86 drivers, 90 trucks, 96 garages).
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#140 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Jun 2017 13:13

flight50 wrote: 23 Jun 2017 12:58 you seem to block everyone's ideas and opinions. We are all speculating, we are all giving opinions. ... But it does seem that thru out this site, you try to shut everything down.
I make no apologies playing devil's advocate what so ever. If people can't deal with contrary opinions then that's unfortunate for them, it certainly isn't an issue for me and I get contradicted a lot. :lol:

However, if you feel my posts are in some way inappropriate then by all means use the report button and let the mods deal with it. It's what they're here for after all.
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”