New Mexico Discussion Thread

saur44l

Re: new mexico dlc

#91 Post by saur44l » 20 Jun 2017 16:03

Kudos to the map makers at SCS if the entire state of New Mexico is of same quality as the screenshots on your blog page,I said before I will say it again,quality before quantity.I am glad that you guys are following the same formula.Some things are worth waiting for.............Great job guys.
angrybirdseller

#92 Post by angrybirdseller » 20 Jun 2017 16:36

SCS to need to balance qaulity with bringing out content at decent intervals what they did in Scandivana DLC LOD is sufficient and would not go beyond that as turn around time on content and price tag people are willing to pay is unknown with ATS.

Need to find balance with new content and not taking one year per state. If one state comes out a year anybody 35 years old and older will be worm food. We can only live so long according to accrual tables. Do have 70 year customer nowdays :lol:
lukk

#93 Post by lukk » 20 Jun 2017 17:52

I hope SCS will increase draw distance, so we can admire these new landscapes. I hate when the objects (especially the mountains) pops up on the horizon when I drive.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#94 Post by Mohegan13 » 20 Jun 2017 17:55

There's so many different teams involved in map making from the research teams, to the asset makers, and the actual map makers, there's no way for us on the outside to gauge what takes the most time. Quality in the accuracy of the roads? Quality in the assets visually? Which area are you referring to directly?

At a pure guess I would say that the biggest time consuming part is quality control. Going through the new things with a fine tooth comb trying to find any bugs, graphical issues, misplaced items and that type of thing.

Sure it would be nice to see a map update every 6 months (which is still possible since we're only in month six) But I would rather wait 24 months for top quality than rush something out to please impatient people, who would still moan next year that 6 months is too long.

I happen to be 36 in August, so apparently I should be worried about dying before seeing New York? Yeah, considering I could walk out of my house tomorrow and be hit by a bus (which would be weird since I don't live on a bus route) I'm not too worried about time. None of us know when our ticket will be punched, so instead of grumbling about what you want, look at what you've got and be grateful you were there to see it.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Chrodazar

#95 Post by Chrodazar » 20 Jun 2017 19:44

so many seasons have come and gone since i been waiting on this DLC...whats a few more....guess saying that still does not make it come any faster =P
Tarso
Beta tester

#96 Post by Tarso » 20 Jun 2017 20:32

Me and my crazy arguments again:

Only the 4th state released some would say, but i prefer to say that with New mexico we will jump to ~16% of continental US made, what makes me happier about the future and the speed of the developing.

Also gives Moh more hopes to reach New York, except for the bus part of course :roll: , but take care buddy while crossing roads :mrgreen:
azgoodaz

#97 Post by azgoodaz » 20 Jun 2017 22:05

One of the stubs got updated 6 hours ago ( https://steamdb.info/app/526940/subs/ ). New Mexico is nearing release.
Sora

#98 Post by Sora » 20 Jun 2017 22:34

I mean, neither metric's perfect. I don't think any metric really is for something like this.

We will have only four states, but they're four of the largest. But they're also three of the most desolate (and California's population is relatively concentrated as well), so landmass isn't necessarily a metric of progress either. But it also shouldn't be totally ignored, because in the interest of satisfying gameplay it's sometimes important to include relatively minor roads/cities to fill out the map (see Tonopah). And it's also hard to gauge just how much work later states will need, too. For one, they're building up their collection of prefabs. But even without that, much of the eastern half of the country is relatively more basic grassland/forest that shouldn't take quite as much time to implement as the mountainous west or the unique environment of the northwest. There's also the matter of their map teams gradually gaining more experience with the tools, and on the other end, SCS's continuously increasing standards.

Trying to make sweeping statements this early on, be they positive or negative, just seems kinda impractical. Even the most vague of progress estimates would be inherently flawed just because there are so many moving parts to take into consideration, especially after accounting for the fact that this may very well be the longest wait between states that we have (as we had the rescale after Arizona, we don't know what additional mappers may be up to, and New Mexico itself is relatively large anyway while also beginning the trend of denser roadways that starts between I-25 and I-35) -- which would skew potential assumptions even further.

In any case, while I'm normally on board with the whole 'quality before quantity' thing, I'm not going to lie here: I'm very hungry for just a little more variety in my routes. As long as I could just get a couple more states to play with (and at least one of them being Utah), I'd be fine waiting multiple years. Quality and quantity are both very important, and while I don't mind waiting a long time for quality, I can't help but be a bit selfish in wanting a little bit more quantity before I do that.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#99 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Jun 2017 05:54

azgoodaz wrote: 20 Jun 2017 22:05 One of the stubs got updated 6 hours ago ( https://steamdb.info/app/526940/subs/ ). New Mexico is nearing release.
Explain to me how "S DLC" stands for New Mexico. :?
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
room217au

#100 Post by room217au » 21 Jun 2017 09:16

Moh1336 wrote: 20 Jun 2017 17:55Sure it would be nice to see a map update every 6 months (which is still possible since we're only in month six)
It has been 16 months since game release. That is a long time between drinks.
Yes, there was a re-scale in that time. I fear that initial scale decision may prove to be a colossal blunder.
Yes, the improvement to the 3 state beginning was really nice.
Yes, we have been given multiple trailers and I r-e-a-l-l-y like that.
But. 16 months? With each passing week people grow more weary of "look at these cool pictures" or whatnot. It's swiftly coming to the point where people aren't gonna want to buy any map DLC because all their needs are met with mods.
We haven't seen that with ETS2 but it had a LOT of content to begin with.
Given that France DLC for ETS2 had 20,000km of new roads.. would it be reasonable to maybe entertain the idea that SCS is including more than one state in New Mexico Expansion?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.

Return to “General discussion about the game”