ATS game engine showing it's age.

Shurpecks

Re: ATS game engine showing it's age.

#91 Post by Shurpecks » 02 Jul 2017 02:45

TwinShadow wrote: 01 Jul 2017 21:29 Assetto Corsa is a whole different ballgame though. I'm not denying the feat they accomplished though (I do own it), but different park altogether compared to a truck simulation as opposed to a racing simulator.

Each company has their own policies and methods in how they want to accomplish their work. They do what works best for them, and has been the case through the decades of gaming.

I have no doubt we'll see DX11 in Prism3D in the future. When that occurs, who knows. All good things take time when an engine wasn't coded from the ground up for a particular rendering engine.
Of cource it's the other. I don't demand to throw away Prism3D and buy engine of Kunos Simulazioni. I've just demonstrate the possibilities, which exist today, that's all. Firstable, about physics of suspension, quality of cars (they wrote in the one of interview about lazer scanning)weather possibilities and of cource graphic performance with fantastic quality with the same system requirements. Their approach to getting license (they are the first company to destroy the monopoly of EA for the Porsche) could be interested for SCS also. But they know better what and how they going to do, you are wright.

About DX11 i don't think what it's bring a major changes... More stable maybe, but no more than that. Here the compare for example:
viewtopic.php?p=762897#p762897
Cadde

#92 Post by Cadde » 02 Jul 2017 11:40

If every game developer as far as the graphics engine is concerned had the capabilities to make stunning games then there would still be that one developer out there that would make something that looks even better and some people would still complain about that.

But that just isn't the case.
  • Prism3D is OLD but it's also very "involved" in that the games we have now really do depend on the capabilities of the current Prism3D implementation.
  • Should SCS change the graphics too much or too fast then the engine will either break compatibility with it's own games in a not so easily repairable manner, or it would become unstable and have you guys looking at "Application has stopped working" message boxes all the time.
  • Even IF SCS were to make grand changes to the graphics engine and even IF they then were committed to fixing all the bugs that have arisen from that change, there's NO guarantees that the implemented changes will have any positive effects in the end.
  • And all of that sorely depends on what developers they have in house currently who can, not only implement the new improved changes on a clean code base... But whom can also do that on TOP of the current Prism 3D implementation without it breaking horribly. Otherwise, they might as well start over from scratch.
And as always, you guys can post screenshots from games 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 101, 102 and 103 all you want. But how about you actually MAKE (or at least try to) a game first. Or a technological demo or anything even resembling what SCS have achieved.
I mean, look at Skin Previewer, it's not nearly close to being versed in loading models fully and it sure as heck doesn't load all the attachments and place them. And it's not even considered to load animations. Not to mention, the whole world around said loaded model.
And i already know that the Skin Previewer, even IF it could do all that, would perform like a dead sloth with epilepsy.

Sure, for the sake of argument, i could possibly give... say Unity... A try and load SCS assets in there. It could possibly even run well.
But again, it would be a FAR FAR cry from a full implementation of all the games features. It doesn't matter what engine it is, Unity, Unreal, Prism3D, FrostBite 2 etc etc... The current games are tightly tied in with their engines and their engines are sorta tied in with the games as well in a sense.
The only long term solution therefore would be to start anew. And i am not so sure SCS have the developer power to accomplish that in a timely manner. Even if they are hiring new people all the time.
On extended hiatus.
flight50

#93 Post by flight50 » 02 Jul 2017 16:10

For those that are unhappy with the game engine there are only 3 options as I see it. Don't play SCS games, accept the current engine for what it is, or wait till the next installment. This deep into ATS and ET2, is just asking for trouble. We trying to get dlc states here. They don't need to be adding resources to a game that is not even 2 years old yet when they have 10 years or more to go to possibly deliver all 48 states. If they are working out bug and kinks for the current engine, imagine what it would be like trying to satisfy the few that object the current engine. Tackle the engine problem in 5-10 years from now.
Cadde

#94 Post by Cadde » 02 Jul 2017 21:48

By the way, whenever someone asks "why does game X look so much better than Y. All you need to do with Y is make it like X and everyone are happy" i would like to remember to ask them "Why doesn't game X offer the same features of game Y?"
I've seen a lot of beautiful games throughout the times. Most of those beautiful games have crap for content, features, gameplay and replay value. Meanwhile, i have seen games that look absolutely horrible but offer a lot in content, features, gameplay and replay value.

Let me list a few screenshots from games that lack in the looks department but wins hands down in all other areas to... say... Assetto Corsa.
Bonus points if you know the titles without a google search.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And i could go on and on. Point is, looks isn't everything. And usually when a game is really a looker but i still play it for reasons, then i down the graphics settings to gain performance.
On extended hiatus.
Frontiersman

#95 Post by Frontiersman » 02 Jul 2017 21:51

Not often I see a moderator double post. Had to rib ya, sorry.
Back to the point, you've nailed it. If people stopped comparing X to Y there would be less whining and more enjoyment.
Cadde

#96 Post by Cadde » 02 Jul 2017 21:59

The forums made an oopsie, not me.
On extended hiatus.
marcf

#97 Post by marcf » 02 Jul 2017 23:58

Cadde wrote: 02 Jul 2017 21:48 Bonus points if you know the titles without a google search.

(Pictures)
Don't know
Colin McRae rally 1 or 2?
Minecraaaft
Transport tycoon deluxe / Open TTD

:D
'changing an engine for a game' isn't as simple as opening a config file and changing a variable, and some games you can't just change config files to allow a map 10 times bigger than standard and expect it to work
Enjoyingorc6742

#98 Post by Enjoyingorc6742 » 03 Jul 2017 07:41

isn't the base engine basically the same since ETS1? if it is, it is showing it's age though it still looks beautiful imho. there is a limit to what engines can do before an upgrade is needed, look at the Gamebryo engine and Bethesda Game Studios for reference.
Axel Slingerland

#99 Post by Axel Slingerland » 03 Jul 2017 08:31

No. According to Martin Český they write a new version for every game. Except in the case of ATS, which has a modified version of the one from ETS2. However, I would think some elements are essentially the same, just slightly different from version to version.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Cadde

#100 Post by Cadde » 03 Jul 2017 09:22

Axel, i would say they updated Prism3D a lot when making ATS and then applied that to ETS 2 as well. But of course it's not a new engine.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “General discussion about the game”