ShareMods... why?

bobgrey1997

Re: ShareMods... why?

#31 Post by bobgrey1997 » 21 Jul 2017 18:50

You have to know what websites first, right? I don't know what websites are dangerous until I see the pop-ups, which wont happen until I know which sites are dangerous to "whitelist" them... That's just an endless loop, which is actually kinda pointless... "Yeah, whitelist the bad areas..." Whitelist on ad-block, blacklist on antiviruse... That's how that do...
CobraBlue6

#32 Post by CobraBlue6 » 21 Jul 2017 19:13

A lack of popups does not mean a site is not malicious.
bobgrey1997

#33 Post by bobgrey1997 » 21 Jul 2017 21:08

True, but the ones that DO have the pop-ups are near sure to be! If there are NO pop-ups, who knows? If a site wants to give me non-closable pop-ups, I want it to be able to so I know to leave and not go back...
Axel Slingerland

#34 Post by Axel Slingerland » 22 Jul 2017 00:19

bobgrey1997 wrote: 21 Jul 2017 09:38 Want my support? Use a distribution system that won't drown me in a river of pain and sorrow...
I don't think they care about your support. They have enough support from other people, they don't care about you. To them, you're worth all of 1\1000th of a penny. They don't care if people block all the garbage that other people put there. They still get their 1\1000th of a penny every time someone downloads one of their mods.

However, even if I didn't block that garbage that is on these websites, it's hardly a "river of pain and sorrow" to close a couple of popups whenever I would go to one. But I do have it blocked, and I never see them. I also have other software such as anti-virus, anti_malware, etc., so that if any of that garbage tries to stick to my computer, it doesn't. So no problem here...
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
EricF

#35 Post by EricF » 23 Jul 2017 14:19

I use uBlock Origin and Disconnect together. That tends to stop most ads and trackers dead -- sometimes to the point of breaking some sites' pages so I have to whitelist. Which is OK with me; I'd rather tinker a little and browse safely, and whitelist sites I visit regularly that are responsible and trustworthy with their ads and ad-hosts. (Note, "responsible" in particular. I know of one site for another sim I use frequently which has had ads hijacked on their advertiser's server that triggered malware alerts. They still haven't changed to a better ad host, so I will always black their ads. Internet safety comes first.)

Another handy browser add-on is HTTPS Everywhere. Using HTTPS by default, when available, is good. Also, it breaks some improperly configured pages, which again requires tinkering with settings if I want to view them -- but it also breaks improperly-configred ads that slip by my other blockers. Which can be useful for things like the sharemods ads that try every possible trick to slip past blockers.
System Specs for Beta and performance comparisons:
Ryzen 9 5900x - 32GB RAM - NVMe SSD - RTX2080 Super - 3440x1440 Ultrawide - TrackIR - T248 Wheel/Pedals
Blackspots

#36 Post by Blackspots » 01 Aug 2017 02:22

And here's the new IP for the adserver: 35.188.14.213
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
Axel Slingerland

#37 Post by Axel Slingerland » 01 Aug 2017 03:32

I don't notice any difference on sharemods (or any other website) between before and after installing Block Site. I did when I was using it when I did not have Adblock Plus, but now that I do I don't see any difference. So Adblock Plus must have been doing fine without it. On the other hand, Block Site does however work well on sites that detect Adblock Plus and won't let you do anything unless you disable it. And there are an ever increasing number of them lately.
[ external image ]

Blackspots

#38 Post by Blackspots » 01 Aug 2017 05:12

I just add the adserver IP address to my router's blocked IP addresses. That eliminates everything.
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
Axel Slingerland

#39 Post by Axel Slingerland » 01 Aug 2017 05:30

Not quite everything... Just that ad server and whatever else is on that IP address. There are millions of other ad servers and assorted other crap on the Internet, so I keep my security software.
[ external image ]

Blackspots

#40 Post by Blackspots » 02 Aug 2017 02:31

What I meant by everything was it eliminates all pop ups on Sharemods, until they change their IP for that again.

Return to “General discussion about the game”