Boycott modsats.com

Dazlistic

Boycott modsats.com

#1 Post by Dazlistic » 23 Sep 2017 15:01

This site really gets under my skin, It is the same uploader for all mods who is cashing in on other peoples hard work
in the modding community. They have two links for the new Coast to Coast 2.2 map by Mantrid, neither are the
correct link or map and many people are complaining that the map will not extract, or it only has 1 scs file instead of 2
or the game is crashing in many places. This all causes Mantrid and the team bad press, which is very unfair.
Plus they do not get the small amount of cash per download they deserve, which would go on map improvements.
I have tried many times to leave a comment about fake maps etc, only for my comments to be deleted.
Everything on that site is uploaded by farmingmods2015.
Last edited by Reef on 27 Sep 2017 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to: American Truck Simulator >> General discussion about game
andrei383

Re: Boycott modsats.com

#2 Post by andrei383 » 23 Sep 2017 15:26

Hahahahha, if only such boycott were to occur. The problem is the forum population is such a small fraction of the total mod downloaders and even if we (on this forum) all boycotted the site, there's tens of thousands still ready to click whatever new link comes on that site. And since both the re-uploaders and mod-hosters make money, they won't move an inch to respond to any sort of "copyright" complaint. This is not helped by the fact that any search for "ats mods" on your search engine of choice puts modsats on the top, conveniently pumping more money into the wallets of those people.

So, go on, try to boycott it (I personally have), but see if it makes a difference. There's hundreds more of these mod sites. Unless the entire community steps up (I mean, every single player of ETS2/ATS), nothing will change.
Dazlistic

#3 Post by Dazlistic » 23 Sep 2017 15:39

Hi Andrei, I completely understand what you say, and that forum users are a very small percentage. I too have boycotted the site and any others
that have fake mods, it just sickens me that some people think they have the right to cause bad press for the original modders hard work
because they do not have the decency to have the proper mod on their sites. How many people are out there now that think C2C 2.2 is rubbish,
All because of someones lack of brain cells ? I would like to point out, I do not know Mantrid and the team, I was using the mod as an example.
flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 28 Sep 2017 00:49

Well I don't use map mods so they won't get a dime from me. For me, if SCS didn't do the map, I don't use it. I have a few truck mods but primarily I only want trailer mods along with a few scs file tweaks here and there. If there is money to be made from someone elses hard work, people will definitely do it to cash in.
CarCat

#5 Post by CarCat » 28 Sep 2017 01:16

I boycott every online mod site except for atsmods.lt and modland; At least on modland I know the guy is mods82 and I can tell when he is the uploader. And atsmods.lt is mostly legit. It's the same guy, and he is ripping this community to shreds. And he never speaks anywhere. I've Pm'd the guy a million times, no response. He uses the same farmingmods2015 account for uploadas and the like. We should just get him banned on those accounts IMO. modsats was the only one actually started by him, though.
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
TomDooley

#6 Post by TomDooley » 05 Oct 2017 07:05

What I find most offending is their "It's only fair to share" slogan. My mods have been repeatedly shanghai'ed there usually by unauthorized re-uploaders out for the tiny margins of the modhoster ads, recently even by a-holes claiming to be me, and you get NADA replies if you request to remove them.
They have no idea of "fairness" and are a disgrace to the very concept of a community.
Axel Slingerland

#7 Post by Axel Slingerland » 05 Oct 2017 08:19

All of which should be expected when you release something (anything) on the Internet...
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
WerewolfCustoms

#8 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 05 Oct 2017 08:44

Eh, this is the reason why years ago we released a site where mod authors could upload their mods and even keep track of their versions... and much more. But it never really caught on. Traffic was abysmal, so we just left it to die slowly. :( Also, not many people wanted to work on it. (Big thanks to the ones who did!)

So, I guess these mod-stealing sites is what the community acutally wants...
SiSL
SCS Software

#9 Post by SiSL » 05 Oct 2017 08:48

WerewolfCustoms:

Those sites are for pirated game players already, they don't have much morals... see their originated places, almost all of them are from countries where common folks are poor.

if those "uploading sites" stop giving out "money per download", see if any of them will do that... Even infamous modders will stop doing mods :D
TomDooley

#10 Post by TomDooley » 05 Oct 2017 12:12

Thank you, Axel and SiSl, you nailed the reasons why I've effectively stopped my projects.

Return to “General discussion about the game”