I always wondered why the AI truck drivers...

Lynodie

I always wondered why the AI truck drivers...

#1 Post by Lynodie » 07 Oct 2017 03:20

... won't haul doubles and triples. Then i installed a mod which changed that. That mod simply added doubles and triples to the list of possible trailers for the AI truck drivers.

99% of the time this works flawless, the AI drivers haul even triples like a boss. But sometimes strange things happen.
20171007045108_1.jpg
This truck drove slowly onto the highway, then suddenly the semi and the first trailer skyrocketed, crashed to the ground, bounced off the ground like they were made of rubber, "jumped" back into the sky and crashed to the ground a second time.

Something like this happened the third time since i have installed that mod.

I guess this strange and rare behavior is the reason why normally the AI drivers won't haul doubles and triples :D
Axel Slingerland

Re: I always wondered why the AI truck drivers...

#2 Post by Axel Slingerland » 07 Oct 2017 09:01

Well, you could say that, but it might be more accurate to say that the program wasn't written for that. You have to remember, there are no actual "AI drivers". "They" are just models programmed to appear to be driving. And maybe the reason why they do those odd things is the programming that makes them appear to be driving wasn't written for doubles and triples, just singles. If that is the case, maybe someday they will be... Another possibility is that the mods programming isn't the same quality as the SCS programming. A minor glitch in the program might cause that odd behavior...
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
flight50

#3 Post by flight50 » 08 Oct 2017 04:44

If I recall correctly, the AI don't haul doubles and triples because basically just the tractor is on tracks. The trailer just follows. Anything other than a single trailer just isn't realistic looking in the game as of yet. I believe I read a thread once where someone from SCS basically said it was attempted but it just didn't work right. When issues arise with the AI, they can not correct themselves as a human player can. All you can do is respawn eleswhere, vacate the scene or reload to get rid of the situation.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#4 Post by Mohegan13 » 08 Oct 2017 08:27

Never had any issues with my doubles and triple mods. The AI coped with them just fine. The only issue is collisions, if they have a bump the truck and first trailer goes flying off on their own.

You have to realise that the system for multi-pivots is the same one used by the trains, if there were issues there the trains would only have one trailer too ;)
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.

Return to “General discussion about the game”