North Dakota
9%
Illinois
16%

Total votes: 523

Bob123412

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5071 Post by Bob123412 » 22 Mar 2021 23:48

You've got to remember that NYC and most of New England for that matter, was built before anyone had any knowledge of how to build a proper road network and now its too densely packed to fix it in any sort of reasonable way.

@flight50 I might just make a post detail my thoughts on AI profiles after I think about it a little bit longer.

I've had that same scenario happen in ATS that you just described. It does break the immersion but it is what it is. I do hope it gets fixed soon. My big three are Ramp merging issues, Slowing down at the junctions where roads widen/narrow /lane ends and Traffic that slows down and then changes lanes to overtake instead of catching up and overtaking without slowing down.
Vinnie Terranova

#5072 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 23 Mar 2021 07:19

The biggest problem with AI is not that it behaves like an idiot. Also it is not the fines I get when I crash into idiotic AI traffic. No, the biggest problem is the damage my truck and/or trailer gets. So a long time ago I made a no damage mod. But the problem with a no damage mod is that you can actually ignore AI traffic completely: you can crash into dozens of AI traffic without any damage. And that's also an immersion breaker.
BattlePeasant
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Galaxy The Milky Way, Solar System, Earth

#5073 Post by BattlePeasant » 23 Mar 2021 09:16

I think this traffic behavior is part of the challenge to the player. The game has developed advanced algorithms to create difficulties for the player. The generation of huge traffic when you need to join the flow or make a maneuver, the behavior of AI drivers, road works - all this is activated when you have a small margin of time before the end of the delivery. If the trip is nominally 5 hours long and rest starts in 7 hours, your trip will turn into a nightmare. You will be called to each weighing station, and then huge traffic will be generated in the right lane, with the left one being empty. Cars will suddenly slow down at traffic lights so that you do not have time to pass through the green light (and outside the cities the delay will be huge). Trucks and cars will move at inexplicably slow speeds, blocking the entire width of the road. The situations created by the game cannot be won by following the rules. The game provokes a traffic violation. The challenge becomes the cultivation of hatred.
Generation of traffic should be made random, depending only on the day of the week and time of day. Add drivers with different patterns of behavior to the traffic (Bob, I agree with you, but I have suggested this before). The phases of the traffic lights should be randomized. All random events should be randomized.
More chrome for the god of chrome.
Vinnie Terranova

#5074 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 23 Mar 2021 09:58

@BattlePeasant Challenge to the player? ATS is a simulation game, not a platform game... A simulation game with a very easy economics. And with a very bad AI. A bad AI that needs to be fixed.
BattlePeasant
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Galaxy The Milky Way, Solar System, Earth

#5076 Post by BattlePeasant » 23 Mar 2021 12:28

@Vinnie Terranova, this issue has been talked about a long time ago, but it hasn't been fixed until now, and I'm sure won't be fixed until New England is released. This is not bad AI, it is a set of algorithms that put pressure on the player. This will not be fixed as this is the intention of the SCS. If the majority of the players make it clear to the SCS that they do not want to see this in the game, then this may change. But those who talk on the forum are not the majority.
More chrome for the god of chrome.
joschac2

#5077 Post by joschac2 » 23 Mar 2021 13:24

What? The Ai can't even handle a basic merge. The constant break breaks, slow traffic and Ai just crashing into each other is not how IRL works

Ai don't even act like real life. most people move over or flash thier beams to let you on while at speed. Not SCS Ai. They just slam on the breaks at 70 MPH to let a stopped truck on

I do agree that there should be Slow vehicles, two trucks in two lanes doing the same speed, but its happens way to often. PLus the AI love the Right lane for some reason.
And the main thing that annoying is when i,m on a two way road, when a AI decides to pass the car/truck ahead slams the breaks and the car passing takes its sweet @$$ time ti pass.
I also get much more annoyed than pressured when the Ai does this stuff. Its made me quit ATS many times already

The Ai SCS has is quite basic, its just a line on the road
flight50

#5078 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2021 15:26

I agree that the AI behavior is part of the challenge. The problem is that the AI isn't fluid/natural enough. One fix could be to increase the braking distance of the AI. Double it. Its to abrupt right now and they act more like brake checking. Smooth out the braking so that everyone behind that braker, can adjust. Most people in real life are predictable if you pay attention to drivers. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good and I am usually 80% correct on what most driver are about to do. Vehicles should come to a smoother stop in general. Its okay to have those 1-2 AI profiles that Bob mentioned, but the entire entourage of AI brake checking and sudden stopping should be addressed at some point. Now that 1.40 is wrapping up for both games, perhaps its time to focus on the AI if SCS said on the 2020 xmas stream that streets are about to get more active. Not to mention MP coming. The AI imo needs to be better for that.

Active cities......that translates to very busy ATS cities. US cities can be quite large. The road networks can be a mess and that generates traffic. If cities can be more about time of day (perfect example is Cip's traffic mod), then the flow of traffic and the congestion of traffic is a lot more immersive. Cip's traffic mod is a lot closer to what real life traffic is and that would be ideal to have in ATS imho. An overhaul of the AI, traffic lightings and traffic signs all come into play to work together to make an even more immersive gameplay feel. Not only does the AI need to be fixed for more immersion and business, but MP is about to be a thing in SCS games as well. Baby steps. Everything has its time and place to make things just that more realistic.

Wyoming is coming in a few months. Texas will follow eventually. The cities in Texas could possible feel like cities and that will be great. 6-9AM and 4-7PM should be hell on wheels in just about all major Texas cities. I am sure the same can be said around the US base on their time zones. What they do with this Texas map will trickle over to every other large city available. California is getting rebuilt. Its traffic is just as bad if not worse. We have Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Vegas, Denver......these are some of the largest cities with the widest roads in the game yet they are somewhat empty. We know that SCS is catering to weaker machines but as long as there are options for traffic density, everyone can fine tune their game and max out if they'd like. No longer should limitations be for all. Provide options across the board and let people pick what works to their liking. Its the small details that will keep people playing and supporting the game.
joschac2

#5079 Post by joschac2 » 23 Mar 2021 16:46

Ai should force thier way in in busy traffic
interstate trav

#5080 Post by interstate trav » 23 Mar 2021 19:28

I know 5is is a dumb question but what does Al mean?

Please just let me know don’t make fun of me. Lol

Return to “General discussion about the game”