North Dakota
9%
Illinois
16%

Total votes: 523

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5211 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 08 Jun 2021 11:24

Okay, then let's go back to your first example: Denver, CO to Billings, MT. In this case we wouldn't have Wyoming. So to drive from Denver to Billings would be something like I-70 or US-40 to Salt Lake City, UT, then I-15 to Butte, MT, and then I-90 to Billings, MT.

Of course this would be a very unrealistic route, but in this case with the absent of Wyoming, it would be the most obvious route. That's why I said that a C-shaped map is even worse than an L-shaped map. On the other hand: it's about driving in a map that is available in ATS. If we would have a C-shaped map, we would have to deal with it. We wouldn't have a choice anyway. Luckily I think SCS is smart enough to realize that a C-shaped map is not what most gamers want. So in the end I am/was not afraid that we would get Montana first before Wyoming.

In the unlikely event we would get Montana before Wyoming, well, then I would drive from Denver via Salt Lake City and Butte to Billings. And while driving I would think of a story like 'The Yellostone supervolcano has erupted, so all of Wyoming is covered in a thick layer of volcanic asches, so we'll have to avoid driving in Wyoming for the time being'.
Tristman

#5212 Post by Tristman » 08 Jun 2021 11:28

For this particular route (CDA to Burlington), I would prefer Montana first, as it allows you to skip US-95 down to Boise. US-95 is a beautiful scenic road, but not one you want to drive every single run.

That said, I still prefer Wyoming before Montana, because the other way around would just isolate eastern Montana from the rest of the map.
oldmanclippy

#5213 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Jun 2021 13:46

Montana being first really would have only benefited Idaho and to a lesser extent Washington. For example, here's some routes you could take to get from CDA to Twin Falls:

[ external image ]

I would imagine that the one in blue might be the most popular for truckers since it's all interstates. Idaho Falls you'd definitely take the blue route, and probably for Pocatello and Utah as well.

But the benefit that Wyoming will provide Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico, and to a lesser extent Oregon and Washington, cannot be overstated. It won't be the same revolutionary addition to the map that Utah was from a transit perspective, but it is an integral piece to the puzzle and waiting to do it until after Texas (which is what would have probably happened had Montana come before Wyoming) would have been a disaster for the shape of the map. The current ordering of the next three states is fine, and although many of us would have preferred Montana before Texas it's not the end of the world. Idaho will get its day in the sun soon enough.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Shiva

#5214 Post by Shiva » 08 Jun 2021 19:54

Allie Knight has taken US-93 south from Missoula, in 1 of the videos, as far as I remember. Destination was close to American Falls.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Bob123412

#5215 Post by Bob123412 » 09 Jun 2021 01:19

As far as the Coeur d'Alene, ID - Burlington, CO goes, I agree with vinnie. As I am unfamiliar with the area, I would more than likly just follow the GPS. The route it plots is
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 08 Jun 2021 08:01 I-90 to Buffalo, WY, I-25 to Denver, CO, and then I-70 to Burlington, ID.
Of course on the question of which comes first. Wyoming. any south bound loads coming out of eastern montana would just be too much of a pain the have to drive all the way around wyoming.

As far as the answer to back roads vs interstates in general. I run back roads whenever I get a chance as long as it doesn't make me lose too much time. The anwser to the question is so dependant on other variables that I can't give you a blanket answer.
Here are some but not all the variables:
Traffic density

Elog vs paper. Elog I tend to take the fastest route. Paper I take the most enjoyable route.

Load stability. Is it top heavy? How sharp are the corners on the route? Can I run the corners at full speed without tipping the load or the whole rig?

Weight: Is it a heavy load or light load? lots of hills or few hills? Lots of safe passing lanes?

Top speed: how fast can the truck go? is it speed limited? if less than 60 I take the shortest route.

Overall I prefer to take scenic back roads with nice winding corners as they are more enjoyable to drive, however most of my days are spent on the interstate which I find tiresome and mostly boring, however I do it because of elog. At night back roads can take up less time to drive on than in the day due to the reduced traffic density
flight50

#5216 Post by flight50 » 09 Jun 2021 01:59

Yeah, real life has more factors to consider than ATS. ATS, the risk factors aren't the same and we have 1:20 scale. I'm a backroads guy as well as the interstates do literally put me to sleep. The perfect scenario though is to announce Montana to follow Texas. The size of the map upon Montana's release at that point would be awesome. That I-90 gap is huge but we must make due until it comes. I-15....that too will be a joy to finally get. US-93, yep another completed road that would be nice. US-2, hopefully it connects to Washington at the time Montana comes. A new start to I-94, is a nice thought. It more than likely goes to Glendive. MT-59 should pick up from Wyoming. But 94 won't be able to continue until 2026 or beyond perhaps. There is no rush for it. We'd probably hit the East coast by the time North Dakota arrives.
hangman005

#5217 Post by hangman005 » 09 Jun 2021 10:57

I-70 in my opinion has to be the best Interstate in the game, I do quite enjoy the interstates but surface streets are much better moving with the land scape by large instead of steam rolling over it. Do any others even come close?
SmokeyWolf

#5218 Post by SmokeyWolf » 10 Jun 2021 12:28

Me personally being a real driver from CDA to Denver I would take I-90 to I-15 to US 30 to I-80 to US 287 to I-25.

By taking US 30 you avoid Salt Lake and shave off quite a few hours.
oldmanclippy

#5219 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Jun 2021 21:10

Well after visiting Omaha I don't think it will be too challenging of a city to make. There will most likely only be 5 directions out of the city (I-80 west, I-80 east, I-29 north, I-29 south, and US-275 west), and only 4 major interchanges if they plan the depots right. This is an example of how they could do it (green for depot locations, blue arrows pointing to interchanges):

[ external image ]

The interchange furthest to the east is really just one large interchange, as the north/south road there in Council Bluffs IA (S Expressway St) is just an I-80 Local exit as part of the I-80@I-29 interchange. Railroads are the name of the game in Omaha, and there's plenty of opportunities for more generic depots to be used as well. I-29 coming from the north has a very early view of the skyline so that might be challenging to replicate, but other than that Omaha should be pretty easy. The I-80@I-29 interchanges are pretty complex but not too much more complex than the ones in Denver or Las Vegas.

They'll have to recreate the major buildings in the skyline, TD Ameritrade Park, and the dome at the Zoo, but that's not too bad. Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge lights up at night so that'd be important to include as well to see off of I-29.

A lot of this calculus changes if they divvy up Omaha and Council Bluffs and/or the city between Nebraska and Iowa.

EDIT: 6 interchanges, missed the I-29@I-480 one
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#5220 Post by flight50 » 10 Jun 2021 21:32

Not to bad of a layout with Omaha. I can work with that. US-275 is iffy for me though. We could make an argument for US-6 instead considering it has some parts in the game already.

I'm finding it hard to not include US-75. Kick start it with the High Five in Dallas. I think that is should be a major North/South hwy in ATS though. It starts in Dallas and runs all the way to Pembina Minnesota and runs into I-29 there. Majority of that route parallels I-29. Which is cool because it gives a close proximity scenic/backroads route. It could come in pieces too or SCS can cheat it and push its East a tad to give space between it and I-29. For me, SCS should include US-75 because it crosses some major cities that will definitely be marked in the game.

We have:
Dallas,TX,
Sherman/Denison, Tx, (scenic or marked)
Durant, Ok (scenic or marked)
Tulsa, Ok,
Topeka, Ks,
Omaha, Ne,
Sioux City, Iowa
Fargo, ND

Return to “General discussion about the game”