North Dakota
9%
Illinois
16%

Total votes: 523

oldmanclippy

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5221 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Jun 2021 21:46

On the way back, I took I-29 to Sioux City, and then US-75 to Le Mars. I could see us getting it from Topeka to Omaha and from Sioux City to Le Mars (if IA-60 and MN-60 are in the cards), but beyond that I'm not sure how willing SCS will be to have parallel roads that close to each other in ATS. I-5 and CA-99 are 30-40(?) miles apart, but US-75 and I-29 are about 5-20 miles apart for most of the way north of Omaha. It really just depends on how much SCS sticks to the philosophy of "do your very best to include the entire stretch of a road" once we get further east and US routes become more and more redundant compared to interstates. I like how @ads678 uses I-75 in their concept map in Kansas/Nebraska/Iowa. I don't know if it's super necessary in Minnesota.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Sora

#5222 Post by Sora » 11 Jun 2021 00:49

Regarding backroads vs interstate, I feel like this is probably the single biggest advantage that ATS has over ETS2 in my opinion. In ETS2, most countries are primarily one or the other, but in ATS both types of roads are sorta juxtaposed - so you usually have a lot of choice when it comes to whether you'd prefer to route through one or the other.

This won't last forever, of course - as we get further east, US routes will probably begin to vanish in favor of Interstates (which should logically be higher priority). But for the time being, it makes for very satisfying maps that can appeal to both sorts of drivers.
oldmanclippy

#5223 Post by oldmanclippy » 11 Jun 2021 01:01

Oh I agree that's one of the reasons why I would take ATS to the desert island if I couldn't take both of them. Lots of variety in roads, the ability to drive through cities instead of around the ring roads only, the trucks not sounding like go-carts, more consistency across the map, etc. The last one is the only one that is on SCS, the rest are just consequences of the difference between the US and Europe.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#5224 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2021 01:03

Lol. Yeah I-5, US-101, CA-1 and CA-99 was my first thoughts. But if you look at CA-99, there is a parallel road that flanks it. I am sure SCS would just exaggerate it and push them further apart as long as there is space to do so. I can see Dallas to Omaha though. Worse case we get it in segments. Kinda like you said, how long and how much do we get for the entirety of its length. We have several East to West and a several North to South roads in the Western region. But as we move to Texas, SCS will need to establish new North to South roads.

I agree with Sora in regards to using US and State hwys while you can. The East gets too compact and things will have to get cut for sure.
Last edited by flight50 on 11 Jun 2021 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Trucker_Tommy

#5225 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 11 Jun 2021 06:25

@flight50 love reading your dialogs. You’re teachings of the US highways and interstates with this city leads to that city via interstate x is incredible and extremely interesting especially for a non US citizen. I find it all fascinating to see what you come up with then what SCS decide to bring and then see what matches.
Shiva

#5226 Post by Shiva » 11 Jun 2021 10:33

oldmanclippy, that Omaha is quite nice.

Odd problem for me today on the forums.
The last page or pages of a thread, I can't access, just shows a blank page.
Atleast so far.
/edit:
And suddenly forum threads work again, with Firefox.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#5227 Post by flight50 » 11 Jun 2021 12:43

@Trucker_Tommy Thanks my friend. If one can read thru all the typos I make, lol. I just like speculating with everyone else. Anticipating what SCS will do baseD on how we are use to them mapping. All the tricks in the bag adds up over the years to enable them to tackle a lot of the issues they face. Thinking of things from a fan perceptive on what I'd like to see as well as what could be the issues the devs might have with the 1:20 scale limitation. There are several around that knows US roads just as well or even better than I. I just might be bit more active talking about it, lol. But because of SCS, I have also taken interest in learn roads myself. Prior to ATS, I didn't really care much to find out where this or that road took me if it was something that didn't affect me. So SCS games is more like a virtual Atlas for me. Combine that with big rig (something I've admired since grade school) and I'm a pretty happy camper.
_Roger_

#5228 Post by _Roger_ » 12 Jun 2021 11:34

Nebraska is a great oppourtunity for SCS, being pretty sparcely populated I'd love to see them do both I-80 and US-30/34 the entire length. They're only about 2 miles apart in real life, 30 going through all the towns, 80 byassing everything, would be perfect to give us the option of a rural drive through fields and farms or going 70 on 80 all the way from Colorado to Lincon, 300 miles. Won't have space to do anything like that in too many other states in the game. The next road north of 30 - The next road, not the next major road, the next thing going east-west - is 30 miles North.
Shiva

#5229 Post by Shiva » 12 Jun 2021 14:19

That could actually work.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#5230 Post by flight50 » 12 Jun 2021 16:10

I disagree. That won't work. US-30 kind of jumps around too much in my opinion and would cause too many scale issues. A linear road is always easier to map. Not a jagged one. US-30/US-34 is best off in segments like it is now. The better route to me is US-36. Its a lot more like US-50 as its more linear going East to West. US-30 is just too close to I-80 though. Mapping that one for its entire length would not be ideal because of the space needed to put scenic towns and/or depots off it. To many small towns that would not allow space for I-80 which is the priority road. If US-34 is 2 miles apart in real life from I-80, no way that works. At 1:20 scale that would be like 50ft apart or something. That won't work.

I would like to see US-34, US-36 and US-50 at least head East out of Colorado though. But I'd cut US-34 off at US-83 or US-385. US-36 maintains a much better distance to both I-80 and I-70 as it parallels both perfectly all the way into Indianapolis. By time we get to the Mississippi River, that is when the US roads might have to start taking a back seat to more Interstates anyways. Things will get too crammed the deeper we get into the Midwest and the Southeast. I don't think the devs make that clutter mistake the further East we go.

Lots of compromises must be made to have space. Unless they come up with some type of plan to enlarged the East.....space will always be an issue in the East. Roads systems in North America are different here. What they do in ETS2, won't work in the US. The massive interchanges takes up a ton of room and then putting a town/city around that junction takes up precious real estate. Truck stops, takes up a ton of room. Rest stops, weigh station, etc. ATS is 1:20 vs 1:19 for ETS2 so that little bit does add up and also goes against ATS. ATS has to be on a different approach imo.

Return to “General discussion about the game”