North Dakota
9%
Illinois
16%

Total votes: 502

Shiva

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5421 Post by Shiva » 20 Sep 2021 13:09

IvanKuz, warping the map after Texas release, that is a possibility.
As in making things gradually warped towards east. And to south and to north.
If that happens, we'll see it, when comparing map editor background maps.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#5422 Post by flight50 » 20 Sep 2021 13:16

Yeah I once mentioned at the Mississippi do a portal. To get across the Mississippi, a bridge is required anyways. Perfect spot to change scale if its possible.

Split the US East and West at the Mississippi. At the bridges do some type of depot or transfer portal for those that buy states East of the Mississippi. The Mississippi pretty much runs North to South along multiple state borders. Go to 1:17 or 1:15 max at that time. I don't see worm holes or warps working well. While driving, that could cause spawn issues with the AI. We need something with a loading screen like the ferry system. It works well with the UK and main land Europe.
pigbrother

#5423 Post by pigbrother » 20 Sep 2021 13:37

Nobody is going to change any scale, they didn't do it in ETS2, they wouldn't do it in ATS. Nobody's fault Rhode Island or Delaware are just football fields with statehood, that's the geography and that's it.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
fra_ba

#5424 Post by fra_ba » 20 Sep 2021 14:37

These small states would be something like Luxembourg in ETS2. In current scale, it's possible to include 2-3 cities in Delaware and I think it's just fine.
IvanKuz

#5425 Post by IvanKuz » 20 Sep 2021 14:38

flight50 wrote: 20 Sep 2021 13:16Yeah I once mentioned at the Mississippi do a portal. To get across the Mississippi, a bridge is required anyways. Perfect spot to change scale if its possible.

Split the US East and West at the Mississippi. At the bridges do some type of depot or transfer portal for those that buy states East of the Mississippi. The Mississippi pretty much runs North to South along multiple state borders. Go to 1:17 or 1:15 max at that time. I don't see worm holes or warps working well. While driving, that could cause spawn issues with the AI. We need something with a loading screen like the ferry system. It works well with the UK and main land Europe.
The point of portals is to make the transition between two areas seamless, with no loading screens or anything. Video games have been doing this for ages.

[ external image ]

If SCS can't make it seamless, then I'd rather they didn't bother with a different scale at all. The loading screen makes sense with the UK because you have to use a ferry or a train anyway, but it is going to look dumb in ATS where by all rights you should be able to just drive straight ahead from state to state.

If road segments are properly integrated on both sides of a portal, there shouldn't be any issues with AI traffic or GPS. The biggest challenge would probably be visual consistency: if the skybox and sun position aren't synced precisely, it would be noticeable. Disguising the portals with overhead bridges would solve this though.
VTXcnME

#5426 Post by VTXcnME » 20 Sep 2021 15:21

No doubt. Just be curious how that'll work.

If it's done as a bundle, with Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Mass/Connecticut/Rhode Island as one DLC, I could see them using that as a "single state" mindset and add major cities or capitals only where they'd fit. So for example, You'd have Providence, RI / Hartford, CT / Danbury, CT / Boston, MA / Springfield, MA / Manchester, NH / Brattleboro, VT / Burlington, VT / Portland, ME /Bangor, ME

That would spread the cities out enough that it wouldn't be one endless dot on the map. It would also be in line with the 10 or so cities they try to include per state (again, figuring the entire region will be mapped/bundled/sold as one unit). Either way, it'll be VERY quick through some of the states in the Northeast. NY line in Connecticut to country border in Maine in like 10 minutes. LOL.
Shiva

#5427 Post by Shiva » 20 Sep 2021 15:59

Map distortion would be easier than a sharp scale change or portals. For an ATS map "North America".
For the default zoom levels used for ATS, that distortion would not be noticeable. Or atleast should not.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Sora

#5428 Post by Sora » 20 Sep 2021 16:08

I highly, highly doubt that the east coast will be anything other than the 1:20 the rest of the map is in. Even now, I don't think SCS is thrilled about the UK being a different scale, and that's a far easier thing to hide than making the entire east side of a landmass substantially larger.

Rhode Island (2700 sqkm) is a little bigger than Luxembourg (2600 sqkm). This means two things: it's nothing SCS hasn't done before, and you're probably indeed just looking at Providence. But that's fine, because Providence is both Rhode Island's capital and largest city (just like Luxembourg City) - so that's all it really "needs". Delaware (5130 sqkm) is a little tougher if you want to include both its capital city (Dover) and largest city (Wilmington), but if SCS managed to cram six cities in to Corsica (8700 sqkm) I'm confident in their ability to fit two in an area over half the size - even if Annapolis and Salisbury encroach on what little territory the state has. I assume that Rhode Island and Delaware will, respectively, be bundled with surrounding states - obviously New England sans New York in RI's case, while Delaware will probably get Maryland, DC, and either Virginia or Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

None of the other states should be a huge concern. The jump in size from Delaware to Connecticut (12600 sqkm) is not trivial - we've gone from "a bit over half the size of Corsica" to "the size of Corsica, then half again". That should be enough space to fit 2-4 cities without serious issue even with NYC encroaching. Will it be dense, with rather short roadways between them? Of course, but that's to be expected since New England is one of the densest areas on the continent. Even in this case, they can still avoid the entire state being Interstate with the less-developed Vermont and Maine - both likely to have a fair number of lesser roads.

The I-95 corridor may well be the final boss of ATS map development, but it's nothing that SCS should be incapable of. Even with the tools and skill set they have now, I'm confident (based on Washington and some of the extremely dense sections of ETS2) that they can make something passable.
AlexxxF1

#5429 Post by AlexxxF1 » 20 Sep 2021 16:45

it makes no sense to change the scale in ATS. changing the scale, we also change the flow of time. and when playing in the same convoy, it will cause problems.
I would like to see everything in one standard. and not so that it will cause dissonance.
in ETS2 we also do not have Monaco, San Marino, Liechtenstein or Vatican because of the scale .
Tristman

#5430 Post by Tristman » 20 Sep 2021 17:09

I'm not so worried about Rhode Island and Delaware, but I think New Jersey, Maryland and D.C. could be a problem as they are still rather small but have more than one important interstate running through (and other than D.C. multiple important cities). I fear these states will look like 50% cities, 50% interstate (junctions). I also think these states won't be able to stand on their own as a DLC, so they really have to be bundled with something else imo.

Return to “General discussion about the game”