Illinois
16%

Total votes: 502

rbsanford

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#5441 Post by rbsanford » 21 Sep 2021 18:06

1:1 works for a flight sim because,

1. Planes are fast.

2. Planes fly, so you can skimp on ground details outside of airports.

It takes 4.75 hours to fly from San Diego to Bellingham. In the same amount of time, you can drive from San Diego to some point west of Delano. I don't think anyone would want to play a 1:1 scale truck simulator of even just the states we currently have, since it would take forever to get anywhere. I doubt many would want to make such a game either, because this would require a lot of work, as already said.

We already do have 1:1 (or close to 1:1) sections of road, like the Million Dollar Highway, Glenwood Canyon, Jackson Hole, US 24's grade up to the Red Cliff Bridge, etc. If these were rendered in true 1:20 scale, they would be passed through very quickly, and you wouldn't be able to get the scale, grandeur, and challenge of them.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Tristman

#5442 Post by Tristman » 21 Sep 2021 19:03

That's what makes the map good (and is lacking in the older parts of the map). You make the interesting pieces of road closer to real-life scale, and cut out the uninteresting sections that have little value in the game. The Reforma/Pazz rework of California does a great job at showcasing this.
flight50

#5443 Post by flight50 » 21 Sep 2021 19:12

Agreed. Remove the boring, emphasis the good. No way would I play ATS at 1:1. Anything larger than 1:15 is a lot of time that not everyone has.
Onagerlinn

#5444 Post by Onagerlinn » 21 Sep 2021 20:09

Even at 1:15, I dunno if I'd add a ton more content. Just create more room between cities, enlarge the onramps, just spread things out a little bit more so certain areas aren't cramped.
Sora

#5445 Post by Sora » 21 Sep 2021 20:16

I would certainly be willing to play a 1:1 truck simulator, but I have no delusions that the actual creation of such a map is even remotely practical.

Even something more "reasonable", like 1:10, would take either a long time or a lot of manpower to produce; in either case, you'd be looking at a much more expensive product. I'm not sure there's a big enough audience to sustain that, even for a game as significant as ETS2. Without automation of some kind, the practical limit for what either party (developers or customers) would be willing to put up with is probably around 1:15. And a switch to that scale is certainly not going to happen in the middle of either project - maybe it might happen for ATS2 or ETS3, as a way to get people to overlook how few trucks those games would launch with.
Vinnie Terranova

#5446 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 21 Sep 2021 20:33

Two things about a 1:1 scale:

1) What now seems to be impossible (recreating / modelling a 1:1 world within a reasonable amount of time that also is detailed enough for a truck simulator) can be possible in the future. Take a look at Flight Simulator 2020; we didn't believe for a very long time that a world like we now have in FS2020 would be possible. Yet it is...
Another example is the 3D satelite view of several locations in Google Map / Google Earth. Buildings are modelled in 3D including textures. I don't know whether this proces is automated or not. But again: what we didn't believe was possible for a very long time, is now possible.

2) Is a 1:1 scale sized map for a truck simulator boring? Not necessarely. I love to drive with the Dalton & Elliott Hwy mod, which is a 1:1 scaled map mod. And there are quite some other map mods that are made in a 1:1 scale; mods that are played by quite some people. This tells me that 1:1 scaled map mods don't necessarily have to be boring. Far from that.
Ofcourse there will be boring roads to drive on in a 1:1 scaled version of the US. But this might not be true for everyone. And there are things that can make boring roads less boring to drive. The more realistic the truck simulator would be, the less boring driving on boring roads will be; at least, that would be true for me. If I would have a realistic home-build truck simulator (with a realistic cabin, controls, steering wheel, shifters, hydrolic system for movement simulation and force feedback), realistic AI, realistic simulated failures like flat tyres, electrical or engine problems, etc , etc, within a realisticly created and highly detailed 3D environment, count me in.

I know: for now it's not possible. But in the future a lot can be possible.
flight50

#5447 Post by flight50 » 21 Sep 2021 20:50

Its not that 1:1 is boring, its the time you must dedicated to develop it and play it. 1:1 is real time. If it takes you 12 hrs to travel from end to end in Texas, it will take you 12 hrs in ATS. That is time many people do not want to deal with for one delivery. I might as well be a real trucker. 1:1 is only okay for lets say an entire city like Houston or DFW. A whole state.....that is a ton of work and might as well be just one state with limited dlc's. Addons but no more states. Maybe add on cities though. Its on the lines of if Snowrunner is 1:1. Your map is limited in range but you have add ons.
oldmanclippy

#5448 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Sep 2021 14:19

If the scale was 1:15 instead of 1:20, I wouldn't necessarily want more cities, scenic towns, depots, etc. Maybe a bit more but not what you would expect proportionally (78% more). I would want more like 10-20% more. If you fill it up with 78% more of everything, then we run into the same problem we have now. So increasing the scale should really mostly affect the distances between important things, not the number of important things themselves.

Of course increasing the scale is wholly out of the question at this point. I think 1:20 is within the realm of acceptability (1:15-1:20 is the optimal scale IMO), it will just be more challenging as we move east. But I still think SCS can handle it.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
parasaurolophus67

#5449 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 22 Sep 2021 14:20

plus it would be a longer timeline for usa to finish too. like maybe to 2035 or more.
flight50

#5450 Post by flight50 » 22 Sep 2021 17:33

Distance between cities would definitely be what I'd go for if scale increased. Enlarging cities means double the dev time. Just distance between might be more like 1.25 to 1.5 times the dev work. Most don't want more cities. But road density is a different matter. We could have more roads without it being city roads.

I like 1:20 though. I know I can sit and complete a job in x amount of time and not have play 2-3 sessions to complete a job.

Return to “General discussion about the game”