This guy don't like ATS or SCS?

GT182

Re: This guy don't like ATS or SCS?

#101 Post by GT182 » 11 Nov 2017 17:19

By real I mean highways as they really are. These areas, and they can be done to SCS's scale, are:

1. Cajon Pass in I-15: If you've never been done it your are missing one of the hairiest rides of your life. And there is a scale house half way down you must stop at. Have smoking brakes and you get a fine. Don't ask how I know, but I did not have a Jake brake my first time down it. it's not a little bump in the road like in ATS, Same as with 2 and 3 below. There's probably others too in northern California and Nevada, but I've not driven on them in an 18 wheeler. I've only been as far north in CA as Huron and Gonzales to pickup produce going back to Montreal in Quebec, but I've been all over southern CA.

2. Grape Vine: It's lanes do not cross one another as in ATS. Heading north its a steep climb. And even worse of at the top coming down. That's the reason for All Trucks Must Stop at the top. It's a straight shot down off the north side and if you can't keep your speed down you're in a pile of hurt... it's about a 2 to 3 mile drop. Do you love the smell of hot brakes. I sure don't. No Jake brake first time on this one either.

3. Tehachapi: This is a twisty high climb from the east. And a straight drop down off the west side... you can see for miles from the top. And hold on if there's traffic in front of you. Trains travel over Tehachapi and can be 4 miles long. I understand SCS can't do that.

4. I-10 is an elevated highway going into LA.

SCS states they are for realism not a Hollywood ATS. It's the small things such as these that add the realism. There's nothing wrong with checking Google Earth to see what our highways are like if you don't live here. There's no harm in looking.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
wolfedg

#102 Post by wolfedg » 11 Nov 2017 17:34

@GT this is largely due to the scale of the map as it is necessary to downsize all hills/mountains in the game to avoid scale exaggeration which would be quite extreme at 1/20. It seems you are looking for some challenging hills to climb and descend; hopefully once they get to Colorado there will be plenty of room to work with to make some realistic slopes as the mountains span a much larger area and the cities are sparser, but even that is a sacrifice in 'realism' from someones perspective as they would likely have to omit some mountains and exagerate others to do it.
GT182

#103 Post by GT182 » 11 Nov 2017 17:40

Well they could omit that mountain in Los Angeles. ;) There is none in the city itself. East a bit yes but not "in" the city. You actually come of a plateau that's east and northeast of LA. That's thats the reason I-15 down Cajon Pass is so steep. ;)
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Glutinous Rice

#104 Post by Glutinous Rice » 11 Nov 2017 18:00

GT182 wrote: 11 Nov 2017 17:19 2. Grape Vine: It's lanes do not cross one another as in ATS.
https://www.google.se/maps/@34.5537229, ... a=!3m1!1e3
bobgrey1997

#105 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 19:15

GT182 wrote: 11 Nov 2017 17:19 It's the small things such as these that add the realism. There's nothing wrong with checking Google Earth to see what our highways are like if you don't live here. There's no harm in looking.
It's also those little details that add an infinite amount of time on development. For example, if you want every true incline, curve, and elevated highway, where does it end? When do they decide to say they have enough? When you specifically are satisfied? What about everyone else? They can't add ever single little detail that everyone wants. It is impossible, as there are an infinite amount of details that can be asked for or demanded.
Also, again, they DO check Google to see how things look. They simply only add a small amount of it so that it fits within the scale.
Blackspots

#106 Post by Blackspots » 11 Nov 2017 21:10

I bet @GT182 wants a 1:1 scale game with every state and with everything in it that's in real life, with real companies and all possible brands of trucks in it.
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
daniel_bel

#107 Post by daniel_bel » 12 Nov 2017 09:02

And real money coming in after deliveries.. Bitcoins are OK. It's a simulation after all.
Domin Illum Mea
Born before Arpanet, playin' that way
Do you really believe Charles touched his nose?
flight50

#108 Post by flight50 » 12 Nov 2017 10:02

Seems as though the real problem is that the people who expect 90-100% accuracy, are ones that are well travelled or know some roads like the back of their hand. Their life experience is expected in a game such as ATS or even ETS2 for that matter. Thing is, one can not mix real life with a video game. Closest you can get is games such as f1 and grand turismo. Developers go out and scan these tracks for perfection. It's is a closed loop road and much easier to get 100% accuracy. Expectations for a video to duplicate real life, needs to be lowered. This game is basically being looked at as virtual drivable Google Earth, and that is not fair to SCS.

To many SCS is doing one heck of a job and that 90% really enjoys the experience SCS portrays. But that unhappy 10% will turn a happy moment into a frown real quick. It's funny how negativity triumphs positive. A bad encounter can royally screw somebody's day all up. It has got to be tough for SCS to read some of the negative post and blog comments. It has got to be annoying to not come on and explain things to that rant comment. At the same time it is the same stuff over and over. The rant today, is the same one from last week. The same one from last week, was the same from last month, the same from last month was the same from last year, so why bother is probably how they fell. It's a repeating cycle and a waste of time I guess for them.
daniel_bel

#109 Post by daniel_bel » 12 Nov 2017 10:12

Hear! Hear!

Anyway personally I dream about a rescale to 1:10 i.o. 1:19, it would feel less crammed. Some independent maps at 1:3 are really enjoyable. Hungary fi.
But yeah I know, it's 4x the area to work on...
Domin Illum Mea
Born before Arpanet, playin' that way
Do you really believe Charles touched his nose?
natvander
SCS Software

#110 Post by natvander » 12 Nov 2017 10:25

Don’t stop or put down people who provide constructive criticism. A lot of game improvements occur because people see mistakes or potential improvements and constructively report them. If it wasn’t for constructive criticism we wouldn’t have had the rescale, which IMO is the biggest improvement made to the game so far (New Mexico is great, but in part because of the rescale).

If someone thinks certain hills should be steeper, let them say that - it’s quite possible that they should. Looking at the climb and descent east of San Diego on I8 in Google Maps, I think that it should be a lot steeper. I think Donner Pass could be steeper. Ultimately it’s up to SCS to decide if it should be modified. But we certainly should state these things because that’s how the game improves - even the little things. If we don’t, more and more inaccuracies creep in making the job of fixing them harder and leaving the door open to another software company to make a ‘more correct’ competitor (seen that happen in a big way).

Of course I do mean constructive criticism. Whining and complaining and ranting are hardly mature means of communication.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “General discussion about the game”