#91 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 15:06

Simulation:
Noun
Simulation; plural noun: simulations:
Imitation of a situation or process.

Imitation:
Noun
Imitation:
The action of using someone or something as a model.

Model:
Noun
Model; plural noun: models:
A three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.

So, a "simulation" is simply a "model" of a situation or process.
"Models" are typically on a SMALLER SCALE than the original, meaning that not EVERY detail can be shown in the model.
This applies to ATS and ETS2.
"American Truck Simulator" is, under technical definition, translatable to "American Truck Model", meaning a "model" of "America Truck", or, to model driving a truck in America. Notice, this does not mention any specific location in America or any specific truck, or situation other than driving. Well, in ATS, you drive a truck, in California, Nevada, and Arizona (if you have no DLC), which are all in America. It also makes not mention of adding every "real" thing. It is a "model", not reality.
You know, I need to make a thread on both the General discussion, and over on Steam with these definitions so that every person who wants to complain "it's not the "simulation" it claims to be" can see it and realize, it IS the "simulation" it claims to be, under the technical definition of the term "simulation"!
ImageImage

angrybirdseller

Re: This guy don't like ATS or SCS?

#92 Post by angrybirdseller » 11 Nov 2017 15:15

The end of the day product gotta be fun and engaging. Make it 100% simulator like flight sim the product will lose appeal and end up smaller and smaller base of people to sell the product too overtime,

Seen this with flight simulators particularly rivet counters want every little thing to be 100% realistic its more about being fun and engaging to play. The flight simmers whine about lack of content and real reason is too busy criticizing developers adding items.

A lot us where around before the Internet people did not have keyboard and computer to hide behind to spew pure troll hate. When you say something to someone's face tend to be more cautious.

The guy hates ATS and ETS2 likely hates other items and they get thier power trip bullying, trolling on the Internet ,and receives money from advertisers. Social media is curse to society gives outlets to narrastic sociopaths to make money and gets them followers think the same.

It's 90% of customers love what your doing that all that matters. Always 10% that can't satisfy no point trying anyways.

T6A5

#94 Post by T6A5 » 11 Nov 2017 15:25

I personally find the trucking experience in ETS2 pretty true to life, at least in Slovakia. Some of the highway interchanges and road types are inaccurate (i.e. that intersection just west of Bratislava where you can head towards Vienna or Hungary should be a proper highway, not a 4-lane country road), but the actual scenery is pretty top notch, which I think is really what matters.

I can't speak to the other countries in the game and their accuracy.

bobgrey1997

#95 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 15:31

angrybirdseller wrote:
11 Nov 2017 15:15
The end of the day product gotta be fun and engaging. Make it 100% simulator like flight sim the product will lose appeal and end up smaller and smaller base of people to sell the product too overtime,

Seen this with flight simulators particularly rivet counters want every little thing to be 100% realistic its more about being fun and engaging to play. The flight simmers whine about lack of content and real reason is too busy criticizing developers adding items.

A lot us where around before the Internet people did not have keyboard and computer to hide behind to spew pure troll hate. When you say something to someone's face tend to be more cautious.

The guy hates ATS and ETS2 likely hates other items and they get thier power trip bullying, trolling on the Internet ,and receives money from advertisers. Social media is curse to society gives outlets to narrastic sociopaths to make money and gets them followers think the same.

It's 90% of customers love what your doing that all that matters. Always 10% that can't satisfy no point trying anyways.
Funny you mention the flight simulators. Not even they are 100% realistic. Sure, the physics is great, the detail of the plane is near perfection, and the communications are spot-on, but ever decided to do a low-altitude flight? I haven't, as I am too terrified of planes to actually play a flight simulator. But, you may notice the ground being... well... not very... "ground...ie?" It looks like a blob of green-ish brown, pixelated camo pattern. Sometimes a few trees or pointy things that are supposed to be building roofs, then some "okay" quality building models for some larger city high-rises, and that's it! Even with this, they still can't add much more content without sacrificing even MORE detail! ATS does it near perfect! A smaller scale means multiple good things:
1: you can actually travel the map without needing to call off work for the next week!
2: more manageable area to work with.
3: faster development time (would take YEARS just to get a single part of a state like Arizona or California)
4: more content (the time saved in mapping due to the smaller scale can go to new content like assets, events, technical fixes, new trucks, if the manufacturers will ever allow it, etc.)
Now, you are right though. While flight simulators may be the top of large-scale simulation, they still can't achieve a "PERFECT" simulation, and in the effort of still trying, they waste their time that could be used to add more content and variety to make it more enjoyable. Due to this, flight simulators are only ever successful if they are good enough for professional pilot training, in which case, they are not meant to be fun. ATS and ETS2 are not like this. They are meant to provide entertainment while also providing a RELATIVELY realistic experience, such as to be deemed "educational" in same cases. It is, however, not designed to be educational.
ImageImage

jaws

#96 Post by jaws » 11 Nov 2017 15:33

omg, close this thread already lol
My Flickr! My YT! 8-) I am Always on latest patch.
Room for random stuff..

Reinhard

#97 Post by Reinhard » 11 Nov 2017 16:16

I'm not into flight simulators until they got pretty flight-attendants!

Without I wouldn't even call it a simulator! :D

MandelSoft
SCS Software

#98 Post by MandelSoft » 11 Nov 2017 16:36

Model:
Noun
A three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.
I actually know it under another definition:

A simplified description, especially a mathematical one, of a system or process, to assist calculations and predictions.

But even then, the whole "simplified" part can also apply to ETS2 and ATS.The scaling forces us to simplify things. Controls can be quite extensive, but it should work with just a keyboard too.

But there are mathematical models in there too: the AI is simplified too, because otherwise it would require too much calculation power, and the challenge for SCS is to do it in real time that even low-end computers won't struggle with it. Now that's an achievement!
╔═══╦═══╦═══╗──╔═══╗
║╔══╣╔══╣╔══╝──║╔══╝──╔═╦╗
║╚══╣║──║╚══╗──║╚══╦══╣╔╝╚╦╦╦╦══╦═╦══╗
╚══╗║║──╚══╗║──╚══╗║╔╗║╚╗╔╣║║╠══║╔╣══║
╔══╝║╚══╦══╝║──╔══╝║╚╝║╔╣╚╣║║║══║║║══╣
╚═══╩═══╩═══╝──╚═══╩══╩╝╚═╩══╩══╩╝╚══╝
I'm a Dutchie in Czechia!

bobgrey1997

#99 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 16:47

jaws wrote:
11 Nov 2017 15:33
omg, close this thread already lol
Nothing wrong with this thread. It is about the game, in it's current state (1.29). It is currently being compared to flight simulators for some reason, but it still relates, so no reason to close it.
Reinhard wrote:
11 Nov 2017 16:16
I'm not into flight simulators until they got pretty flight-attendants!

Without I wouldn't even call it a simulator! :D
Good point. "It's not a true simulator unless it includes ALL roles of airplane employees!" :lol:
I simply don't like them for one simply reason: airplanes. These things terrify me more than anything else! There is this old road in Conway, and another in Little Rock. They are called "Airport Road" and I stay off of them!
You know what made me VERY angry? While working on my map of Arkansas, I finally got done with the intricate insanity of the one-way roads at the Clinton National Airport, then my editor crashed while working on a sign! HOURS of AIRPORT got deleted. I loaded back in, noticed this, and said "ya know what, Little Rock don't need no airport today!"
Freakin' airports...
MandelSoft wrote:
11 Nov 2017 16:36
Model:
Noun
I actually know it under another definition:

A simplified description, especially a mathematical one, of a system or process, to assist calculations and predictions.

But even then, the whole "simplified" part can also apply to ETS2 and ATS.The scaling forces us to simplify things. But there are mathematical models in there too: the AI is simplified too, because otherwise it would require too much calculation power, and the challenge for SCS is to do it in real time that even low-end computers won't struggle with it. Now that's an achievement!
There are many definitions of just about all word, so I decided to use the relative ones here, but it seems even the unrelated definitions are still relative! Either way, the end result is the same, it would seem, no matter what definition you decide to use! :D Have you noticed my new thread in this section? I think I summed it up pretty nicely...
ImageImage

Reinhard

#100 Post by Reinhard » 11 Nov 2017 16:53

Well, save often! But I know the feeling. Also there is an automatic save feature - to a different folder.

Return to “General discussion about game”