Signals for pedestrians at traffic lights

flight50

Re: Signals for pedestrians at traffic lights

#11 Post by flight50 » 09 Nov 2017 12:53

I can do without the pedestrians if all this needs to take place, lol. The one thing I love about ATS and can't stand in ET2, is that in ATS we can turn right on red without penalty. In the US, as long as there is not a sign saying "No turn on Red", you can turn. Having pedestrians at crossways would make the turn on red frustrating. It would get old quick. I would be okay if it was very limited like random events though. But now we are increasing the number of polygons per scene to load up. Will it be taxing on slower computers? That is a question to be noted. Is it worth it for a truck driving sim. We all know SCS is going for as much realism as they can pack in the current engine, but there are limits. They do read the forums and blogs and try to accommodate some of the request. We will see if this is one or if they will pass.
T6A5

#12 Post by T6A5 » 09 Nov 2017 13:04

Lombra wrote: 09 Nov 2017 10:13 I remember some game where pedestrians would always jump out of the way at the last moment, so you could never hit them.
I think this is a fairly common thing, so as to not restrict the game to ages 12+. When I was younger I played a lot of Midtown Madness 2, a racing game in which the whole point was to drive like a maniac around London or San Fran, and the pedestrians were experts at jumping out of the way in time.
mpuone

#13 Post by mpuone » 09 Nov 2017 13:56

I would prefer them just jumping out of the way, not the most realistic, but at least I'm not smashing into a wall. Also, people cross the road in Promods and you just pass through them, which is another alternative, but I'd prefer some reaction animation.
ohaha

#14 Post by ohaha » 09 Nov 2017 19:18

one problem is when the player has already entered the crossroad, there should be some detection, cancelling the collision box and, subsequently, preventing the "people" from crossing the street. but I guess it's doable...

but actually making "people" cross the street is a lot of work. they'd have to do several (dozens, at least) animations of pedestrians, crossing the road, and make sure that any combination of animations won't result in "people" walking through one another etc.
also, it should be some kind of animation that you can loop, while the person is waiting for the green light (so they don't look like statues), then go further to the actual crossing of the street, when the light goes green etc.
then, after they're on the other side, what happens? the animation should continue with them walking away. but, how do you make this compatible with all cities, all possible crossroads etc? they are not all the same, the road might bend one way or the other etc.
so, this would mean they need to be somehow dynamically adapted to the place they're spawned... quite complicated.
Retired, but still loving it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”