Game performance vs graphics quality

Hell_Raiser

Game performance vs graphics quality

#1 Post by Hell_Raiser » 10 Nov 2017 00:16

I know a lot of people love the recent optimization changes, and I definitely think most players will benefit from them, however some have negatively effected the graphics quality/immersion. The main one I can think of is the recent changes to LOD ranges in 1.29. While these definitely help people playing on laptops and weaker computers, those of us on higher end machines and large monitors can clearly see the higher LOD load in.

I am currently playing with all the graphics settings maxed out, at a constant 60 fps (graphics card is limiting it) and watching plants load in, street signs pop up, ai traffic spawn in, and mountains jump in. While I do think the game is beautiful as it is, especially when you stop moving, I would really love to see the load ranges increased at higher settings, and the LOD values bumped back up at max.

I understand that it is a tough line to walk between performance and quality, but I would love to see some more work done on the higher graphics settings. Maybe a new level could be added so those who are barely running the current max settings can keep their quality the same, and those of us with room to improve could do so. What do you guys think? Is anyone else watching everything load in when you are almost on top of it?

SiSL
Beta tester

Re: Game performance vs graphics quality

#2 Post by SiSL » 10 Nov 2017 00:28

Open your console and play with these values of

g_lod_factor_traffic
g_lod_factor_parked
g_lod_factor_padestrian

Higher the better visual, lesser performance
Lower better performance, lesser visuals

As 50 degrees FOV user with i7 4770 + 980 Ti, I prefer value of 1.5 for each.

I also dislike about "popup" mountains but not much you can do about it, that it can only draw a limited distance there.

mpuone

#3 Post by mpuone » 10 Nov 2017 02:31

My performance has definitely tanked. I used to play on ultra everything with a mostly stable 60 FPS. Now I run medium-ish just to try and keep above 50... Plus the pops are getting annoying.

Specs: I7-4790k - 980 ti - 16 GB Ram

Hell_Raiser

#4 Post by Hell_Raiser » 10 Nov 2017 02:34

Anything I can do about the signs and vegetation? It was the sign poles over I-10 in Tuscon AZ that pushed me over the edge, they loaded in after the overpass behind them.

Mephic

#5 Post by Mephic » 10 Nov 2017 09:34

On a side note if you want to search for fps impeovements while not loosing actual quality play with mirrors quality and distance. They tank fps like crazy.

Moh1336
Beta tester

#6 Post by Moh1336 » 10 Nov 2017 09:36

Yes they do, each mirror is essentially has it's own copy of the game world going on. Using single mirrors and no hood mirrors can help dramatically.
My Blog/Mod page: http://ijsmods.wordpress.com
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.

Tirol

#7 Post by Tirol » 10 Nov 2017 10:03

We would actually need sliders for the LOD settings. The console solution is not optimal and passes many normal users.

Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 10 Nov 2017 11:37

Please SCS, roll out a "500 sliders" DLC. :D

You don't need the console for that. Even though the console is very nice to test different values, much more precise than any slider.

No. You simply fix it permanently in the config file.

Tirol

#9 Post by Tirol » 10 Nov 2017 11:38

Then we need a SCS Tuning Tool where we can set all config file Parameters with explaination.

Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 10 Nov 2017 11:53

If one doesn't understand what a feature is about, no slider will help. Sliders are fine, but to clutter the menus with stuff only a very tiny fraction of people should ever use is no good. What's the real difference between "g_lod_factor_traffic" and "lod factor for traffic" next to a slider?

Many people will use it, just for trying, and change the default values without even understanding what they have done to the game. And later protest that the AI vehicles have become "so ugly".

Return to “General discussion about game”