Is it possible to increase terrain drawing distance?

Reinhard

Re: Is it possible to increase terrain drawing distance?

#11 Post by Reinhard » 14 Nov 2017 08:09

Reinhard wrote:
11 Nov 2017 15:02
Nothing is lowered, the most remote draw distance is still the same: around 1600 meter.
I have to correct myself. In the meantime, with the final 1.29 release, the draw distance for "far" objects seem to be shortened to around 1480 meter. I just did some measurements in the map editor. No other mods in the mod folder than the bare minimum to test this.

EDIT: I did some more testing, because I thought some higher precision couldn't hurt. Now I worked with absolutely straight roads and and XY aligned nodes, to have a better judgement than a mere approximation. I should now be able to have it down to, say, 5 meter.

Result: it is even worse than I thought: around 1420 meter for any object set "far". I'think I've seen something around 1600 meter, in the past, for ETS 2, a good while ago. Now with ETS 2 1.28 it is the same: around 1420 meter. Am I dreaming that I remember something better before the final release of 1.29?
Last edited by Reinhard on 14 Nov 2017 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Tirol

#12 Post by Tirol » 14 Nov 2017 09:21

Since the version 1.29, the LOD Distance is unacceptable.

Axel Slingerland
Global moderator

#13 Post by Axel Slingerland » 14 Nov 2017 11:59

I've never had that problem with trucks popping up in front of you, but I agree about the mountains. They way they pop in and out is definitely an immersion breaker. The biggest one of several in the game, and the only one that (as far as I know) can not be fixed with mods.
You can call me Ax

flight50

#14 Post by flight50 » 14 Nov 2017 13:30

Overtaking is risk in itself. It should only be done when you are sure it can happen. I would think screen resolution has more to do with that. I have gotten caught a few times myself but never because of pop-in. Its mainly because I did it when I shouldn't or I attempted to pass when I was too far back and got caught. I do see the pop in with mountain regularly though. Doesn't bother me too much because I know there is nothing I can do about it. But the trees, I noticed are drawn in almost 2 miles down the road. I even saw flags in NM drawing way down the road without popping in. My settings are not maxed out but I am right under that as everything is set to high. I don't have anything set on Ultra.
Last edited by flight50 on 16 Nov 2017 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
LOOKING TO BUY AN SKRS SHIFTER?
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES

They'll take your payment immediately yet they show no signs of fulfilling orders,
I ordered mine July 6, 2017 and they WILL NOT communicate with me at all!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

cipinho

#15 Post by cipinho » 14 Nov 2017 13:46

Vinnie Terranova wrote:
13 Nov 2017 14:42
There is even a greater problem with drawing distance... When I want to overtake I don't want to take a risk to crash into incoming traffic. But de drawing distance of incoming traffic is too short. Sometimes I'm overtaking and then suddenly an incoming truck pops up... I must brake very very hard to avoid an accident.
as a traffic density modder, I can come with a little advice regarding this problem. in my traffic mod I have set a certain distance after which the traffic is removed, and my numbers are 800 m forward and 500 m backwards for ProMods and 1000 m / 600 m for Vanilla map.
in case in your game these numbers are smaller or doesn't exist at all (check in def\traffic_data.sii), in places with very good visibility it may happen that opposite traffic pop-up suddenly in traffic :lol: 800 m should be sufficient, but I haven't checked everywhere. this distance can be easily increased, of course will have quite high impact on game performance (expect fps drop).
P.S. I don't care much about the pop-up mountains :lol: I find traffic more important than any other object on the map ;)
Enjoy driving with Real Traffic Density for ETS2 1.28 and ATS 1.29
Feel free to test also my innovative Cars and Trucks colors mod

Reinhard

#16 Post by Reinhard » 14 Nov 2017 18:32

I don't care too much about the LOD distance. I understand the never ending fight for performance, and I can mod it. Or even configure it.

Popping traffic annoys me, but mostly it will happen in such a distance that I can live with it. Not saying I like it, or even can ignore it.

Popping of all classes of very big objects: mountain models, steep far terrain, forests and tall buildings, all this drives me nuts. To me this is the most terrible problem of ETS and ATS, since the beginning. I'm totally avoiding the otherwise beautiful alpine regions since years now. Imagine a public streaming with these landscape errors happening on an official event. Would "we can't solve it for performance reasons" be acceptable as a proper answer to somebody in the audience?

I had high hopes for engine improvements of 1.29 tackling this, because I read some talk indicating such. There is indeed a new system which in theory could overcome these problems, "far models". I've played with it, and in the current state it unusable for the most problems with far distances. Usable only for "models" , only if placed at the horizon, not suited for cities (where the tall buildings usually happen to be). No scaling is possible, and no conversion of existing mountain models to a "far model" can be applied. So to fix existing landscapes, using this? Forget it, not possible, and probably was never intended.

Sigh. :? Well, I still hope we get this solved. Some day.

ShirBlackspots

#17 Post by ShirBlackspots » 15 Nov 2017 16:00

When I place things on the map, I make sure I always use the far distance, because I know how people don't like things popping in close to them.
ETS2 Map Combo: ProMods, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, Southern Region, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map, Italy Map
ATS Map Combo: Viva Mexico, Coast to Coast, Project West, CanaDream, RickPP's I-10 ATS

Return to “General discussion about game”