Is it possible to increase terrain drawing distance?

canuckster

Is it possible to increase terrain drawing distance?

#1 Post by canuckster » 11 Nov 2017 04:59

Is there any way to force the game to draw the terrain further away than it does? I'm not particularly fond of how mountains are drawn, literally watching them render in the distance and I'm max on all settings, so is there something in the config I can change? Something like drawdistance=10 or something?
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Pining to drive the Trans-Canada Highway... some eventual beautiful day.

Tirol

Re: Is it possible to increase terrain drawing distance?

#2 Post by Tirol » 11 Nov 2017 07:14

Hopefully the representation of the distant mountains will be optimized in an upcoming release. The pop-up mountains spoil the pleasure of the beautiful landscape.

wolfedg

#3 Post by wolfedg » 11 Nov 2017 13:31

I agree, we need a way to increase draw distance, one of the few shortcomings of this game.

mpuone

#4 Post by mpuone » 11 Nov 2017 14:03

I believed SCS lowered it to increase performance.. If that's the case, then I'd like a slide option to change it.

Reinhard

#5 Post by Reinhard » 11 Nov 2017 15:02

Nothing is lowered, the most remote draw distance is still the same: around 1600 meter.

What indeed has been introduced is a new system for very remote objects. But this is complicated to use, is only very sparsely used by SCS itself, and should for sure be used by map modders only in some rare cases, as well. Plus this is only possible for simple map-models. Not available for prefabs, roads, terrain, or vegetation.

I don't think that many mountains will get covered by this new approach, in future. First, because it is a huge amount of work. Second, because many mountains are scaled beyond the default dimensions. This is not possible right now, with the new system. Only default values of any kind can be used. Also, mountains that are made by "buildings" (a stretchable object type) can't be replaced by this. And finally, plentiful use of it would send the FPS performance down to the knees.

Oh yes, I would love to have a higher draw distance for "far" objects of any kind, in one way or the other. But this isn't available, right now. And the introduction of this new system in 1.29 makes me reluctant to have much hope for the near future.

SiSL
Beta tester

#6 Post by SiSL » 11 Nov 2017 15:22

Nothing is lowered in terms of scenery.

Only things changed are Level of Detail distances of AI (padestrian, vehicle etc.)

wolfedg

#7 Post by wolfedg » 11 Nov 2017 17:04

@SiSL The draw distance problem has always existed, yes, but as we get into more flat and open areas it becomes more and more apparent. Also I have noticed that some things load at different points. Mountains pop in from time to time, but lighted signs not far infront of the truck popping in is even more distacting. Of course these may just be engine issues that we'll have to deal with until they can upgrade to a superior graphics engine, but still worthy of discussion.

Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 11 Nov 2017 17:09

There are four different drawing distances: short, close, middle, far. Sometimes a too small distance is used, then you see a pop-up.

crow357

#9 Post by crow357 » 12 Nov 2017 14:46

Yeah, I was driving into Roswell yesterday and trees and signs kept popping into existence. Pretty distracting.

Vinnie Terranova

#10 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 Nov 2017 14:42

There is even a greater problem with drawing distance... When I want to overtake I don't want to take a risk to crash into incoming traffic. But de drawing distance of incoming traffic is too short. Sometimes I'm overtaking and then suddenly an incoming truck pops up... I must brake very very hard to avoid an accident.

Return to “General discussion about game”