American Truck SIMULATOR?

bobgrey1997

American Truck SIMULATOR?

#1 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 16:01

For everyone who may be angry that American Truck Simulator is not the "Simulator" it claims to be and should have more detail and accuracy to real places, please keep in mind the true definition of "simulation"
A "simulation" according to technical definition, is as follows:

Simulation:
Noun
Simulation; plural noun: simulations:
Imitation of a situation or process.

Imitation:
Noun
Imitation:
The action of using someone or something as a model.

Model:
Noun
Model; plural noun: models:
A three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.
Now, take a look at this.
If a "simulation" is an "imitation", which is a "model", which is typically on a "smaller scale than the (item being modeled)", then a "simulation" is therefore a "smaller scale" of what it is simulating.
Now, take "American Truck Simulator" and break it down:
"American"
"Truck"
"Simulator"

Okay, good. We have three terms. What do they mean?
Well, we already found "Simulation" and a "Simulator" is simply something at runs the "simulation", which is, in this case, the game itself.
What about the other two?
"American", meaning
Adjective
American:
Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.

Relating:
Verb
Make or show a connection between.

So, "American" means to "show connection to the United States or its inhabitants."

What about "Truck"?
Noun
Truck; plural noun: trucks:
A large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops.

Transport:
Verb
Gerund or present participle: transporting
tranˈspôrt/:
Take or carry (people or goods) from one place to another by means of a vehicle, aircraft, or ship.

So, "Truck" means "A large, heavy, motor vehicle used to carry goods from one place to another"

Here is what "American Truck Simulator" means, according to technical definition:
"American" = "show connection to the United States or its inhabitants."
"Truck" = "A large, heavy, motor vehicle used to carry goods from one place to another"
"Simulator" = "Model something on a smaller scale"
So, the game is therefore "to model carrying goods from one place to another in connection to the United States with a large, heavy vehicle".
Well, California and Nevada (from release) and Arizona (later base game) and New Mexico (DLC) are all "in connection to the United States" made in the game "on a smaller scale" in which you get to "carry goods from one place to another with a large, heavy, motor vehicle".
This game is named exactly as it should be, and it has the exact content it needs to be able to keep that name.
Real companies can not be added by SCS under law without the approval of those companies. New trucks can not be added by SCS under law without approval from the manufacturers of that truck.
100% realism is not feasibly possible with today's technology. The more detail and realism that is added, the longer it will take to get new content.
At some point, a "compromise" middle-ground must be found. SCS has decided that this 1:20 scale world is the most viable solution.
Nowhere, ever, in any form of marketing, advertisement, announcement, images, videos, or any other form, has any more ever been promised and/or guaranteed.

This is how the game is, why it is, and it will not be changed in such ways to hinder development or current growth. There is nothing wrong with this, and there is no reason to complain. I know this post will not stop people from complaining, but I do hope that it at least provided some answers and allowed some to realize what, why, and how, this game is as it is.
Good luck to all, and enjoy whatever it is that you enjoy!
Last edited by bobgrey1997 on 15 Nov 2017 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
flight50

Re: American Truck SIMULATOR?

#2 Post by flight50 » 11 Nov 2017 16:43

bobgrey1997 wrote: 11 Nov 2017 16:01
This game is named exactly as it should be, and it has the exact content it needs to be able to keep that name.
Real companies can not be added by SCS under law without the approval of those companies. New trucks can not be added by SCS under law without approval from the manufacturers of that truck.
100% realism is not feasibly possible with today's technology. The more detail and realism that is added, the longer it will take to get new content.
At some point, a "compromise" middle-ground must be found. SCS has decided that this 1:20 scale world is the most viable solution.
Nowhere, ever, in any form of marketing, advertisement, announcement, images, videos, or any other form, has any more ever been promised and/or guaranteed.

This is how the game is, why it is, and it will not be changed in such ways to hinder development or current growth. There is nothing wrong with this, and there is no reason to complain. I know this post will not stop people from complaining, but I do hope that it at least provided some answers and allowed some to realize what, why, and how, this game is as it is.
Good luck to all, and enjoy whatever it is that you enjoy!
Very good post. In a nutshell, perfectly worded. Only one problem, the complainers will not read and understand this. They are the ones that need to comprehend what SCS is providing. You have good intent Bobgrey to educate but you can not help the unwilling to be educated. I have slowly but surely understood the way things are. Like all of SCS's true fans, I still have my issues but they are very minor compared to a true complainer and those who rant of issues outside of SCS's control and for the lack there of. I have never been one to bash SCS for anything. I will however voice my opinion on the way I feel about certain things without hesitation. I am 98% supportive of what SCS is doing, has done, will do and what they have stated in the pass in their blogs to all be in good intention for its community. Rock on SCS.
bobgrey1997

#3 Post by bobgrey1997 » 11 Nov 2017 16:53

Well, to be fair, the majority of those who are unhappy with SCS and/or their games simply don't understand why it is as it is. While the majority of those who actually make motions on it may be a different story, there are still those who simply don't understand, and this post aims to help them understand so that they at least know WHY it is how it is, whether their happy or not. In many cases, they may still not be happy, but at least they will know that not much can be done about it, so complaining simply won't help. Now, I know that the group of people that will actually read this, and therefore realize they have no reason to complain, are of a minority, but at least it helps someone. For the rest of those who will still complain, I feel sorry for their inability to comprehend logic, but...what can ya do?
room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 12 Nov 2017 10:38

People make assumptions about things. "American Truck Simulator" ?? Wow! I can drive from Los Angeles to New York? It shows every building/house/pole/road/fence/river ? Wow! Any truck manufactured at any time anywhere in the USA, I can drive anywhere in the USA? Wow!

Then they see the game. Then the complaints start. Because people make assumptions.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
crow357

#5 Post by crow357 » 12 Nov 2017 14:37

I guess they've never heard of the "Model Railroad" simulator that many of us have in our basements.
SiSL
SCS Software

#6 Post by SiSL » 12 Nov 2017 14:40

For me it is "American Truck" simulator, a simulator that has "Trucks used in USA" in it" , it can be in Australia or Papua New Gine ;)
Scaniadriver1

#7 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 12 Nov 2017 15:31

russia not to forget :lol: :lol:
well,some of us forget that small town usa isnt build exact and with all states and what comes with that in this time.we have to wait a little ;)
GT182

#8 Post by GT182 » 13 Nov 2017 01:16

OK Bob. So you don't want anyone to complain, and then you make a statement about what a simulation is. But at the same time you do a map mod project to replace what ATS has done. That's a great new way complain! Best you take a good look in the mirror, because that's exactly what you are doing. Your complaining is done thru a map mod. Now doesn't that beat all. If no one complained we'd all be deep doo doo. Think about it, really think about it for everything that's not a "game" or "simulation".

I'm not bashing the ones that don't want anyone to complain. I'm laughing at you.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Tarso
Beta tester

#9 Post by Tarso » 13 Nov 2017 01:54

So, you are saying i`ll never drive towards Uruguay? because it still in American Continent. :lol:
Oh no 8-)

@Bobgrey nice post, i think i`ll make use of it a lot :)
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 13 Nov 2017 06:05

GT182 wrote: 13 Nov 2017 01:16 OK Bob. So you don't want anyone to complain, and then you make a statement about what a simulation is. But at the same time you do a map mod project to replace what ATS has done. That's a great new way complain! Best you take a good look in the mirror, because that's exactly what you are doing. Your complaining is done thru a map mod. Now doesn't that beat all. If no one complained we'd all be deep doo doo. Think about it, really think about it for everything that's not a "game" or "simulation".

I'm not bashing the ones that don't want anyone to complain. I'm laughing at you.
Bobgrey is making a map mod of the State of Arkansas and a couple of fictional cities if I am not mistaking. SCS is not even close to Arkansas yet. Bob is doing that because that is his home state as well as mine. He simply plays around in the map editor to pass the time as we do in the actual game ourselves. So there you go again assuming. To a degree we do all complain so I will admit to that. There is a thin line of complaining vs critiquing though. SCS will not be able to please all, they just have to please at least 85-90 percent to consider it successful imo. GT, I just honestly think your expectations for ATS are a bit too high for this game. You have too much life experience that you are wanting to see in a virtual world.

Return to “General discussion about the game”