Next ATS truck speculation

flight50

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#4801 Post by flight50 » 08 Dec 2021 06:24

The old trucks are pic referenced. The new ones are CAD referenced. So the body parts won't line up and it would be more tedious to fix things. But the biggest issue is ETS2. Why ETS2? If ATS'S 5 older trucks are rebuilt, there is double that plus some to rebuild in ETS2. Those trucks are in worse shape and is far older than ATS. The ETS2 crowd would be livid if ATS truck got rebuilt and ETS2 didn't.

Any truck other than the first five remade from scrtach, would be welcomed additions. They'd come built much better.....with or without CAD files. SCSshould just let them age with the game like ETS2.
harishw8r

#4802 Post by harishw8r » 08 Dec 2021 06:39

@Freeze338: It’s almost similar; Peterbilt has a better bottle holder now (unlike what we have in the game). Kenworth has a thicker mattress; Anyway the key point is that adding new parts to the older trucks would be such a bad idea.
flight50

#4803 Post by flight50 » 08 Dec 2021 13:11

New parts to older trucks isn't much of a bad idea. That's what we get if tuning parts came. That is the best that should happen with the older trucks. The bad idea is remodeling the older trucks from scratch. ETS2 hasn't done it so why should ATS have it. ETS2 has had grandpa's for awhile. ATS is 3 years newer and some people want all trucks to be on the same level as the newer ones. Trucks are not maps. They are more complex and under licensing. Maps, the devs can do whatever they want. Why should ATS trucks be remodeled if ETS2 has endured old trucks. Let the old trucks be. Adding tuning parts and minor reworks isn't to bad. Do some touch ups to the interior, redo textures, whatever. But basically scrapping the old trucks for newer models just doesn't compute to me.

People really only see the older trucks bad due to the fact that we have pretty good models now. Similar to the quality of maps. But like I stated, trucks and maps are not equal though. We pay for maps, not trucks. Maps are the premium part of the game. If we want more content like trucks, let them do new models moving forward. The older trucks are what they are unless tuning comes.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#4804 Post by Wolfi » 08 Dec 2021 13:38

Actually, from what I understand, I believe even Pavel mentioned it somewhere, SCS would love to redo old trucks, but they simply don't have enough manpower to do it. (I think it's not even a matter of licensing)
The vehicle team is mostly dedicated to work on new trucks and trailers and there's simply not enough skilled people to rebuild the oldies. Which as I said before, is a bummer, because I really think that new vehicle guys could work on those and just take their time.
And tuning packs aren't really a solution. Because the trucks only get a slight refurbishment. Yes it may work for some of the trucks, but most of them will still look dated and not accurate at all.

I guess the hard part here is: SCS would have to work on 2 trucks at a time, in ATS and ETS2, which is even more manpower devoted to a content that technically doesn't bring in any money. (Although this part is debatable, because there's a lot of people who got pushed away from the games because their favorite trucks look like broken toys)

So to sum it up, I don't mind getting facelift parts as addons to existing trucks, but only as long as the base truck is good quality - so it really works well for the Cascadia and somewhat ok for the MAN. But it wouldn't work at all for the T680 or Pete 579. Because a turd sprinkled with glitter is still a turd :(
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Some newbie driver

#4805 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Dec 2021 13:52

It's not they had no people that could redo the old trucks. It's more basic. Redo an old truck is the same work (modeling part, I count no licensing work) than making a new truck. How many trucks the game still lacks? The list isn't short and the vehicle team works at the same time for both games (so the list is very long).

Every old truck rebuilt is a completely new truck delayed. Maths are so simple as that.

Then, what is more important for the game at this moment? A more wide truck roster that allow more players to find what they want without relying on mods? Or to increase the quality of the trucks we already have? Objectively, I thing the first one is way more important now. Maybe in a few years, with 5 or 6 more trucks in ATS list plus probably some facelift parts like the one added in 1.43 and also hopefully several tuning DLCs; SCS could decide to start over some older trucks.

And all of this not even counting the same team does all the new AI vehicles added to game, all the trailers (where ATS still lacks a proper branded trailer DLC)... So, any complete rebuilt of any truck for any of both games delays lot of other kind of works we are awaiting way more.

We know they are increasing the size of their vehicles team (recently they need to expand the office to properly fit that department). Growing steady and slowly, because they had told us is one of the hardest workplaces to find candidates for; but growing anyway. We will see next year if we see any change in the rate of releases.

Regards
Wolfi
Beta tester

#4806 Post by Wolfi » 08 Dec 2021 14:19

Some newbie driver wrote: 08 Dec 2021 13:52 Every old truck rebuilt is a completely new truck delayed. Maths are so simple as that.
Yeah, except, it doesn't work like that. It's not like the entire vehicle team works on a new truck. As I said, there are people who work on trailers, AI vehicles, etc and new people, who learn stuff by making basic stuff.
And those new people could imo learn new stuff, by working on the old trucks, they don't have tight schedules, or deadlines, so no pressure - good learning material.
F4R35

#4807 Post by F4R35 » 08 Dec 2021 14:21

I'd rather get a rebuilt old truck than any new truck! I'd take a CAD model w900 than any new truck! and I'm sure a lot will do!
"Expectations are the thief of Joy"
Freeze338

#4808 Post by Freeze338 » 08 Dec 2021 14:56

I completely agreed with @Some newbie driver . There are plenty of trucks which is missing and it'll be a waste of time to not having those trucks in game while making a rework on older trucks.

I'm not against rework. But in current situation I'm against it. SCS should have released all missing models since the game released and keeping up the pace with manufacturers if they wanna make rework.
Some newbie driver

#4809 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Dec 2021 15:11

Wolfi, you are right with rookies could do it. But that doesn't change what I said either. If newcomers to the team could start reworking an old truck, they can start working on a new truck (at their pace, with the learning curve and extra steps). It's the same work (and we expect the same quality result) with one single difference: if that truck has a deadline (like happened with those more recent trucks that arrived in collaboration with manufacturer's IRL release). In that case of course senior staff must be tasked to that project.

But the game lacks a lot of trucks already released IRL, so they don't depend on the redline of doing some event coordinated with the brand. Any rework done, even by a new staff member is time not used on a new truck done. It will always be that way, unless SCS would have no possible candidates in the pipeline (something that I'm sure Oscar actually manages not to happen). So it's all about when the game could have a wide base enough of content so divert efforts to rebuilding old material would be OK.

Regards
Wolfi
Beta tester

#4810 Post by Wolfi » 08 Dec 2021 15:39

Problem is: in game dev every new content has a deadline. Even if it's not set by external manufacturers. Even the Cascadia and MAN facelifts had a deadline, for a rather basic update. This means that non-experienced staff can't really work on it. This however is not a problem (or not as big of a problem) for the old content.

Return to “General discussion about the game”