Next ATS truck speculation

harishw8r

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#2751 Post by harishw8r » 05 Jun 2021 17:23

Trucks being free is certainly not the reason why things get delayed. The company is running at profit, and funding is also from sources such as paintjob DLCs.
MRX911

#2752 Post by MRX911 » 05 Jun 2021 18:09

I will say that I am biased by the environment I come from, in most corporations, if something is costing you money but not generating a direct revenue, it will tend to be pushed to the side. I'm not saying that this is what SCS does, but something with a lower margin in a business usually doesn't get as much resources as other projects.

My point is basically that trucks being free is not a reason why things get delayed, I didn't even mention the component of time in my post, but that a smaller team simply generates less output. Just like the base map rebuild teams for both games. The difference between maps and trucks is that maps don't have the licencing redtape issue.
Stick to the route. Stop for nothing. Make the drop.
flight50

#2753 Post by flight50 » 06 Jun 2021 06:09

MRX911 wrote: 05 Jun 2021 15:44 We do drive only 1 truck at a time but it's always pleasant to see the rest of the roster in traffic.

I think the main issue is that SCS wants to keep their trucks free, so that has an impact of the resources they are willing to allocate in the vehicle team that's on free content (unlicensed trailers and licensed trucks mainly).
I agree that in traffic is crucial. I've said that many times in the past but I don't think you are aware of such post. I've always been an advocate for more trucks. My most recent post doesn't define my entire outlook on ATS trucks. My primarily want for more trucks is for AI traffic. Honestly I'm content with my W900 and it wouldn't have bother me if ATS never got more trucks to drive. However, it would bother me not seeing a huge variety in traffic. But I also know others want particular trucks.

In regards to SCS keeping trucks free, that's just how they do things if they are core content. But many of us have pitched for a classic truck dlc pack in which would be paid since its not core content. But I don't think your comment for mention SCS doesn't allocate more resources for more trucks is correct. If you watched the June 27th 2018 stream Pavel mentioned that he'd put as many people on trucks in parallel that he can if he has licenses for them. I think he did this the past couple of years. Problem is, the vehicle perhaps isn't the same since covid first hit. I never said stop making trucks though. I said one a year.

@Wolfi yes I'm aware that everyone may not have their favorite truck in the game. For some, that may never happen. SCS has a select few options vs the entire fleet of past and current. I'm still waiting for my 5700. The Cascadia is great and all but I never thought SCS had a chance at the 5700 until I met them at GATS and saw what they were looking at when we were there.

As far as trailer, yes North America is very generic. I can't deny that. But that doesn't meant ATS is not worthy of licenced trailers. There is a licensed at SCS all ready and has been there since 2018 back when they got licenses for the Lonestar and the Cascadia. Yet, no trailer has come. It would be just as ground breaking as an ETS2 licensed trailer. I don't get all the big hype that was behind Krone, but I purchased it anyways. ATS should get that same opportunity. For me, the licensed trailer is the bonus. I'm all about the cargo. I want SCS to kill two birds with one stone...where's the cargo. So honestly I have to disagree that Freight has variety. ATS has a huge lack of cargo honestly. If one compares the cargo to ETS2 to ATS, the difference is obvious. Not only that, but specifically flatbed and open deck cargo. When SCS debuted ATS, I don't think they had any idea how widely use flatbed are in North America. ATS represents flatbed poorly. The links in my signature has a solid 100+ cargo that can be made for ATS, yet not much of anything has come. I'm not asking for everything in my links but add some things to get the ball rolling. There are some people that do actually like to drive ATS/ETS2 for the sole purpose it was intended for which is deliver cargo from point A, to B. For this reason is why I mention 1 truck and 1 trailer. If ATS continues to get 2 or more trucks a year, the ETS2 crowd will be livid. Its a bit more evened out if both games got a truck a year. Now ETS2 does pretty much have the vast majority of in production trucks already in game, but fans don't care about that. They are more envious about ATS have new high quality trucks and ETS2 doesn't have those. The funniest part about all that is that the ETS2 only crowd, never screamed for ATS to get trucks from 2016-2018. 4 trucks was bad. But then once SCS started knocking them out, the other community wasn't too thrille.
harishw8r

#2754 Post by harishw8r » 06 Jun 2021 06:26

Just to quote Pavel's words on July 15th, 2014 in a blog focusing on truck sounds:
We are a bit crazy, still trying to improve what some people now consider an "old game" - but we definitely do plan to keep improving and evolving Euro Truck Simulator 2 for a long time. And it is only possible thanks to your continuing support. Thank you guys! [Yes, this is where earnings from stupid things like paint jobs DLCs is invested into]
As flight said, Pavel couldn't stress more that trucks are the core for the game, he tries to acknowledge that in some way in every other Christmas Stream.
Vinnie Terranova

#2755 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 06 Jun 2021 08:57

So, 7 years ago ETS2 was already considered an old game. Yet we still are playing it...! But in fact it really doesn't matter how old a game is; it's all about the gameplay. And that gameplay still holds up today.
harishw8r

#2756 Post by harishw8r » 06 Jun 2021 09:31

That’s the reason that makes ETS2 and ATS the best games ever. Multiplayer is already a welcome feature. They will keep updating the game with new features for sure. The game is still modern. The gameplay is still failproof.
flight50

#2757 Post by flight50 » 06 Jun 2021 10:42

I agree with you both. The gameplay is what keeps me coming back. The potential is what keeps me active on here. Unlike other games that releases yearly or every few years, SCS has a great model. The amount of free updates thru out the year is unreal. The main focus of the games is trucks and to date, SCS has never charged for one. More will come as time goes on. I wish a tuning pack hit before the next truck though. Come onnnnn Paccar.

Core content or paid classics trucks, I’m in. Get the in production trucks first obviously. But when things are a trickle, then open other doors.
MRX911

#2758 Post by MRX911 » 06 Jun 2021 11:48

flight50 wrote: 06 Jun 2021 06:09In regards to SCS keeping trucks free, that's just how they do things if they are core content. But many of us have pitched for a classic truck dlc pack in which would be paid since its not core content. But I don't think your comment for mention SCS doesn't allocate more resources for more trucks is correct. If you watched the June 27th 2018 stream Pavel mentioned that he'd put as many people on trucks in parallel that he can if he has licenses for them. I think he did this the past couple of years. Problem is, the vehicle perhaps isn't the same since covid first hit. I never said stop making trucks though. I said one a year.
I follow SCS since ETS1 and buy everything day 1 since then but I actually didn't got really into social media platforms since 2019 around the time they announced Washington so I likely missed that stream back then, but I just checked it out today and thanks for the enlightenment !
Stick to the route. Stop for nothing. Make the drop.
eshvos

#2759 Post by eshvos » 06 Jun 2021 12:25

The great thing about the rolling release model, that SCS chose with ATS and ETS2 compared to the (bi-)annual re-releases, is, that the community is much less fragmented.

If you do major version upgrades you do not only loose all your licensed trucks (e. g. what a shame that ETS2 does not have the old Actros MP2 or the first version of the "5-series" Scania R cab that were part of "ETS1"), but you also loose a significant part of your player base with every major release, as some players will choose to stick with the game they already bought and will continue to create mods for the older game release (see for example Train Fever and Transport Fever 1 and 2). Even Microsoft has acknowledged this issue with people not buying major versions of Windows and has decided to do upgrades to the base version (Windows 7 and newer) for free (= Windows 10 Home and Pro). If you want more features (Education/Enterprise, Office 365, etc.) you still have to pay a yearly fee, but the base version upgrades are free and they finance these upgrades, just like SCS with their DLCs, through their "higher-end" products.

If SCS would still do the old release model, I would not be happily investing money in every new DLC, as they would be obsolete in a very short amount of time anyways. And we wouldn't have so many mods available for our enjoyment, as the modding community would be fragmented across multiple versions (I still remember how mods were ported between ETS1 and German Truck Simulator ... Some people even ported over the whole map of Europe to the newer game engine of GTS ...).

As far as the topic goes: I really hope we will get the 5700XE before it is substituted with a new model based on the 49X cab (e. g. 57XE). It is the first Western Star truck, that is actually bought by fleets in larger numbers and it would be a shame to miss out on it (the same can be said about the Cascadia CA 113 and CA 125, but it is probably already too late for it). I do also hope that we will get the current generation Volvo VNR and VNL.
Goodbye. No interest in participating in a community where posts get silently deleted without any explanation.
lamar326g

#2760 Post by lamar326g » 08 Jun 2021 22:51

There's been more activity on SteamDB today. See below for a preview:
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 3.49.23 PM.png
Sending positive energy in hopes that this unknown app consists of another truck DLC! I'm still optimistic that the next truck will be a Western Star, in particular, the 4900 or 5700XE :?:

Return to “General discussion about the game”