Side Curtains
19%
Moving/Storage trailers
19%

Total votes: 74

iowatruckerdgh48

Re: Choose the trailers you would like to see next on Trailer Ownership

#361 Post by iowatruckerdgh48 » 29 Mar 2021 00:03

Skoot wrote: 21 Feb 2021 19:55 asphalt trailers might be purchasable as well as, for example, chip vans are. Since these tankers are heated, any hot chemicals might be hauled in those, I think.
Actually, the distributor/sprayer truck mounted tanks, which do not spray asphalt, but rather a water based emulsion sealer, are heated, however asphalt trailers are not heated. Rather the trailers are highly insulated, with a full 6"-8" blanket of fiberglass insulation between the aluminum outer skin and the inner tank, usually aluminum, also. The hot asphalt grade oil is loaded at approximately 340 degrees F. and will hold temp above 250 deg. F. for up to 24 hours. The oil will stop flowing at approximately 225 deg. F. which will occur in about 48 hours. The trailer I pull in real life is like the smaller, 7000 gal max fill (water measure,) shown in the first picture alongside the 10000 gal. giant. However, I don't have the type of safety catwalk on the smaller one, mine is like the larger one. A full load of oil, depending on tractor weight, is between 5900 and 6000 gal, net, maxing out the axle weights. 12000/34000/34000 Asphalt oil and emulsion oil CANNOT be mixed! since the emulsion is water based, even two gallons in the bottom of the trailer, when the hot asphalt is loaded on top of it, will explosively erupt out of the manhole like a volcano!

Our trips, here in Iowa, cover most of the state, from near center, can be anywhere from 1/2 hour, to around 4 hours, one way. About 45 min. to unload, return to terminal, refill, and go again.
flight50

#362 Post by flight50 » 29 Mar 2021 03:09

I think asphalt trailers can definitely make the game but I honestly see them like the frac tank....one purpose which doesn't really need to be owned. Not every trailer in the game can be owned. Unless there are 3-5+ cargoes that one particular trailer can haul, I wouldn't make it ownable. People will flame SCS for not providing enough cargo when in reality, its that person's fault for not knowing the purpose of that trailer. People have to do their research to find out why somethings are done the way they are. Not owning an asphalt tanker will have less negatively than if they do make it ownable with too little cargo.
Skoot

#363 Post by Skoot » 29 Mar 2021 13:30

@iowatruckerdgh48 thank you for your answer! I didn't know too much about the asphalt tankers, to be honest. Your post clarified it a lot. Welcome to the forum, by the way! ;)

@flight50 I see your point. IMO, cargo diversity might not be there for asphalt tankers but destinations might vary a lot. Even if SCS puts some limitations on job length for these trailers, there will be several Bitumen, Plaster & Sons or whatever prefabs that can accept asphalt for practical purposes in this range.
flight50

#364 Post by flight50 » 29 Mar 2021 16:22

No doubt on delivery locations. They could be everywhere. I seriously hope they don't put limitations on it though. In real life its more of a local thing but SCS already said a few years ago that they will have to bend reality sometimes for gameplay purposes. I don't see an issue with taking a load of asphalt from Houston Texas to San Diego California in ATS. There has to be a line drawn sometimes from virtual to reality. We can drive National Parks in the game but you can't in real life unless your load is for that park. It virtual and no one is breaking any laws in a video game. Let the devs allow some site seeing to occur. If that is what gets more people playing ATS, then so be it. Its not killing anyone. If such limitations happened in ATS/ETS2, people would get frustrated and probably ditch the game. Ditching the game is that last thing ATS needs. Allow people to choose their distance, not the computer.

Iowatrucker did say 48hrs til the oil stops flowing anyways. So use that little bit of reality and at least allow 48 hrs worth of traveling if one is to put limits on something like this. If such rules come, now you have to factor in livestock travel and other sensitive time/temp matters. I'd leave that kind of stuff out the game and just let it be like any other cargo. But that's just me, I'm not the devs.
GT182

#365 Post by GT182 » 29 Mar 2021 19:00

Too bad there aren't heating plants in ATS. If there was we could be running bunker oil to them.... year round. If during the winter months you break down or it's so cold the load loses heat, you have to have steam to "thaw" out the piping to be able to pump it off. If the load sets too long because of a breakdown, say 8 hours, then have to reheat the load to get it out of the tanker. And yes... it happened to me up in the cold of Montreal, PQ and Northern NY.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
iowatruckerdgh48

#366 Post by iowatruckerdgh48 » 30 Mar 2021 01:05

What is needed is some refineries to load at. These would also supply the fuel tankers. And, as GT182 says about when the oil cools in the tanker, steam is needed to get it hot again, however, it takes days to warm it up. This is in real life, but would not be necessary in the game. I have had to go get one of our trailers when another driver broke down in Minnesota.

Something to think about when it comes to livestock transportation. Once loaded, the driver must be allowed to drive straight through to the delivery point, without required rest periods, because the animals will overheat in the trailer with no airflow, and some will be lost, at driver expense, and others will be overstressed, making them unsuitable for processing, again at driver expense. We have a meat packing plant right across the access road from our tank plant, as well as an auction barn, so we learn alot about transporting beef. DOT rules allow this for livestock hauling, with the drivers taking their rest breaks immediately after unloading. Another thing about distance/time with livestock, is food and water. So, if they must be transported a very long way, more than 24 hours, there must be a place where they can be unloaded, cared for, then reloaded. This would be done at a feed yard type of locale.
flight50

#367 Post by flight50 » 30 Mar 2021 02:41

^Yes I watched a youtube video about all that. Livestock definitely has to be cool and hauled as quickly and as safely as possible.....in real life. No point in going that deep in ATS. Now the best thing that could happen is multi for live stock. For the long hauls, have 1-2 points along the way to unload and reload after resting. This gets too complicated though for progrogramming and I doubt they go to that extent.
Holzauge

#368 Post by Holzauge » 08 May 2021 10:39

More mines are about to come with Wyoming. For me it's time for ownable dump trailers. There are so many drop off and pick up points for them already on the map (Plaster, Bitumen, Namiq, Coastline Mining, Steeler, the ranches and farms).

I would be very happy, if SCS brought dump trailer ownership with 1.41! :D
VDMA
J.Random

#369 Post by J.Random » 08 May 2021 10:52

> There are so many drop off and pick up points for them already on the map (Plaster, Bitumen, Namiq, Coastline Mining, Steeler, the ranches and farms).
You know it will result in you picking up, for example, gravel and dumping it in Bitumen parking lot, right? :D
Holzauge

#370 Post by Holzauge » 08 May 2021 13:01

Oh, the unrealistic unloading point problem... Nevertheless: Yes! :D
VDMA

Return to “General discussion about the game”