Side Curtains
19%
Moving/Storage trailers
19%

Total votes: 75

flight50

Re: Choose the trailers you would like to see next on Trailer Ownership

#321 Post by flight50 » 22 Feb 2021 16:54

What SCS had was actually real, just badly modeled. They were trying to model step deck curtain siders which does exist. They didn't drop the deck low enough which makes them look weird. Drop decks perhaps are not as common compared to flatbed curtain siders though.
Lol @plykkegaard beat me to it. We posted at the same time, lol. But yes you got it. We have drop deck curtain siders here.
Skoot

#322 Post by Skoot » 22 Feb 2021 17:24

You can lower the deck only so much if you use regular tires. Which SCS did. Most stepdecks ride on low-profile 22.5 inch rubber, and there's no such tires in vanilla game.
supersobes
Global moderator

#323 Post by supersobes » 22 Feb 2021 17:25

Oh, that is what the trailer in ATS was supposed to be? I've seen those before! I didn't even realize that's what SCS was trying to replicate because the design of it was so far off from the real thing. The one in ATS was structured more like dry van trailer with some really strange extension on the bottom of the trailer so that the kingpin could reach the fifth wheel. A step deck curtainsider would need its own new models that aren't reused from a dry van. The old trailer was also way too common in the AI traffic. It showed up more often than the standard dry van trailer.
Skoot

#324 Post by Skoot » 22 Feb 2021 17:39

I guess that curtainsiders were quite a common sight because 1. SCS didn't have as much experience with everything American back then and 2. curtainsiders are very common in Europe.
flight50

#325 Post by flight50 » 22 Feb 2021 17:41

If SCS makes a step deck, they pretty much also made a drop deck curtain sider. That is 3 trailers that could come in one update. Single step deck, curtain sider and step deck curtain sider.
GT182

#326 Post by GT182 » 22 Feb 2021 18:51

I'd like to see less 3 axle van and reefer trailers in ATS, especially with the 3rd as a lift axle. 2 axles are plenty. It's not the norm here in the US for 3 axles as they are more for heavy haul, heavy equipment, and steel. And 80,000 #s or less in total weight doesn't need 3 axles. 3 axles might be the norm for Europe [ETS2], but not here in North America.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
flight50

#327 Post by flight50 » 22 Feb 2021 19:18

80k is definitely the norm. However, there are a few states that like to be different, lol. According to Rand McNally a few states have increased weight that is approved for Interstate travel.

Alaska - not applicable
Florida - based on manufacturer of tires
Idaho - just need a permit to go over 80k but up to 105,500
Maryland - complies with federal bridge formula and based on manufacturer of tires
New Mexico - 86,400
Oregon - 34,000 per tandem axle if overall from tandems is 30+ feet
Washington - allows 105,500 max
Wyoming - allows 117,000 but must have more axles to comply with formula

[ external image ]

I know Michigan has something about allowing higher weight as well but it might be that its not Interstate approved. I've seen several centipede setups in Michigan. Its probably an Agricultural / Mining off roads situation.
supersobes
Global moderator

#328 Post by supersobes » 22 Feb 2021 19:36

@GT182 Tri axle trailers aren't so common in the east, but they're more common in west, particularly the Pacific Northwest, in states that have higher weight limits. Tri axle flatbeds are more common than dry vans, but they do exist on dry vans too.

@flight50 Those Michigan Trains are allowed on highways. States that had a higher weight limit before the 80,000 rule was set were allowed to keep the higher limit.

Examples:
flight50

#329 Post by flight50 » 22 Feb 2021 20:09

Thanks supersobes. I'd love to see SCS give us some centipede AI trailers in those particular states. Definitely in Michigan. I don't think we should get them for ourselves though because 10/10, people will take them out the state. But the AI can be controlled and limited, people can't. I know some people won't like this but me personally, I'm cool with just the 2-3 axles that we do have.
plykkegaard

#330 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Feb 2021 21:02

It should be possible to set a restriction on freight/cargo market?
Like eg doubles in Finland
The player always run empty but no cargo to pick

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “General discussion about the game”