Shifter question

DDaniel2019

Shifter question

#1 Post by DDaniel2019 » 21 Feb 2019 00:35

Hello, I just recently got into the ATS, I have the Logitech G920 wheel & pedal set, and so far just running an automatic
transmission. I'm curious how the G29 shifter works in ATS. How do you shift a 10 speed or 13 speed? Cant put a whole lot more money out just now. Hoping the G29 shifter would suffice for a while whilst learning.

Thank you

Dave
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Shifter question

#2 Post by supersobes » 21 Feb 2019 00:54

The range and splitter are labeled as "shifter toggles" in the game settings. You can map those to any button you want, or you can get truck shift knobs to sit on top of your G29 shfiter which have the range and splitter built into them. Here is the gear layout for a 10 and 13 speed:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
murdoch82

#3 Post by murdoch82 » 21 Feb 2019 01:42

The regular shifter works perfectly for any of the gearboxes.

Truck gearboxes was a mystery to me before I got in to this game, I sort of understood how it worked but before you really try it like you get to do in this game its hard to believe how simple it really is.
Especially the Eaton Fuller gearboxes. The 12 speed Europeans are not as nice because you get a weird pattern with them. 13, 18 and also the ZF 16 speeds all have the same pattern basically, make it easy to remember and figure it all out.

Lately I gone to 10 speed for some reason. Because I only drive manual on the older trucks, the mods that has a manual transmission properly modeled. No ATS or ETS2 truck has that sadly. And its more fun to get to use a bit of revs besides its very very difficult to drive the Eaton Fuller boxes like they would be in real life, since they got no synchros you'd most likely not use the clutch. And while its possible to do so in game, its super difficult. I have read some people do figure out a setup that make it way easier and I have yet to try figure it out. Apparently you can make it doable without too much of a hassle.

The problem is, in a real truck you can feel when a gear is ready to go in, so much feedback in the stick and everything else. In a game you dont have any of that.
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
Gtsilverado

#4 Post by Gtsilverado » 21 Feb 2019 04:04

I also have the logitech g920 wheel, pedals and shifter. I programmed one button on wheel for splitter and one for range. They work really well for now, there is also videos out there for help setting up. I am looking forward to purchasing tech affliction roadking shifter and trackir. It will feel like a whole new game with these.
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 21 Feb 2019 04:09

Make sure you set up the correct manual shifter in your options under transmission.

[ external image ]
Nic Kowalski

#6 Post by Nic Kowalski » 21 Feb 2019 17:57

This guide helped me a lot when I started figuring out how shifting gears in ATS works:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1215476496

I'm really liking this game and also finding out all about driving a truck, but I'd like to have more information in game. Maybe because I come from a time when simulation games came with a big manual, with everything you were supposed to know in it...

While reading about shifting gears in American trucks I read that you're supposed to double clutch (or even float gears like @murdoch82 wrote). I understand that it can be enabled in ATS. Do you guys use double clutching or not?
Nic Kowalski - World of Trucks profile
Wing Kong Trading - Ontario, OR
Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly » 21 Feb 2019 22:18

Floating the gears works pretty well, though it's about timing and watching the tacho rather than about feel as it would be in a real truck. Except for that one guy building a FFB gearshifter.
Fawls

#8 Post by Fawls » 22 Feb 2019 06:02

I drove these transmissions (some time ago) and I always used the clutch how they were designed to be used (double de clutch). We had one K100 in the fleet that the driver had never used the clutch apart from stopping or starting, he got a new truck and I had to use his while mine was in the shop, this truck just had to be driven that way (floating as you call it) it did not like me trying to use the clutch but drove magic with out!
In game I use the clutch, it just seems happier that way, I double it changing down but you don't have to if your not used to it, the main thing I think is to do it slow.
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
flight50

#9 Post by flight50 » 22 Feb 2019 13:10

Unless I get a CDL, I will always be a sinlge clutch guy. I drive ATS/ETS2 like a regular 5/6 speed car. No double clutching or floating for me. Doubling is to tedious for a game and floating, not enough involvement for my clutch foot. Do what works for you though.
Nic Kowalski

#10 Post by Nic Kowalski » 23 Feb 2019 10:19

Thanks for the answers! I believe all SCS trucks in ETS2 are supposed to be driven without double clutching even in real life. So this is only about ATS trucks, or mods about old trucks in ETS2, I guess. I love trucks since I was a kid, but don't actually know much about them, especially about trucks transmissions, so I'm trying to understand how it all works in reality and how much it is simulated in the game (for example, I still don't know what changes if I select a more realistic braking system). I'm curious about the double clutching and I'll may try it, but for now I still need to feel confortable while driving before adding this feature! Finding the right gear while downshifting is still an issue for me... Anyway, I was curious to know if double clutching was the main way to drive for the experts of the community or not. Thanks!
Nic Kowalski - World of Trucks profile
Wing Kong Trading - Ontario, OR

Return to “General discussion about the game”