ATS concept map (fanmade)

joschac2

Re: ATS concept map (fanmade)

#931 Post by joschac2 » 23 Oct 2020 11:34

flight50 wrote: 17 Sep 2020 15:12 Yeah I am not sure how they would work the East coast either. They can't just push the entire coast out to the Ocean by 5-10 miles. Everything before the coast would have to be gradually stretched East as well. Perhaps they could take Texas and every state stacked above it, leave it alone at current scale. The West and Central states are not as dense so no point in touching it. Everything East of those stacked states, stretch things over gradual with each dlc by 4-5 miles. By the time you get to the East coast, there could be more room for sure. Now I doubt all this happens but we will see.

I am sure by the time SCS gets to the MidWest/East, it would be to late to realize they need more space. So what they'd have to do is just eliminate a lot more unfortunately. By then, the team could be large enough to do another rescale. Perhaps 1:15/1:16 or 1:17. That is wayyyy to much work but not completely impossible. At that point, the ETS2 audience would go mad crazy if they don't get a rescale as well. ETS2 will more than likely finish before ATS so maybe they could already be working a rescale? Just a guess. But rumor is the islands in ETS2 are already 1:15 scale so all would match at that point.

In ATS, the original rescale went from June/July to November if I recall correctly. To do another rescale at the ATS size by then could take 12+ months. But with soo many mappers at that point, it could be much easier as there would be tons of sectors that people can fill in without conflicting with another mapper. Filling in 4-5 miles across the US would take serious time though. Any remaining states at that point wouldn't be so bad with so much of the map in place. Perhaps SCS would only have about a dozen states left to go if a rescale happened again. Dev time increases for an increased map but like I mentioned, we'd have a very large map by then so a pause in map production won't be that bad imo. With the entire ATS map team, those dozen states could be knocked out in 1-2 years. Then on to Canada or Mexico. I'd rather Mexico if ProMods is in Canada. Reforma is doing a great job there but its only two of them. Mexico is also a totally different culture than the US and Canada that would be cool to see in ATS. Plus SCS could go all the way down to Panama to include all of North America. I don't think Reforma is planing to go to Panama.
If SCS wants to do the east coast like the west coast. They would have to do a whole resale like you said or get critve with the UI map and do some map tricky to make everything fit

Tho, After Scs finishes ATS could supersized us with a final massive update ( resale mapped )
flight50

#932 Post by flight50 » 23 Oct 2020 13:29

On the stream the other day, Patrik said something that made me think. He said his wish is to increase the scale but currently they can't do it and that they haven't even finished the game in the current scale. So I started brainstorming to formulate thoughts.

Edited - removed hyped ideas. My post made it to Discord. Didn't mean to create hype or false hope. Just sharing thoughts.
Last edited by flight50 on 23 Oct 2020 18:35, edited 3 times in total.
joschac2

#933 Post by joschac2 » 23 Oct 2020 14:06

More downtown. and I-184

And where did he say that in stream
flight50

#934 Post by flight50 » 23 Oct 2020 14:22

He said that when he was in Craig, Colorado if I recall correctly.
Shiva

#935 Post by Shiva » 23 Oct 2020 15:29

I do think that a rescale of the whole US from 1:20 to 1:15 or 1:10, it would take a lot more time than what you wrote.
Unless they get some sort of AI help.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
supersobes
Global moderator

#936 Post by supersobes » 23 Oct 2020 17:23

Rescaling the entire map after it's done is going to introduce a big problem though. With the original rescale, we ended up with a patchwork style to the base states of California and Nevada. The new areas were built with mapping techniques that were new at the time, while the older areas, mostly the cities, remained the same. Over time, SCS has been working on maintaining and updating the base map to remove this patchwork style. If SCS rescales the map after all the states are in, they would have to go back and fix this problem in a lot more than just two states. By the time SCS finishes the East coast, I'm sure would have improved their mapping techniques drastically since the last rescale, even more than improvements made between the release of the original game and the last rescale. This would further accentuate the problem of the patchwork style in the oldest map DLCs and the base map.
Shiva

#937 Post by Shiva » 24 Oct 2020 00:28

There's still some places that were patched to the wrong location.
I-80's Carlin Tunnel, west of Elko, Nevada. It's almost at Winnemucca.
Maybe less noticeable, but Salt River Canyon in Arizona, could have been a bit more north, after the rescale.
I'm sure there are more.
Rescaled areas are and were quite nice tho.
And the Carlin Tunnel was quite nice, even before the rescale.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
flight50

#938 Post by flight50 » 05 Nov 2020 00:08

@ads678 have you seen all the map leaks in the Colorado thread? We now know 100% of the roads and cities coming for Colorado. You got pretty close again. They actually gave us a little denser map than your guess. US-34, US-287, US-350 and more of US-285. No US-24 from I-25 to I-70, CO-13 or 470 around Denver though.
Shiva

#939 Post by Shiva » 05 Nov 2020 04:44

@flight50 ads678 first versions were closer, o wait.
ads678's version where map reaches Florida, vs how it looks since august. SCS's map is somewhere between those.
I did save some or most? of the map progress over time.
sledrunner

#940 Post by sledrunner » 05 Nov 2020 08:17

Pretty cool to see a lot of Upstate NY cities I visit regularly on there. Would be quite interesting to drive on highways within the game that I frequent in real life a lot.

Return to “General discussion about the game”