Weigh station frequency?

PandaCheese

Weigh station frequency?

#1 Post by PandaCheese » 07 Aug 2019 21:35

Driving in Washington on a job that doesn't leave the state, not even on a very long route, I had to pull in to be weighed 3 times. Is this normal or "realistic?"
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Weigh station frequency?

#2 Post by supersobes » 07 Aug 2019 22:46

In real-life, Washington doesn't use the little transponders that tell drivers to pull in. In Washington, if the scale is open, ALL trucks must pull in. Since the scales in ATS appear to never be closed, this would be realistic.
marcf

#3 Post by marcf » 07 Aug 2019 23:18

I've often questioned the frequency of getting weighed, sometimes a 1000 mile job and getting weighed 5 times, certain scales seemed to weigh me every time
(one profile with 300+ hours and going for 100% map completion, I always got weighed heading West on I 10, just before the NM>AZ border, I could tell I always got weighed as the straight road beside the weigh station was undiscovered)

Does anyone operating in real life in America know the chance of getting pulled in or their guess at a rough percentage? (ie: 70%, 50%?) - based on scales that use transponders
Madkine
Global moderator

#4 Post by Madkine » 08 Aug 2019 05:40

@PandaCheese There's no normal. As you said sometimes you get pulled into every weigh station, sometimes you bypass them all.

I do need to do some more investigation about the lane your driving in, as I've noticed in Washington there are signs stating for trucks to drive in the right lane. I'm currently wondering if you drive in the left lane at these places you'll get pulled in more often.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
rambolz

#5 Post by rambolz » 08 Aug 2019 06:11

I have noticed in Washington you get pulled in way more than the other states, but I guess it makes sense after what supersobes said.
EllieODaire

#6 Post by EllieODaire » 08 Aug 2019 06:38

It's fairly realistic, Washington has a lot of weigh stations. In fact, they have so many weigh stations that many of the scales on US and state highways are rarely ever open. When they're closed, Washington DOT often leaves the scale display inside the building turned on, with the screen turned toward an open window, so drivers can use closed weigh stations to check axle weights in areas where there aren't nearby private scales.
supersobes wrote: 07 Aug 2019 22:46 In real-life, Washington doesn't use the little transponders that tell drivers to pull in. In Washington, if the scale is open, ALL trucks must pull in. Since the scales in ATS appear to never be closed, this would be realistic.
Most of the IRL Washington weigh stations on interstate highways have transponder functionality. They work with NorPass and Oregon Greenlight transponders (which now includes PrePass through their recent addition to Greenlight).
-Raiden-

#7 Post by -Raiden- » 08 Aug 2019 06:46

marcf wrote: 07 Aug 2019 23:18 Does anyone operating in real life in America know the chance of getting pulled in or their guess at a rough percentage? (ie: 70%, 50%?) - based on scales that use transponders
According to the videos of a German guy who is driving in the US and Canada and who also does YouTube, there is some company rating system involved with the transponder and e-log systems.
If I understood it correctly, a higher/better rating for the company means a higher chance of getting a bypass at the scales. But I don't know if that applies for the "port of entry" scales as well.
SCS-trucksim veteran - ETS2: since December 2012 / ATS: since release in February 2016 / Several 18WoS parts even before that

My Photo Album (ETS2) | My American Journeys (ATS) | My WoT-profile
EllieODaire

#8 Post by EllieODaire » 08 Aug 2019 06:56

Weigh stations can use a variety of different criteria to decide who they weigh and who gets a green light to bypass. Most common is a mix of a company's safety record and the readings from weigh-in-motion pads embedded in the right lane prior to the weigh station. If your company has a good score or the weigh-in-motion tells them you're not heavy, you're more likely to get bypassed.
supersobes
Global moderator

#9 Post by supersobes » 08 Aug 2019 12:58

EllieODaire wrote: 08 Aug 2019 06:38 Most of the IRL Washington weigh stations on interstate highways have transponder functionality. They work with NorPass and Oregon Greenlight transponders (which now includes PrePass through their recent addition to Greenlight).
Good to know! Thanks for the information! :)
rocknrollDaVE
Beta tester

#10 Post by rocknrollDaVE » 10 Aug 2019 05:22

i was just in Washington and let me tell you, oh boy... yeah its realistic getting pulled in to every weigh station. they are almost always open, even at 10pm and between just about every city
I'm on a mission to ensure the city of Pittsburgh is accurately represented in ATS.
◇ Link to World of Trucks profile below ◇

[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”