Colorado Discussion Thread

Robinicus

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#3391 Post by Robinicus » 01 Dec 2020 15:29

The other miss on a digital sign board is the one at the scale that says the speed limit on the scales is 5 MPH....the game won' let you weigh unless you are going 3 MPH or less....either the sign should be updated or the game parameter should be updated :)
1.39 combined engine pack now available

1.39 default SCS replacement engine pack now available

MS Flight Sim 2020 - Alpha test team

Don't PM me for FMOD help, ask on the forum so others can learn from it as well

plykkegaard

#3392 Post by plykkegaard » 01 Dec 2020 16:30

Dunno, from Seattle to Roswell was kind of a nice and relaxing tour, or eg Helsinki to Osnabrück via Sct Petersburg was equally nice were as the Million Dollar Hwy or I70 can be a bit stressful with a large articuclated trailer :D
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Shiva

#3393 Post by Shiva » 01 Dec 2020 17:49

I thought that 1 is supposed to stop on the scales.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

supersobes
Global moderator

#3394 Post by supersobes » 01 Dec 2020 18:01

Only some weigh stations require trucks to come to a complete stop on the scale. Some scales will also only have some trucks come to a complete stop based on the reading they get on the preliminary scale, which is embedded in the ramp leading to the weigh station. You have to read the signs to know when and where to stop.

plykkegaard

#3395 Post by plykkegaard » 01 Dec 2020 18:02

If you have money you can do what you like and take the fine 😁
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

supersobes
Global moderator

#3396 Post by supersobes » 01 Dec 2020 18:04

That is true. I refuse to stop at any of the weigh stations in ATS out of protest of how unrealistically short SCS makes the ramps. There's not enough distance to slow from 60 MPH to 10 MPH because the ramps are less than half the length they are in real-life.

SuchManor

#3397 Post by SuchManor » 01 Dec 2020 18:38

I feel as if the majority of weigh stations in the US you dont have to stop and release your brakes. According to SCS it is the opposite. Most weigh stations IRL you cruise across the scale at like 3 mph. I'm not sure if SCS is worried you wont be able to "activate" the weigh station when moving but it is easy to activate at 3 mph in game. That is definitely one of my pet peeves that I thought they would fix in Colorado but apparently not as they put signs at every one to fully stop.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots

Robinicus

#3398 Post by Robinicus » 01 Dec 2020 18:52

I haven't come across a scale in the game where I needed to come to a complete stop; all of them seem to work rolling across at 3 MPH....the point of my post was the sign info should match the actual scale speed of 3 MPH and not be posted as 5 MPH as they don't work at that speed.

EDIT: here is a correct one in Utah

Correct scale speed sign in Utah ;[01/12/2020 12:13:44] (sec-0017-0004);-64753.2;72.9372;-13706.2;0.574215;-0.052782
1.39 combined engine pack now available

1.39 default SCS replacement engine pack now available

MS Flight Sim 2020 - Alpha test team

Don't PM me for FMOD help, ask on the forum so others can learn from it as well

flight50

#3399 Post by flight50 » 01 Dec 2020 19:34

supersobes wrote:
01 Dec 2020 18:04
That is true. I refuse to stop at any of the weigh stations in ATS out of protest .....
Funny you say that but I do it for a different reason. Weigh stations and scales are useless right now. Until we can slide tandem more realistically, to matter, I don't bother stopping anymore unless I need to discover the road going thru them. I think Multi drop could be a factor into proper weigh scales. Based on what Robinicus just said, I had no idea rolling stops worked. I am so gonna try that. Thanks for that info.

But on the topic you guys speak of, weigh stations and rest stops in general have unrealistic exit speed for sure. Trucks need time to gain speed and this ridiculously low speed..........I ignore them. With millions of $$$ in the bank, it doesn't matter. The goal should always be to get up to highway speed as quickly as possible. I ignore the speed limit and take the fine. SCS should completely remove the speed limits on the accelerating lanes leaving weigh stations and rest stops.

supersobes
Global moderator

#3400 Post by supersobes » 01 Dec 2020 19:57

@flight50 Fortunately, SCS has fixed the ramp speed limits in the newer map DLC. They no longer put actual legal speed limits, but rather they put the advisory ramp speeds like there is in real-life. You can't get fined for going over an advisory speed. My issue with the weigh station ramps isn't getting fined for being over the speed limit though. I actually play with fines turned off. For me, it breaks the immersion when you have to come into the scale at such a fast speed and basically slam the brakes just be able to be at 3 MPH or less by the time you get to the trigger. Most weigh stations in real-life have a ramp that is somewhere between 1/2 a mile a 1 mile long with an advisory speed of 40 MPH. This would allow enough space for drivers to slow down to the scale speed without having to abruptly slam the brakes. In ATS however, you only have about 500 feet or less to get from 55+ MPH to 15 or 10 MPH in order to be at the correct speed to realistically creep onto the scale at 3 MPH. For it to be realistic, you would need at least 2,000 feet of stopping distance, about 1/2 a mile. Yes, it's perfectly possible for a loaded truck to stop in 300 feet, but that would basically be slamming the brakes, which should be unnecessary for most cases unless there is an emergency in front of the truck that the driver could not predict. It's not realistic for a routine stop like at a weigh station which should have ample warning and space to slow down. In many cases, stopping in 300 feet or less from highway speed would require the activation of ABS to be able to pull that off.

Return to “General discussion about the game”