Colorado Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#3541 Post by supersobes » 18 May 2021 20:27

@harishw8r Nope, it's not a disaster. It's just infrastructure upgrades and traffic improvements led by CDOT.

Here is the project website.

Here is a still-image video that shows a picture of the project at the same spot every day since September 2018.

Here are some information videos about the project.
dkasper00

#3542 Post by dkasper00 » 18 May 2021 20:34

@supersobes

Went by the construction site a few weeks back to see the progress has been intriguing to say the least. Will be again on Thursday as I go back with my sister and nephew, as they live in Aurora.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
flight50

#3543 Post by flight50 » 18 May 2021 22:03

harishw8r wrote: 18 May 2021 19:46 ^ Totally agree with that. If there’s one trailer which we need badly for the cargo market, it would be dumpers. It would also complement Wyoming in an excellent way.

I have no idea about this expansion though, but I hope it doesn’t have any disaster elements like Big Sur or Genoa bridge.
I have been advocating for side dumpers with Wyoming for awhile. I remember the SmithCo side dumper mod use to be advertised on the actual SmitCo website. They like ATS and I was hoping a partner ship developed. I emailed them to contact SCS but doesn't seem like anything happened. They then removed the mod off their site after that. I downloaded the mod back when 1.32 released before I contacted them and loved the mod...I still do. Its such a sweet looking dumper. The RMD is even sweeter. For the states we have in the game than can take doubles and have lots of uses for dumpers, it would be pretty cool to see them come with 1.41 as new owned trailers as well as a new end dumper and reworked belly dumper and round bottom dumper. It feels like forever since we got an owned trailers. But 1.39 with Colorado brought lowboys. It just seem like years ago, lol.

But if I could own this with Wyoming, I think I'll but my 49x 8x4 daycab on this setup. I'll have the axle lifted but I still like the look. I can drop the dumper and haul hh or st when I want.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I agree on the disaster part. Big Sur was a landslide. No way that can happen on I-70 in Denver. Now outside of Denver in the canyons or on the Million Dollar, its possible to have a rock slide though. We could haul boulders away. It does seem like Pavel has his man Gavin in place to design such events.

In regards to rebuilding I-70 once its completed, it won't be anytime soon. The best chance we have at that is after the rebuild team finishes their task with all the base maps. Then I hope they sweep thru all the paid dlc's to update stuff before joining the paid map teams. I think there is a solid 1.5 years worth of work for them to add missing roads in all the paid dlc's. There is a a good 1-3 roads for each state that can come in my book. If we are lucky, the rebuild team will take about 2-3 years to rebuild things. By then, that could be a full map team by itself. Once they are caught up, we could have 4 full map teams. Instead of adding them to the US efforts, I'd move them to Baja California and get them working on Mexico. Next year when Texas releases, the entire US border will be available to expand South into a totally different culture. It will feel like ETS2 at that point. Canada has some French parts but its still closes related to US customs. Also Canada has the ProMods team and they can handle Canada for the next 8+ years. The border won't be complete for quite some time between the US/Canada. So start where we are well past the border.
Shiva

#3544 Post by Shiva » 18 May 2021 23:00

Brochure https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east/ ... 2019vf.pdf
How would this affect York and Josephine Street interchanges for I-70 ingame?
Exit 275B, if coming from west, or going to west. Exit 276B, if coming from east, or going to east.
https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east/resources/maps and https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vxe2bkg4i2tl ... 1.pdf?dl=0
South Platte River below I-70, removed.
Then cheat with both exits? York St to and from I-70 west.
While Josephine Street to and from I-70 east. Or moving that to Vasquez Blvd / Steele Street? Sort of the one 1 step east of Josephine Street?
Or, remove RailExport and USBB totally. Replacing whole area with something else? But what?

There is no space to have the IRL exits to and from I-70. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.7796 ... m2!4m1!3e0

I have checked and written this so long that it is almost an hour ago that flight50 wrote his post.
And I started writing and checking about 15minutes before he posted.

Btw, Vasquez Blvd / Steele Street, will have IRL to/from west I-70 connection. But the 1st that has east connections is Colorado Boulevard.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3545 Post by supersobes » 18 May 2021 23:20

In a perfect world, SCS would be able to add the I-70 frontage roads that are part of the proposed design. That would allow them to put on/off ramps wherever they fit while still keeping it somewhat realistic. However, I don't think the frontage roads will fit due to the map scale without some major reworking to the surrounding scenery. I think the best option would be to do as you say and just fake it with on/off ramps at York and Josephine kind of like the on/off ramps that are there in the game currently.
flight50

#3546 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2021 01:08

Yeah I don't think frontage roads will work without some major work. Simply because Denver wasn't setup with it to begin with. Texas will give us our first taste of frontage roads. SCS doesn't really have a choice. Pretty much all of Texas uses them. Not to many states around the country uses them if I recall some people mentioning. They are very convenient and honestly, I think it will help out SCS a ton in areas that do use them. Depots can be right off the service roads which means you don't have to go too far off the main roads. A lot of fudging can be done that way behind the first row of depots. Now it will kind of feel like Iberia in a way with no secondary roads off the main roads but that is how Texas business can be. Huge storefront signs lined up along the service roads and you go to industry off those roads. Now of course there is industry beyond the service roads but for ATS purposes, it depends on what SCS will do with industries.

Its a lot of work to have to adjust a huge city like Denver. Honestly, I wouldn't bother updating Denver for awhile. I know that will piss some people off but that team moved on. When time permits, sure go back and work it once the project is completed but that's someone's time. To be more precise...Racertoft's time as he did Denver. When he was on his first stream not to long ago, he revealed what is role is for the ATS map team. His work is critical for the future of ATS to laid down preliminary foundations. His foundation work must be laid before the map team can go full production on it. Perhaps not 100% complete but he has to give them something to work with so ideas need to be in place. Texas is huge...its gonna take him a while. After Texas its gets a bit easier for awhile though until SCS gets deeper into the MidWest and East. He may have the time to adjust in the future but I wouldn't expect it. Even with Texas, there is a ton of construction going on in my area right off I-30. I don't think SCS will be able to adjust it anytime soon as the project won't even be done for another 3-5 years and Texas will drop next year I'm sure.

Roads are always changing in the US though so its a never ending battle for mappers to keep current. That's a difficult task at hand because at some point, things are going to be outdated. Prior to paid dlc's is a different story. SCS was just getting started and implemented to much Euro thought into the equation and that didn't work out to well. Now they are more experienced and on the right track to when scale allows, they do a pretty good job with things. Mods can push thing a bit differently but there is a performance hit most times. SCS has to account for this but not so much mods.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3547 Post by supersobes » 19 May 2021 01:24

We can already see how frontage roads will work in ATS because SCS included the ones that go underneath Big I interchange between I-25 and I-40 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They're not very substantial frontage roads as they only serve two streets in the game, but they are there. They allow you to sneak under the interchange to get to the truck stop on Menaul Boulevard, and to the north, you can continue up onto Montgomery Boulevard. I'm sure SCS will include some larger scale frontage roads in the Texas DLC though. The frontage roads in Albuquerque work quite well in ATS, and that was years ago. SCS keeps improving their portrayal of road systems to make them more realistic, so I have no doubt that the ones in Texas will be decent.
flight50

#3548 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2021 02:28

Oh yeahhh, Albuquerque does have it. At the time, that was the best interchange in the game, lol. My have things changed. That was 2017 when we got NM. No deliverable depots were off it but yes, its there. It reminds me of the High 5 in Dallas because of the coloration. The High 5 is 3 times more complicated though.
The Torgo

#3549 Post by The Torgo » 19 May 2021 03:00

almost 6 month later and this dlc still amazes me, a fantastic work indeed
Sora

#3550 Post by Sora » 19 May 2021 06:26

Eastern Portland (with the Wallbert and the truck stop) is a halfway decent example of how frontage roads can be implemented in ATS.

It's not a perfect representation, but it's a decent proof of concept. You could probably modify that same idea into an acceptable implementation.

Return to “General discussion about the game”