Colorado Discussion Thread

MT269

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#1381 Post by MT269 » 11 Sep 2020 11:15

It depends on how the vehicle interacts with the road. I have no idea if the truck actually touches the surface, or just hovers a millimetre or two above like a hover car.

If the game is designed to simulate gravity/have the vehicle touch the road, then this is an obvious flaw, and should be addressed. Driving a truck back and fourth can be repetitive. But I don't think this is acceptable.

Going by what you've said, they use the same prefab for every dirt road, which is ridiculous in my opinion. No variety whatsoever.
xXCARL1992Xx

#1382 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 11 Sep 2020 11:18

ever heard of bump mapping ? this can create road surface imperfections without actually modelling them, same as normal mapping but the Z depth is used as information for suspension physics
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#1383 Post by plykkegaard » 11 Sep 2020 11:50

Bump mapping is a texture thing to simulate details not found in the 3D model

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
xXCARL1992Xx

#1384 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 11 Sep 2020 11:56

that is normal mapping, bump mapping is used to fake rough surfaces for roads so you don have to model every single pothole or wave in the pavement

---
well correction, bump/normal mapping can be used to simulate rough surfaces, normal maps even more because they use more infos (x, y and z) in the road case the z information will be used to fake bumps or waves on the road
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Shiva

#1385 Post by Shiva » 11 Sep 2020 12:00

Umm? " Bump mapping simulates the bumps or wrinkles in a surface without the need for geometric modifications to the model" . Source.
Altho, not that simple either.
From an iRacing blog:
Most games use a low-resolution triangle mesh for track collision. At iRacing our surfaces are defined parametrically as smooth sweeping road sections on which we overlay a separate bump map. The bump map is what captures all the track details in high fidelity.
@flight50 Do you mean the Metro Township of Copperton, Utah 84006, USA?
Or the Kennecott Copper Mine?

Regarding Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mine, I am not sure if it is the view angle/distortion, or if parts of the mine are aligned differently than IRL.
How to get the city in?
Maybe with stitching like this? :
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
Some parts may be a bit longer etc. And smoother transition than what I did.

if comparing 2/7 with a sun calculator, then the time would seem to be 8:30 AM, local time.
Then it would seem that the bridge is offset to IRL with.. well.
IRL sun and shadows would be in a 90degree angle to the bridge.
Bridge is in a southwest-northeast direction.
7/7 is about 1PM. We are looking, maybe not totally straight north, but north anyway.
Could Cripple Creek be hiding somewhere there? or northeast of what we see? Behind the hills?
Maybe, maybe not. At the moment I'm more for the not, sadly.
Will be interesting to explore that area.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
plykkegaard

#1386 Post by plykkegaard » 11 Sep 2020 12:11

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 11 Sep 2020 11:56 that is normal mapping, bump mapping is used to fake rough surfaces for roads
Don't you mean displacement maps?
In this case the actual geometry is changed during runtime

Differences in the three methods
https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/film-g ... ement-maps

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Blackspots

#1387 Post by Blackspots » 11 Sep 2020 20:27

supersobes wrote: 10 Sep 2020 13:18 Yes, Colorado and Wyoming had some crazy weather this week. It was 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 Celsius) one day and 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 Celsius) the next day. I-80 in Wyoming and I-70 in Colorado were both shutdown in some sections due to the early dose of Winter weather.
Me and the parents were in Cody, WY when the snow hit. Our plan was to go through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons to get to Pinedale, WY. However, the east entrance was closed due to the snow, so we had to take a much longer route to go through the Tetons to Pinedale. (US-20 south to Shoshone, then US-26 to Riverton and back up to Moran and US-191 south through the Tetons and Jackson, WY to Pinedale.).

We did not expect to see snow in September (although snow in Wyoming and Montana can happen at any time)

Cody, WY
[ external image ]

The Grand Tetons
[ external image ]

Obligatory Pikes Peak photo:
[ external image ]
Last edited by supersobes on 12 Sep 2020 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed pyramid quote [Forum rule 2.12]
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
flight50

#1388 Post by flight50 » 11 Sep 2020 21:50

The Tetons are going to be the spectacular in ATS. I think Western Wyoming and Western Colorado will be awesome creations in ATS. Now that we are heading into fall and soon winter, its perfect timing to be getting Colorado in ATS. I am really waiting to see a serious landscaping blog come from Colorado. This week didn't produce map expansion blogs for neither dlc. Perhaps next week we got some. Stream on Tuesday but that leaves Thursday/Friday for blogs.
Xaagon

#1389 Post by Xaagon » 11 Sep 2020 23:48

Maybe I've just been really busy, but it seems like they've come out with a ton of blogs in a very short time. Colorado, Iberia, and now Western Star. SCS definitely has a lot on their plate right now.
flight50

#1390 Post by flight50 » 12 Sep 2020 01:57

^Its the end of the year grind. A full plate is typical for them.

Return to “General discussion about the game”