Colorado Discussion Thread

MrDrCold

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#611 Post by MrDrCold » 27 May 2020 23:42

I would like to see the Vestas Plant that is just north of Brighton just off US-85 https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vesta ... 1778?hl=en(easily made as part of Denver) as well as the one in Greeley. lol I used to live in Brighton.
flight50

#612 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2020 00:03

True. Gypsum belongs to the Building Material industry. I was thinking Gysum Colorado because there's a gypsum quarry there. My want is drywall. I don't recall seeing drywall cargo. Gypsum Colorado gives us a source to haul to a manufacturer and then to Home Depot, Lowe's, Menyard's, etc. We only need a few of these quarries and we can haul all across the country.
SmokeyWolf

#613 Post by SmokeyWolf » 28 May 2020 00:52

@flight50 I thought we had gypsum as a cargo already? Same thing as dry wall. Gypsum is the proper name actually.
supersobes
Global moderator

#614 Post by supersobes » 28 May 2020 01:17

Gypsum is already in the game. It is a cargo for the sliding tarp trailer.
flight50

#615 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2020 01:50

Ahhhhhh, sliding tarp isn't the same though, lol. That don't count. We need the open cargo, we need tarped cargo as well as sliding tarp. But its the open cargo that adds the variety. The can be single stacked, double stacked, partial truck, mixed hi and low stacks....the variety I see can come from one bundle of drywall and soo many variations can come. I am just seeking 3-4 variations of the same cargo to make it seem like its not repetive.
SmokeyWolf

#616 Post by SmokeyWolf » 28 May 2020 06:36

@flight50 even if it was loaded the same all the time weight dictates how it is loaded. Double stack is common for dry wall out east.

If they can't get the tarping down then use the sliding tarp for tarped loads. But a lot of places will not load a sliding tarp believe it or not. More of a specialty trailer.
ALT2870

#617 Post by ALT2870 » 28 May 2020 13:23

All the gypsum from the quarry goes to the manufacturing plant in Gypsum, no where else. From there they ship it out via rail or flatbeds in drywall form. Back in its heyday they ran 24/7, while it's not that busy anymore it is back to 7 day operations I believe. Whether SCS respects that chain I'm doubtful if the quarry makes it in.

Alternatively there is a limestone quarry in Glenwood, more like above it. It'd be super fun to have it in as you have to go up Transfer Trail a bit which is a dirt road.

I might just have to get into map making to add some of this stuff in if it doesn't make it. I do hope they don't go overkill on the lumber industry which is very small in the state. I'd be fine with one or two sites with a plant in Denver but that's it. Farming should be a big priority considering half the state is just that. Even here in the mountains ranches rule the day.
fra_ba

#618 Post by fra_ba » 28 May 2020 13:47

Where are these two quarry located?
flight50

#619 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2020 14:22

@ALT2870. Farming in the mountains.....ahhh yeah. Now we talking. I wonder if SCS caught that. That would be quite fun. As far as gysum, perhaps the actual plant itself American Gypsum could make it in but perhaps not. That would be the location to haul from to all over the US and from train depots. I know the quarry is just across I-70 so hauling to the plant is useless. The other quarry is United Companies. We do need both Sand and Limestone quarries if Concrete will ever be more complete. Concrete is in but its missing these other 2 quarries. Then there is Costco down the street from the quarries. So that road could get 3 new places. They all would be isolated but they could still get absorbed by Glennwood Springs.
Xaagon

#620 Post by Xaagon » 28 May 2020 18:25

Speaking of farming in the mountains, I know there's a lot of farming around Alamosa. Alamosa is not really "in the mountains" as it's in the San Luis Valley, but it's west of the front range, so I often think of everything over there as "in the mountains". It's locally known for its potatoes and locals will tell you they're better than the ones grown in Idaho. I won't make that claim, but the best french fries I've ever had were in a brewpub in downtown Alamosa.

Also, there's a lot of farming in the Grand Junction area. Again that's in a valley area, but definitely the western part of the state.

Return to “General discussion about the game”