Colorado Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#1091 Post by flight50 » 31 Jul 2020 04:23

supersobes wrote:
31 Jul 2020 02:29
That's because SCS seriously underestimated the size of wind turbines when they made those trailers all those years ago the Scandinavia DLC. Hopefully SCS doesn't make the same mistake with the wind turbine cargoes in ATS for Colorado.
Agreed but the more and more I keep looking at the wind turbine components, the more it seems like they ported over the exact models from ETS2 with Vitas without changing anything. The wind turbines parts are huge in real life. Its about 2.5-3 times larger than what SCS models are. I have to agree the sizes are underestimated. Check out the reference pics below of the assemble in real life. Note how the wind turbines are as tall as the crane boom arm. Now look at the SCS models in the few screenshot. Granted they are not fully assembled, the crane arm will still be several feet/meters above them. The base segments are really not that large/long if you look at the ones on the ground and in the blog that featured the wind turbine plant a few weeks back here. In the SCS screen shots compared to the real segments on trailers the towers and other components are close to the same scales at all.

See how the cranes tower over the wind turbines irl. The turbines are way undersized in the game so far looking in from the outside. The towers should be adjusted to be more realistic to the crane height itself. I have only had the opportunity to witness blade transport on Dallas roads but they are just like the pics in the ATS Special transport thread I post here. Some of the same pics I post in this thread but there is more over in that original ST thread. I understand there is a limit to how large things can be in these games but the longest cargo we can take should at least be the length of the longest trailer which in ATS is a 12 axle setup. 9 axle trailer setup and 3 on the truck. These is the same that hauls the large blue silo and others for ST loads. The blade can at least be that long as well as tower segments. Whether SCS uses the heavy haul trailer or make a new tube extension type trailer, it should be as long as the 9 axle trailer at least imo. That is as good as a challenge we can get in ATS and still manage turns.

If SCS makes this new tube trailer, it can go for I-beams for bridges and large skyscrapers if we ever get those type of prefabs for the largest cities in the US. Imo, the top 20-30 cities in the US should have huge skscrapper prefabs in which we can take delivers to.

Note the two below. The real life tower base has more girth and is a solid piece at shown. The SCS one is 2 pieces and slimmer. Use the car/truck to compare girth of base. The base is much wider irl. It as wider than the box truck. The components need to be scaled based on the size of the trailers hauling them for more accuracy. We really shouldn't be getting turbine parts on flatbeds.
Last edited by flight50 on 31 Jul 2020 04:42, edited 4 times in total.

Shiva

#1092 Post by Shiva » 31 Jul 2020 04:28

Original length of those wind turbine parts = load would be undriveable ingame.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

flight50

#1093 Post by flight50 » 31 Jul 2020 04:44

I didn't say do the original length. I stated the length of the longest current trailer in the game. I understand the full size length won't work. I mentioned that part. Currently those parts fit on flatbeds. That's too short and too small.
Last edited by flight50 on 31 Jul 2020 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

Xaagon

#1094 Post by Xaagon » 31 Jul 2020 04:44

I've seen the blades for these windmills being transported by rail. The tip of the blade is held in a sort of sling at one end of a flatbed rail car. The base of the blade is attached to the opposite end of the NEXT rail car. The base can also pivot a little, so when the train goes around a curve the blade can move left or right as the two cars follow the rails.

Shiva

#1095 Post by Shiva » 31 Jul 2020 04:45

We'll have to see what lenght they do for ATS :)
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.

flight50

#1096 Post by flight50 » 31 Jul 2020 04:49

@Xaagon yeah you can see them here. This is Brighton, Colorado. The longest ATS trailer is perhaps 2 of these train cars. Scale the blades to two train cars and/or to the length of the longest ATS trailer and we good. But currently 53', won't cut it. The girth of the rotor attachment should increase and the rotor itself should get scale up another 1.5-2 times imo.

These parts have to feel ginormous and flatbeds don't scream enormous. I agree that we have to see what they do for ATS. If they can adjust it now while there is plenty of time, all is good. Perhaps they can make that change in ETS2 as well. We should be delivering these components to wind farms, sea ports and train depots. We should also probably be picking them up from ports and train depots. There should be two variants of these cargoes. One for domestic transport and one fore export. Each type has a different support system in place for hauling.

I wonder what prefabs will be made to supply Vitas with to even make components. Fiberglass prefab? Resin manufacturer, plastic. We have steel already so we have to be able to supply even Vitas with materials. ATS's cargo system is already needing an overhaul but I hope weird things to get shipped to Vitas.

Shiva

#1097 Post by Shiva » 31 Jul 2020 08:37

I see 175ft and 215ft blades at that site.

Wind turbine towers, there are smaller and bigged towers.

On the tower site I see sections from about 56ft to 95ft. Vestas, 100 Tower Rd, Pueblo, CO 81004, United States.

There are options.

Kirmes-Truck

#1098 Post by Kirmes-Truck » 31 Jul 2020 09:24

@ SCS

If you are discussing about windturbines you also should consider the red blinking lights at night.

It is fascinating to see 50 or 60 red lights of these big windturbines blink at the same time.

I mean literally at the same time on and off over a radius of may be 5km.

I dont know if this is also in the US.

The red beacon lights warn air vehicles like low flying aircrafts or helicopters to avoid collisions.
Although in the latest avionic systems windturbines are saved in the obstacle databases of terrain awareness systems.

I red that in germany many people complain about these red lights which are visible at night.
Many feel very disturbed by these lights who live near these windturbines.
Therefore it is planned to install transponder on 600 windturbines which only activate the red beacon lights if an air vehicle is close enough to the windturbines.

I red that in the state (Bundesland) of Nordrheinwestfalen (biggest state of 16 states in germany) at least 600 windturbines will get this feature first.

No informations about other states.

May be it is also important for future updates of the german map in ETS2.

Here is an interesting article in german. You need to translate.

https://www.westfalenwind.de/das-naecht ... -ein-ende/

flight50

#1099 Post by flight50 » 31 Jul 2020 14:14

@Shiva, the 175' is long enough. But even that might be too long for ATS. The below is the longest ATS trailer we have. This is the 9 axle I was mentioning. I don't know the total length of this thing but if SCS chose to use this or make a tube trailer, this is the longest we can comfortably play with. The two highlighted red spots are possibly pivoting mounts that allow the blades to pivot separate from the articulating trailer itself. The blades indeed come in varies lengths though. SCS has to set a min and a max for sure. I am sure they will only do one length. No more than 2 though. In doing a Google search, there are many blades lengths out there. One source says 120' (36.5m), another says 116' (35.3m), 148' (45.1) and 143' (43.5m). I'd just pick the smallest so the 116' or 120'. I don't know what's longer in the Magnitude 80 series below or Turn Pike doubles but either way, this length is about the longest we get in ATS perhaps.

@Kirmes-Truck we already have the blinking lights in the game.

Blackspots

#1100 Post by Blackspots » 31 Jul 2020 15:19

I see you're using Coast to Coast.
Last edited by supersobes on 31 Jul 2020 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed pyramid quote [Forum rule 2.12]
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

Return to “General discussion about the game”