Colorado Discussion Thread

ALT2870

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#141 Post by ALT2870 » 27 Mar 2020 01:37

It's certainly US-550, noticed it immediately on the blog post, used to drive it all the time when I went down for a soccer tournament in Durango. Scary enough to drive in the Spring, let alone in the Winter. The last time I went down there it was snowing up on the passes so we decided on Lizard Head after looking at the webcams. We almost went all the way to Utah up through Moab but shot the gap before it got too dangerous. Coal Bank and Molas Passes aren't too bad but you don't want to mess with Red Mountain. Plenty of semi traffic on 550 as it is a main route to Durango other then going through the south. Probably in my opinion one of the most scenic parts of the state in my opinion.

supersobes
Global moderator

#142 Post by supersobes » 27 Mar 2020 02:12

alecwarper wrote:
26 Mar 2020 22:59
https://goo.gl/maps/Y2CesdKvKt5rMh6X7
You can compare the power line behind the mountainside, the twists of the road, and the shape of the peak!

Have fun driving down one of the most dangerous roads (that trucks are allowed on) in the USA! Not too many states have that claim to fame!
Where the heck is the guardrail on that road!? :o Yeah, no kidding with that road being titled one of the most dangerous roads in the United States! :lol:
Scania trucks are the best, but the Peterbilts are good too.
Road signs are just as important as the road itself.

World of Trucks Profile | ATS Screenshots | ETS2 Screenshots | Forum Rules

ALT2870

#143 Post by ALT2870 » 27 Mar 2020 03:20

There is no guardrail for most of the gorge section due to snowplows needing to push snow over the edge.

CodArk2

#144 Post by CodArk2 » 27 Mar 2020 03:35

@flight50 Whenever new states drop, I tend to just turn traffic off the first time I go through it. If I want to stop and look at something I don't want to be honked at or run into. After that I turn traffic back on.

It will be nice with NM too, Rton won't always make me go south and through the rest of NM, especially on trips to Washington.
Last edited by CodArk2 on 27 Mar 2020 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

alecwarper

#145 Post by alecwarper » 27 Mar 2020 03:51

Just since people seem to be really excited about the Million Dollar Highway, I figured, I'd share a little bit about the towns you might expect to see in southwestern Colorado along US550

Durango- This is the largest town in the region with a population of just over 18,000. Its almost certain to be in the game, as it has a road sign in New Mexico, and is the population center for the region.
The most notable thing about Durango is definitely the Durango and Silverton Railroad running RIGHT through town, and north alongside US-550 for a bit.
They mention narrow gauge railroads in the steam store page, which makes me REALLY happy, because there are several across our state, as they made a huge part of our history!
Durango is probably the most "modern" of the towns I'm going to be talking about, but still has a large historic presence with numerous Victorian hotels, such as the General Palmer and the Strater, both built in the late 1800s and still look the same on the inside as they did when they opened!

Silverton- The northern terminus for the aforementioned "Durango and Silverton Railroad" (no, really). Silverton is generally considered the start of the million dollar highway, and many tourists flock to this town to get a taste of the authentic "western town" aesthetic. Silverton is VERY small (population around 600), but has a historic downtown from the good ol' mining days. The brightly colored buildings dating back over one hundred years makes you feel like you're stepping back in time to a much simpler time.

Ouray is the end of the Million Dollar Highway, but don't forget to drive through the historic downtown of this incredibly beautiful place. Nestled right in the middle of a valley, sorrounded on all sides by steep mountainsides, its easy to think of this as being a place truly separated from the rest of the world. The mountains truly tower over the whole town, and being here, it genuinely feels as though time will slow down. US 550 cuts right through the middle of town here, and once again, you'll see buildings unchanged since they were built back in the Victorian era. I'd LOVE to see this get implemented, but every weekday at noon, an Air Raid siren goes off, just as a small town tradition, much to the fright of tourists.

flight50

#146 Post by flight50 » 27 Mar 2020 04:56

@CodArk2. Most definitely I am pumped about what Colorado does for New Mexico. Colorado opens up Northern NM just like Utah did for Northern Arizona. It also opens up Eastern Utah. All four, makes up 4 corners. We get 2 stacked states pushing East which is gonna be nice. This really adds a to the Hockey Stick as Pavel likes to call it to start making a more boxed map.

@alecwarper. Thanks for sharing a little history with us. No doubt all (3) will make the game. I am sure Silverton and Ouray are definitely scenic towns though. Durango has enough going on that I think it will be like Bend, Coos Bay or Newport and be mapped. A long slender city. In South Durango, I see a Home Depot and a Walmart. North Durango I spot an Albertson's. There are lots of fill in type stuff so no issues about making it full looking. But for a small town, it doesn't need to be much larger than the 3 cities I mentioned. Oxford/Bayfield could fall under Durango. That entire areas seems to be loaded with farms and oil as its tucked inside mountain ranges. Highlighted below, red marks the farms, in blue marks the oil/gas. With farming and oil in the mix, this gives purpose not only to Southwestern Colorado, but it allows NM to hopefully expand into the new industry that was brought in by Utah.

rbsanford

#147 Post by rbsanford » 27 Mar 2020 06:13

I think there will only be enough room for either Silverton or Ouray as scenery, but not both. Between those two, I'm banking on Ouray, since the 550 runs right through the downtown as the main street, while pretty much bypassing Silverton. Besides, without Silverton there'll be more room for the highway.
The journeys of Zephyr of the American West: Volume One, Two, Three.

Fun maps and diagrams.

flight50

#148 Post by flight50 » 27 Mar 2020 06:23

If we had to do one or the other, yeah I 'd agree. Cut out the middle one. Get the Million dollar ftom Durango to Ouray.

Larry71490

#149 Post by Larry71490 » 27 Mar 2020 14:32

Finally we get to add to 25.

heroictrucker

#150 Post by heroictrucker » 27 Mar 2020 16:15

I was wondering if it is possible too see a Forrest being on fire

And u see a good distance of a smoke coming from the Forrest being non fire

I haven't seen it in a longtime like it was back in the day of 18th WOS

I think it was across America where I see a Forrest fire in the game if I'm correct on this

This would be an event like this

Return to “General discussion about the game”