Colorado Discussion Thread

Linow916

Re: Colorado Discussion Thread

#21 Post by Linow916 » 29 Dec 2019 21:08

That's a nice video. So many cool ideas for when we end up getting seasons.

Here's the continuation:

dbddimov

#22 Post by dbddimov » 04 Jan 2020 12:26

Douglas Pass CO hwy 139
https://youtu.be/3qflvBF_n4Y

fra_ba

#23 Post by fra_ba » 04 Jan 2020 13:19

I'm sure SR139 will be in! it's a good connection for reaching Vernal too.

flight50

#24 Post by flight50 » 04 Jan 2020 15:35

CO-139 is actually a very nice road. It's quite the distance from US-191 and I agree that it helps with getting to Vernal and even Rock Springs, Wyoming. But on the other hand, CO-64/CO-13 has scenic towns that would be more of use than CO-139. Both would be nice, but I don't think both happens day one. Either way, we need a West Colorado connection to US-40 to I-70.

All of Western Colorado gives us great and exciting opportunities to cut thru the Rockies. If I was the devs, this should be wonderland and easy mapping. Why? the more mountains, the less they have to map beyond them. Mountains optimize the scenic almost instantly. Hopefully we get parallel roads East to West with US-40, I-70, US-50 and US-160. In between those running North and South will be what SCS has to determine. One thing for sure is that Western Colorado should be a master piece and once the blogs start up for it, we should see some nice landscaping. So once Idaho releases, get ready. I'd am expecting to see Colorado blogs around May/June. If it takes a bit longer, so be it.

The Winter version won't come for a while. But this Summer Video from Riding Shotgun gives us a better idea on what we could get if SCS gave it to us.

dbddimov

#25 Post by dbddimov » 05 Jan 2020 00:00

Million Dollar Highway.. Red Mountain Pass Highway 550

flight50

#26 Post by flight50 » 24 Jan 2020 20:25

I was over in the ATS map concept thread and to not thread jack it, I was looking at the Denver skyline so I came here instead. The thought came from Denver being similar to SLC. My thinking is that if Denver looks like SLC does in ATS, we will all be disappointed. Unless SCS fixes the SLC backdrop in an update eventually, Denver will suffer the same fate as SLC. Lets hope Denver gets better justice which will prompt for a better SLC as well.

But a few pics I found from a few angles, makes a lot to be desired with Denver.

rbsanford

#27 Post by rbsanford » 24 Jan 2020 21:14

The thing is, those photos were taken at a long distance with a good zoom lens. It's a great method for making distant mountains look more imposing compared to still-enormous buildings, but I wouldn't expect a landscape of that scale behind Denver in ATS.

Here's a street view at the I-25/70 interchange. You can see that the mountains are certainly prominent, but they're still a ways off. Looking at the views in other parts of Denver, the mountains are always a beautiful backdrop, but they actually appear smaller than the Wasatches do when viewed from SLC.

If anything, I can imagine the Front Range being closer to Denver in ATS than it is in real life, due to scale. For reference, Eisenhower Tunnel, at the summit of the Front Range, is at most 45 miles from downtown Denver, I reckon. This is equal to the distance between Portland and Salem.
Check out my Imgur page for ATS screenshots, railfanning, ship spotting, and more!
Latest screenshot album: Vol V: the Colorado Experience

Handy maps and diagrams.

flight50

#28 Post by flight50 » 25 Jan 2020 01:39

I am sure SCS is prepared for Denver as they knew long distance scenery was coming. That is why in Washington, they learned to bake in the mountains at distance. I am expecting more of this with dx11 and with the graphics overhaul. Not to mention the new rock formation tool. If they want to capture Denver, they really have to find a way to get distant mountains. Mt St Helens and Mt Hood are distance mountains in ATS but Colorado will have more spots of it.That is all we really need, low res distance mountains.

Xaagon

#29 Post by Xaagon » 30 Jan 2020 06:10

Mountains are a lot closer to I-25 in Colorado Springs than Denver.

Here's a street view of I-25 looking south. Downtown Colorado Springs is on the left, Cheyenne Mountain is on the right:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8403059 ... 312!8i6656

And here's a view looking straight at the mountains from US-24 about 1 mile east of I-25:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8118371 ... 312!8i6656

bigfoot31415926

#30 Post by bigfoot31415926 » 30 Jan 2020 15:00

While I love the mountain driving, and I really do. I may be one of the few people actually looking forward to the Great Plains or what some people derogatorily call the "Flyover" states. It's the kind of landscape I'm used to, so I'm excited to finally see it in game. We got a small taste of it north of Yuma when they added US-95 and it just made me hungrier for more. :twisted:

I remember the local high school team went down to the SE part of Ohio for a football game one year. This area is influenced a bit from the Appalachians, so there are lot of hills and curvy roads. And they just couldn't fathom an area like mine where the roads are straight as an arrow and you can see for miles and miles in every direction. :shock:
East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
We're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

Return to “General discussion about the game”