Washington
64%
Utah
14%

Total votes: 236

flight50

Re: Best map of DLC?

#31 Post by flight50 » 29 Dec 2019 04:13

interstate trav wrote: 27 Dec 2019 23:11 I think if Los Angeles gets reworked with California I think it will be a bigger favorite imagine the Los Angeles freeway network along with the potential new roads.
I think California would need more than a LA rebuild to be a favorite. Even redoing San Francisco and Oakland isn't enough imo. Cali needs more but not a complete rebuild imo.
Sora wrote: 28 Dec 2019 00:36 The ATS base map is kind of weird. When I first got the game, I was amazed by how high-quality it was compared to what I had been used to from ETS2. I definitely agree with this........until new dlc's started rolling out, lol.

If I had to do a top three, I'd say the three things that bother me most about the ATS base map are (1) signage, (2) weird road network decisions, and (3) really really ugly mountains. The first of these is thankfully getting addressed, but the other two are probably here to stay. I agree here too. 1) natvander is on the case though 2) reworking and/or replacing incorrect junctions would fix this. Its slow going but I think they will eventually change them. 3) ohhhh my. This is my biggest issue with the base map states. Some mountain ranges are okay. Some have too much contrast and others just look like they came from Playstation One. I noticed with max graphics and settings, it gets a pinch better but nooooowhere close to even NM. Utah, completely blows California and Nevada mountains out the water. I surely hope number 3) is part of this graphic overhaul due for hopefully 1.38 in 2020. I am don't know if its as simple as changing textures, or if new models will replace the crappy mountains. I honestly hope, the models just completely eliminate the bad models built that looks like Playstation One, lol.

Honestly? I don't think major city rebuilds alone are enough to resolve the base map anymore. California needs to be completely rebuilt. First part, I agree. Second part I don't. I don't think all of California is bad. Especially the Northern part that came for the Oregon dlc. California is still much better than base map Germany. The issue with remaking California is that it takes away an entire year of developing another dlc for the future. I'd rather them replace the bad area and keep it moving for now. Perhaps once SCS gets to the Mississippi, they could have more manpower to full rebuild older states. For now, patch them and keep it moving. From going into the map editor, CA hill02 is one of the horrible mountains models I have seen. There is 1-2 more if I am not mistaking. Re model these, call it the same thing and I hope it replaces the old model without breaking anything. If more base map components can be done like this, we are cooking with some good hot grease.
Knightrider wrote: 28 Dec 2019 02:47 At some point, germany-like rebuilds are going to be needed in some parts of California.
Agreed. In parts is fine for now. I don't have too many issues with California as I don't avoid anything there on purpose. I deliver based on the cargoes I like to haul. I can say for a time, I tried avoiding I-5 as much as I could until Oregon/Washington came. Now with Sierra Nevada in my equation, it makes things that much better in regards to options.
interstate trav

#32 Post by interstate trav » 29 Dec 2019 06:16

I have to say while I understand the time it would take for the full rebuild, I also think depending on how there going to do it, if they can rebuild it and it will look better and take some more time I’d be more for that. But if the graphics and such can be redone without the whole state for now I’d agree there.

The problem I have is the scenery along the 5 10 15 40 is all wrong. The Grapevine and Cajon Pass are the only thing close. The
lack of cities in Southern California important freeways like the 14 being reduced to minor roads. Los Angeles not having the outskirts it needs or the freeways to make it realistic.

Also the elevation changes along the 15 from Barstow to Primm and the same with the 40. It’s more noticeable now with Utah and as each new state comes out.

Same with Las Vegas with the scenery, and I understand the re scale is a big part but if it’s the same as a new DLC to have California up to par I think it’s worth it as it is the first one you buy and the most populated.

But we will see what happens, I’m just hoping they make Southern California dense like in real life.
meistroracer88

#33 Post by meistroracer88 » 29 Dec 2019 08:41

Here's my favorite list Best to lest

1. Washington - (Hands down the best State DLC, so far)
2. Oregon - (This state dlc compliments WAshington to the T. )
3. Utah
4. New Mexico
bobgrey1997

#34 Post by bobgrey1997 » 29 Dec 2019 10:16

flight50 wrote: 29 Dec 2019 04:13The issue with remaking California is that it takes away an entire year of developing another dlc for the future. I'd rather them replace the bad area and keep it moving for now.
I think I am going to have to completely disagree with this one.
Sure, dedicating the team to further expansions and simply patching up major trouble spots in old areas sounds great on paper. However, keep in mind that the vast majority of the playerbase is base-game only (no DLC). Not to mention new players are likely to start out with only base-game (or maybe just California in the free trial). When they start and are greeted by the outdated ugly mess that is most of California and Nevada, especially with the noticeable difference between it and the few updated regions, what kind of image does that paint for them in regards to the potential of the DLC?
If you hear of this great game a friend of yours plays and the wonderous amount of content that can be had in DLC, how would you feel when you buy (or try) it only to find ugly "playstation 2" style graphics? Would you even be bothered to continue to explore the gameplay or let alone the DLC?

I understand that graphics are not the most important part of a game, but they make up the vast majority of first-impression impact, which carries significant weight in the decision to continue to invest in a game (or keep it, given Steams full-refund return policy).

Long story short: while a complete rebuild of California, Nevada (and maybe) Arizona would take a long time which may cause delays to future DLC, it would definitely to the job of getting the base map up to par, which would provide a massive improvement to the first-impression on new players as well as renew the interest of old players. This would also have a significant impact on DLC sales in the future.
Some newbie driver

#35 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Dec 2019 12:55

@bobgrey1997 has a strong point on that. Is like if new players on ETS2 could only play on UK map. Lots of them would flee in panic and not touch again the game. To the contrary, those who travel to French or Italian parts of the base map, or at least the reworked German parts, will have for sure a better opinion of the game. Two friends of mine recently started to play ETS and I suggested them to move to Scandinavia as soon as possible (they purchased a combo offer that included 2 map DLC). They told me how they noticed the difference instantaneously and now they are driving most there and planning to purchase more DLC.

It has been said (if I remember well) that ATS is having built a third map team. They could start making a good change on ATS base map while the other 2 teams keep the rate of 2 states per year in 2020. Just guessing , but it's an option SCS has there.
Knightrider

#36 Post by Knightrider » 29 Dec 2019 12:57

Its funny that while the game was rescaled 3 years ago, the 1:35 scale still haunts us with its marks on the base map.
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.
Sametbey2

#37 Post by Sametbey2 » 29 Dec 2019 13:01

Do not forget! A new California is as important as a Texas, and some areas within California are even more important!
:!:
angrybirdseller

#38 Post by angrybirdseller » 29 Dec 2019 14:18

I love total rebuild of California, but most likely long term they will bring California up to the level of Arizona with Los Angeles getting newer assets and new roads along with small changes to base map. I rather see base map improved the next two years rather than add roads, but game get popular enough could have map team dedicated to improvements to the map. It would be good for ATS to have map team dedicated to bug fixes, rebuilding old map sectors, and improving scenery. I rather see new states at this point as California not horrible like ETS2 map of Germany, and could live with California for now. Not opposed rebuilding California, but I understand building new states should take priority.
flight50

#39 Post by flight50 » 29 Dec 2019 14:56

@bobgrey1997. The part you quoted doesn't compute to me. We are talking about two different things. If they rebuilt California from scratch, how long do you think it will take. 2 weeks, 6 months or 12+ months just like any other dlc. They'd have to go back to the drawing board to get updated info for at least 50% of California. If they are going to redo it, do it right and that takes time. To say that it won't take away from a future map is a bit of a head scratchier. But you all are fine to disagree.

Also in that quote......notice the word "now". For those that have followed me in other threads, what you stated is something I repeated several times already. I do agree that an upgraded California is a seller for newcomers. I have stated a few times that a demo of the game with an upgraded California would pull more in with all the accuracy the game is getting in. If SCS rebuild California from scratch vs updating the main part.....for now, I have no issues with that and I support that. Once ATS can justify its income, then SCS can rebuild from scratch when they have the manpower. Currently, I don't think ATS is even remotely close to making that ETS2 money to pull a team for a rebuild like Germany. California will be free of charge and unless enough new people buy it, that time is better spent making money on something that people will pay for. Patch it up now and come back later when they have the manpower to do so. Right now the manpower is spent on increasing the overall map in which the map size and lack of trucks is what's hurting ATS, not California. There is plenty of youtube video out there of game play of other states if people wanted to compare 2016 ATS to 2019 ATS. If they still are not convinced, they never really planned on buying extra content or even the game itself in the first place imo. If the devs go back and rebuild things every 2-3 years, we will never get to the end.
Sametbey2 wrote: 29 Dec 2019 13:01 Do not forget! A new California is as important as a Texas, and some areas within California are even more important!
:!:
You are quoting InterstateTrav here. The important part for SCS is to make money despite what we say. All maps have purpose and any loyal fan would want nothing but the best for ATS. I don't think there are too many people that get more excited and are more passionate about ATS than I am. I never said California doesn't matter. I want it updated just like everyone else but it has to be done wisely. I am saying the devs have to be wise in what they do and keep money generated for ATS as well as update things. Pavel said on the June 27th 2018 stream that he plans to bring all the older parts of the map up to par with current dlc. I have no doubt this will happen, but they need manpower for this and I don't see a flood of people pushing down the doors at SCS. Even if they did, not everyone is cut out for the job. SCS could hire 300 more people just to meet the demands fans put on them. At the same time, however many they hire, if not justified, the doors close due to lack of funding. SCS is a business and if you hire faster than the profit, you get yourself in trouble.
Last edited by flight50 on 29 Dec 2019 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#40 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 29 Dec 2019 15:02

setting aside 10 to 12 mappers that do the whole rebuild, like Pavel mention for the UK in ETS2, i see no problem there
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”