[FORUM GAME] Where is this? (Game instructions on page 1)

nautofon

Re: [FORUM GAME] Where is this? (Game instructions on page 1)

#2031 Post by nautofon » 29 Nov 2021 20:29

This is clearly somewhere in one of the biggest cities of ATS at a major interchange. Not too many of those around. I don't really recognize this view though, so my guess would be it's the one I'm least familiar with: The 80 WB at the 15 in Salt Lake.

By the way, I'm not too wild about edited screenshots for this forum game...
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Reis_6

#2032 Post by Reis_6 » 29 Nov 2021 21:16

No, too cold.
A hint: This place is a junction of 2 interstates.
I thought this was a very interesting place to take the picture, but the plates would give way too easily. In the rules it doesn't say anything about covering plates, but if the majority agrees that this is not good for the game, I won't do it that way anymore when it's my turn. Remembering, I did this just to not make it too easy, because with them in view I would deliver the place.
nautofon

#2033 Post by nautofon » 29 Nov 2021 21:55

Oh sure, it's within the current rules all right :) I just meant it looks more natural if "give aways" are hidden with trucks or other elements. For example, in this particular shot, I bet placing the camera a few feet higher would have hidden the overhead signs fine. I think signs that are edited to be empty just look wrong, and are distracting with the game ... but maybe that's just me!
Last edited by nautofon on 29 Nov 2021 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Vinnie Terranova

#2034 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 29 Nov 2021 21:55

Is it at Portland, OR?

P.S. I also don't like editing of an original screenshot. I even don't think it's a good idea to hide the XXX barriers within a screenshot. The screenshots should be as plain vanilla as possible; without Photoshopping, without editing the config file, without using the console, etc. Maybe the only thing that is allowed is using dev cam, but I would perfectly understand if other people are against using dev cam.
nautofon

#2035 Post by nautofon » 29 Nov 2021 22:23

Upon closer inspection, there are palm trees in the background here, so it's probably considerably further to the south. I don't think Las Vegas or Arizona have four-way interchanges with an asymmetric configuration like this, so ... is this somewhere along I-8 in San Diego? I haven't been down there in ages. Both the I-15 and the I-5 interchanges with I-8 are asymmetric, but IIRC the interchange of I-15 and I-8 has only single-lane ramps. Might this be at I-5 and I-8? In that case though, I have no idea which way you're facing here...
Vinnie Terranova

#2036 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 29 Nov 2021 22:41

Oh, I read it wrong... I read "A hint: This place is a junction of 2 states." instead of "interstates"... Yeah, that probably could indeed be I-5 / I-8. I think it's facing westbound.
nautofon

#2037 Post by nautofon » 29 Nov 2021 22:51

You're probably right ... I'm gonna say northbound then, let's see who wins 8-)
bobgrey1997

#2038 Post by bobgrey1997 » 30 Nov 2021 00:52

I was going to guess Portland where the 84 ends, or maybe somewhere in the upper Seattle region. But then, the trees in the background don't look familiar to the area. I haven't seen San Francisco since the 15 was extended down that way, so I have very little memory of the interchanges there. The one thing I do remember is the I-8/5 junction is almost completely elevated, so this very well could be it. If so, I don't think it would be facing west. The shadows look off. If this was facing west, that would place the sun to the northeast. Even in the middle of summer, the sun is hardly that far north in the sky, att least as far as I have ever noticed (though, admittedly, I don't pay too much attention to the angle of sunlight on most days).
This could simply be the result of the direction at which 8 and 5 meet. Memory says 8 is almost perfectly east/west here, but I could very well be wrong about that.

As for editing images, as much as I hate for the obvious removal of details (I'd much rather it be more immersive, such as using other aspects of the environment like vehicles, buildings, and poles to block visibility of them), I understand it is necessary sometimes. In this case, the only object that could've been efficiently used to block the signs is the bridge. However, acing the camera in such a way to do so would block almost the entire view, only giving a view of the bridge and the concrete below.
That said, incorporating information that could give away the area is also very nice. I remember a screenshot a while back showing a distance sign with no text removed or blocked. This was perfect, as those of us interested in maps and signage could find all the information we needed there, while also still providing a challenge with only a few distant locations and a rough estimate of how far they are (these signs are not accurate).
Reis_6

#2039 Post by Reis_6 » 30 Nov 2021 01:48

nautofon wrote: 29 Nov 2021 22:23 Might this be at I-5 and I-8? In that case though, I have no idea which way you're facing here...
[ external image ]

Wow, what a heated discussion here! haha
So, you guys guessed exactly why I did the PS edit on the image. If I used the bridge to block the plates, the image would be practically on the concrete of the bridge. And if I put it too high up, to go over the bridge, you could notice it somehow very easily, because from this point you can see the beach, so that would be the end of the mystery.

About the plates, in my opinion, sounds good for me to hide some road name on the plates like I did, just to not be too obvious... I have searched for so many images in my other times to be able to insert them here for the game, but there was always a plate where u guys could deduce the exact location.
I'm glad about that heated discussion here about the location and the most accurate and first one was the @nautofon. Your turn.
Vinnie Terranova

#2040 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 30 Nov 2021 07:37

nautofon wrote: 29 Nov 2021 22:51You're probably right ... I'm gonna say northbound then, let's see who wins
It would be you who wins; it's all about the location a picture is taken, not about in what direction a picture is taken. So, congratulations! :D

Return to “General discussion about the game”