FMOD Discussion [ATS]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Harven
Global moderator

Re: FMOD Discussion [ATS]

#2531 Post by Harven » 21 Oct 2021 13:03

Documentation for the remote event is now available: https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Docume ... ruckRemote (includes new example project)

The event should be as simple as possible. If you think you need a separate event for an exhaust that means you're making it too complex. Of course people will make bloated events the same as they do with 3d models (there already was a video showing how to make the remove event by just copying the actual engine event). That's how you can tell a poor mod from a good mod.

Anyway, more events would mean more data send over the network to all players so that's probably one of the reasons. I would guess playing more events is probably also more CPU-heavy than playing a single event with many tracks. So with 8 players the game would have to play 14 events (or 21 if the turbo would be separate as well) instead of just 7 for remote trucks.
Robinicus

#2532 Post by Robinicus » 21 Oct 2021 13:41

IMO it is unnecessary but good the info is posted for a change
Drive Safely

#2533 Post by Drive Safely » 21 Oct 2021 20:15

Nice to see the remote event documentation available. That example remote event is more generous with parameters and audio tracks than I was expecting.

This statement is intriguing: "Due to the performance, the sound for the remote truck needs to be significantly simplified".

It'll be interesting to see what takes the performance hit first in multiplayer, non-sound mods or the FMOD sound engine?
Robinicus

#2534 Post by Robinicus » 21 Oct 2021 20:22

From working a lot on FMOD in other titles....you run into buffer overruns pretty quickly which (depending on priority settings) will cause the game to drop sounds. Have not seen a crash in ATS yet, but in other titles where people have used an extreme amount of streaming assets in their mods, I have seen it cause fatal memory crashes.

Hoping that modders take a responsible approach here as the current structure does open up the risk of poorly made mods causing performance issues....to my earlier point about this being an unnecessary addition....unless dev camming on the side of the road watching people drive by is your thing....
Bandit & The Snowman

#2535 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 22 Oct 2021 00:47

Well hearing someone’s modded jake brake through the opened window may sound interesting to some.

So this memory issue (if it can be called that) is a real shortcoming of FMOD?
Robinicus

#2536 Post by Robinicus » 22 Oct 2021 02:04

It is if it is setup as unrestricted on the API side which is the way SCS approached it...on a decent PC you aren't going to have a problem but many people play this game on potatoes and are going to run into issues if modders make "fat" versions of their mods
BenFitz176

#2537 Post by BenFitz176 » 24 Oct 2021 02:58

Yeah sweet . just an FYI the video i made was for instruction only I didnt actually use my engine event sounds in the remote bank, i modified it all to suit the remote bank sounds and structure of it. I didnt think modders needed a lesson in how to build the sounds.
Love your work harven. you do quality stuff mate
Optional Features

#2538 Post by Optional Features » 09 Nov 2021 21:50

I think we ran into a bit of what Robinicus was describing in a recent convoy I did. There are sputtering at times in the engine sounds. That being said, when running the same engine, we had no such problem, and it's an incredible experience. I think this is about as good as ATS can get.
SlavJerry

#2539 Post by SlavJerry » 10 Nov 2021 23:40

my mods have a sound glitch problem that sometimes some sounds (mostly sounds with high pitch) will struggle and glitch like this
https://youtu.be/vTLiO3ekXno?t=1253
first I thought it was just performance problem and plan to optimize it, but yesterday this glitch happened to my conversion mod that have very basic sound system and no special effects

any idea about this problem?
I make mods

yeah that's pretty much it
serialblack

#2540 Post by serialblack » 11 Nov 2021 00:40

that is the issues that Robinicus has already mentioned too many "fat" sounds so some are being clipped out, it may not be the mod you've done specifically, but a combination of all the sound mods together maxing out the system in a way.

Return to “Modding Guides”