FMOD Discussion [ATS]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Drive Safely

Re: FMOD Discussion [ATS]

#2471 Post by Drive Safely » 10 Jul 2021 00:46

Drive Safely wrote: 30 Jun 2021 04:31 Somehow I can't get custom AI traffic horns to work properly.
Even if I route it to traffic in the Mixer Routing, its sound position is in the player's truck rather than the AI traffic vehicle itself. How did SCS do it?
I figured out how to correct the sound position. I just had to add the play parameter to the loop condition
serialblack

#2472 Post by serialblack » 23 Jul 2021 18:14

quick question, is there any benefit to using wav files over ogg? I see most use wav now, but I never bothered to switch and I don't know if there's any point to converting everything over, other than just being a different format.
xXCARL1992Xx

#2473 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Jul 2021 18:23

if you dont record your own sound samples it doesnt matter, if you do, .wav doesnt compress and looses quality, .ogg does compress and looses quality
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Robinicus

#2474 Post by Robinicus » 23 Jul 2021 19:04

@serialblack - keep in mind that every time an audio file is converted from one format to another there is degradation of the sample - you can hear it in a lot of the work being put out lately; you are far better to use the sample in the format you have it in (even if it was originally a wav that was converted to ogg before you got it for example) than to convert it to anything.
serialblack

#2475 Post by serialblack » 25 Jul 2021 07:31

Ya that I have noticed. I just had my Audacity setup for ogg files, so I guess I will stick with that. Thanks for the info.
serialblack

#2476 Post by serialblack » 25 Jul 2021 22:10

@xXCARL1992Xx sorry I didn't notice your comment right away, I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, you meaning to say they BOTH loose quality, but the ogg files can be compressed? I do get all my own samples, as most people I seem to associate with are all in the industry, including myself....to an extent. I guess in the end if there is no real different in INITIAL quality when recording it...then I won't change anything at all.
xXCARL1992Xx

#2477 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 25 Jul 2021 23:16

No, .wav is a looseless uncompressed audio format, .ogg is a loosy compressed one, .wav will retain all its quality where .ogg wont because you can compress it like an .mp3
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Robinicus

#2478 Post by Robinicus » 26 Jul 2021 02:12

Technically that is correct....the fact is though, most people cannot tell the difference between them. There was a paper I posted early on about that, they surveyed tons of people and the accuracy rate of picking which format was which was less than 1%.

My point of that comment, is that if you have a method that you are happy with, don't mess with it for a technically more accurate sample as the reality is what matters to your ears and not on a piece of paper.
serialblack

#2479 Post by serialblack » 26 Jul 2021 05:17

So some audiophile with super expensive equipment wouldn't really be able to tell, so why should care....got it. lol
xXCARL1992Xx

#2480 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Jul 2021 07:42

it is not about who can hear the difference, people with the right audio equipment CAN do it, it is about how much can you work with it without quality degrading until it IS noticeable when you change it, you also wouldnt record a video in 1080p and edit it so long until it is only 480p because of a bunch of zooms you did, this is why some people record in 4, or even 8k, the videos will never release in this quality but it is used for editing purpose

and it only makes sense if said sample are recorded by yourself with an actual mic and recording setup, not if you rip a sample from youtube, then you can just use .ogg
[ external image ]

Return to “Modding Guides”