FMOD Discussion [ATS]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Robinicus

Re: FMOD Discussion [ATS]

#2381 Post by Robinicus » 28 Dec 2020 01:38

@yaumeister - it will take some troubleshooting to make sure you have valid parameters; there really isn't a specific fault tree for FMOD as it can only throw codes it knows could exist.

I would suggest using Live Update with the console open at the same time so you can narrow down the bank that caused the error, tweak it on the fly to see if it is resolved and then save the revised bank & guids.
siebel3d

#2382 Post by siebel3d » 28 Dec 2020 12:57

@yaumeister if you're updating a sound from 1.37 to 1.39, it could be that it's missing a parameter. It happened to me when I separated the turbo event.
I would suggest you to use the SCS Template.
liberto

#2383 Post by liberto » 29 Dec 2020 10:38

I'm trying to add squeaking and rattling sounds to the interior noise (seat noise, suspension noise, etc.) but I can't understand for the life of me how they are triggered and how I can change them.
I thought they were under /sound/truck/interior_noise.bank but it seems like it's not the case. I tried extracting the bank file with fmodbank tool, change the sounds to very loud and long ones (3-4 seconds each), keeping the same file name etc. but once in the game, I just don't hear anything (all the interior noise sliders are all the way up).

Multiple questions from there:
  • 1. Could it be because of some audio format shenanigans? I exported my sounds to WAV in audacity, but I see a different bitrate than SCS ones. (1411 Kbits vs 768Kbits for SCS)
  • 2. Do I have to fiddle with FMOD as well? I thought as long as I only change the sounds while keeping the name and such, I would be fine. Am I wrong?
  • 3.What are these interior noises anyway? Even with the stock ones, I cannot trigger them (at least I don't hear anything that looks like what I heard by manually opening them in VLC)
I also tried to modify the noise.bank (suspension noises, specifically), as I know how to trigger them in game. But again, my sounds cannot be heard.

The wiki is very lacking on this topic, it makes me sad :(
Robinicus

#2384 Post by Robinicus » 29 Dec 2020 12:29

@liberto - I think on this one there is very little we can do at this point; I have hit railroad crossings at cruise speed without getting any noise so I'm not even sure what has to happen in the game to trigger these noises....but we can't adjust that part either so all you can really do is add your own and maybe sometime you will hear it....
liberto

#2385 Post by liberto » 29 Dec 2020 18:20

Aw, sucks for now, because it worked in the past. I recall Sound Fixes Pack had squeaking and keychain sounds. Must have been broken during the FMOD update, I guess.
But still, even when I replace the suspension sounds in noise.bank (that play when driving over a curb for instance), it's silent (only with my sounds), so there must be some kind of issue with my soundfiles. Not sure what though.

Anyway, I'll see if there's a bug filed for the missing interior sounds.
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 29 Dec 2020 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule 2.12
Robinicus

#2386 Post by Robinicus » 29 Dec 2020 20:31

@liberto - if you are using the sound bank tool, they have to be named exactly the same as the original file and in the same format; you can't have custom names or use an ogg in place of a wav etc.
serialblack

#2387 Post by serialblack » 01 Jan 2021 17:58

So I have run into an interesting issue. For some reason one of my engine mods no longer has sound for only one variant of the engine. A non turbo version. I get no errors, and everything seems to show up fine, however there is no sound in game at all. It also seems to be only the non turbo variant that is effected. Could it be due to the fact that I removed all references to the turbo, including the turbo parameter itself? I made sure in the reference file that I had it set to 3 sounds instead of 4, and removed any mention of turbo (since there isn't one)....Aside from remaking the non turbo bank from scratch again, not sure what went wrong or how to fix. Also, for the sake of clarity, I DID use the turbo variant, and just made a new bank for it, and I have double checked to ensure the IDs are different, which they are. Any suggestions?
Robinicus

#2388 Post by Robinicus » 01 Jan 2021 18:28

@serialblack - when you made the new bank from the turbo variant, did you copy it into a new template or did you just use the save as command? If you used the save as option, the game won't be able to read it as everything has to start with a new template....if that is what you did, it is an easy fix, I posted how to resolved it in post 1.

I have a couple of non-turbo engines (not released yet) but I built them the same way as a normal engine and just used a blank sound file for the turbo asset; I never tried without having anything tied to it as I just assumed it would cause problems.
liberto

#2389 Post by liberto » 03 Jan 2021 21:25

Robinicus wrote: 29 Dec 2020 20:31 @liberto - if you are using the sound bank tool, they have to be named exactly the same as the original file and in the same format; you can't have custom names or use an ogg in place of a wav etc.
That's what I did. I don't understand what could be wrong. Maybe it cannot be repacked with the sound bank tool or something. (If someone could just try to change sounds from "interior_noise.bank" with fmod bank tool maybe, just to confirm it doesn't work. Or if someone has an example of how I can create the bank file from scratch with FMOD, I'm all ears too).
Aside from the bitrate, I don't know what could cause this, but I have no idea how I can change the bitrate on a non-compressed (wav) file.

Also, good news is I just found out default SCS interior sound are audible. Their volume is just VERY VERY low, despite having the volume slider all the way to the max. Had to mute all other sounds to hear them. To trigger them, you can swing the truck right to left, it should play when changing direction.
Drive Safely

#2390 Post by Drive Safely » 04 Jan 2021 01:47

Anyone have an idea on how to configure the rumble strip sounds to work properly with the musical road on Route 66 between Albuquerque and Tijeras?

Return to “Modding Guides”