FMOD Discussion [ATS]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: FMOD Discussion

#31 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 18 Jan 2020 00:17

on top of the 10 or 30k for Fmod itself (depending in what category they fall under, Indie we can say to 100% is out) and without the optional stuff Fmod has (5k just for 1 more year email support :roll: ), but where is it written that this plugin program can be used with FMod, didnt find anything on the page, or is it general for sound mixing ?
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
mackintosh

#32 Post by mackintosh » 18 Jan 2020 00:35

If they kill sound mods, I’m done with this game.
Robinicus

#33 Post by Robinicus » 18 Jan 2020 00:38

Last edited by Robinicus on 21 Feb 2020 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Blackspots

#34 Post by Blackspots » 18 Jan 2020 04:24

mackintosh wrote: 18 Jan 2020 00:35 If they kill sound mods, I’m done with this game.
So, what you are saying is that with SCS improving the game with FMOD, and makes sounds, well, sound like they're supposed to, you'll rage quit.
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
joschac2

#35 Post by joschac2 » 18 Jan 2020 04:55

Yep, basically what he is saying
Drive Safely

#36 Post by Drive Safely » 18 Jan 2020 05:54

So far I haven't found any games using FMOD that are Steam Workshop friendly for sound mods. Hopefully we'll get answers on how mod support will work
F4R35

#37 Post by F4R35 » 18 Jan 2020 08:20

What ? why eveyone is annoncing they'll quit the gamee bcz Fmod making sound mods obsolute ??

Sound mods are made to improve the current "unrealistic truck engine sounds" we have in the game , If Fmod will improve the sound of truck engines ,then why everyone is making it like a huge probem ?

Also sound mods are made for the game not the other way around , when we got the games at first there was no sound mod ,then the nice people on the modding community started to make mods and improve the expirience for everyone.

C'mon guys let's not make it like it's the end of the world whatsoever .
"Expectations are the thief of Joy"
bryntrollian

#38 Post by bryntrollian » 18 Jan 2020 08:41

If sound mods are gone and the truck engines still sound like garbage then they are free to leave, it isn't that big of a deal.
Leen

#39 Post by Leen » 18 Jan 2020 09:25

Let's wait and see what happens and maybe we all surprised about the new sound technology and sounds, we don't know yet so don't judge before you have seen and hear it all in practice.
mackintosh

#40 Post by mackintosh » 18 Jan 2020 10:16

ShirBlackspots wrote: 18 Jan 2020 04:24 So, what you are saying is that with SCS improving the game with FMOD, and makes sounds, well, sound like they're supposed to, you'll rage quit.
Yes, that is precisely what I’m saying. I’ve talked about this subject for many years in a lot of posts. I suppose I can talk about it again.
Sound makes up at least half of the simulation experience for me. I appreciate that a lot of people experience this game on potato speakers or “gaming” headphones and couldn’t care any less. Well, I do care and while I’m not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, I do have the hardware that lends itself to the enjoyment of subtleties in a sound mix.

Most games, especially simulators, have terrible sounds. Flight Simulator did. Train Simulator does, as does Farming Sim, just to name a few. All these games however made modding those sounds relatively easy, which allowed the community to supplement the developers’ laziness or ineptitude. Armstrong Powerhouse are a prime example of how a gifted sound engineer can literally transform the gaming experience.

Changing the sound engine, while obviously opening the game to a world of opportunity, will not magically make engine sounds better. That still falls to the people behind the console. Those people have time and time again proven that they are incapable of delivering a proper sound engine mix. How do we know this? We know this because members of our community have consistently delivered far better sounding mixes – and they have done this with the use of both professional recording equipment and by sampling YouTube videos. If a modder can deliver a better engine sound basing his work on a remix of SCS sounds and a YouTube video than a professional whose only job is to do the same thing, this leads me to believe that fmod or no fmod, the end product is still going to be deficient.

SCS are also lazy. They reuse sounds between trucks. Sounds that are completely different and very often specific to a given truck model or a manufacturer. I suspect this business will continue unabated simply due to development time constraints or other concerns. It is also very unlikely that SCS will deliver multiple engine varieties between truck models for the same reasons, with the added wrinkle of any approval and licensing issues that may also get in the way.

Modders do not have such constraints. They are free to make the sounds as accurate as their skills allow. They give us many engine types to choose from, allowing us to tailor our experience right down to a specific engine configuration. We will never get this granularity from SCS.

So yes, long story short – if fmod kills sound modding, I will no longer have an interest in this game going forward, because I do not trust the people involved are capable of delivering a proper sound mix, irrespective of sound engine used. At the end of the day, a lawnmower will still sound like a lawnmower, regardless of whether your window is open or not.

Return to “Modding Guides”