Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

Jonas_Tobii

Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

#1 Post by Jonas_Tobii » 12 Feb 2020 14:31

Hi everyone!

We've heard your feedback and the Tobii Settings are indeed quite overwhelming at first. We've released a video going through each setting and showing what the effect of each slider is.
You can find timestamps in the video description to jump to each setting. Hit the YouTube button in the bottom right corner which should be here ☝. But first you have to hit the play button, then to go to YouTube directly and see the video description with the timestamps over there.

We're also very curious to hear what your favorite settings are. Reply and help out your fellow eye tracker owners to find what works best for them.
Below you find all the default settings in the code tag. Copy that and make the settings you've changed red to make it easier to see.

Code: Select all

Extended View: On
Head Track Mode: Direct
Auto-Centre: Off
Enable Position (experimental): Off
Enable Roll (experimental): Off

Gaze View Responsiveness: 50%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 5.0
Gaze Exponent: 2.00
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.80
Gaze Start Point: 0.00 
Gaze End Point: 1.00
Maximal Gaze Angle: 25 degrees

Head View Responsiveness: 100%
Head Tracking Ratio: 7.5
Head Tracking Exponent: 1.00
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.51
Head Tracking Start Point: 0.02
Head Tracking End Point: 1.00
Yaw Multiplier: 1.00
Pitch Multiplier: 1.00

Auto-Pause: Disabled

Reset Head (Head tracking)
Pause Extended View (experimental)
Example:______________________________________________________________________________

I only changed these settings and now it's bonkers. ! 🚚💨

Monitor: 24" 16:9

Enable Position (experimental): Off
Enable Roll (experimental): Off

Gaze View Responsiveness: 50%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 5.0
Gaze Exponent: 2.00
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.80
Gaze End Point: 1.00
Maximal Gaze Angle: 25 degrees

Head Tracking Ratio: 8.0
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.70
Head Tracking Start Point: 0.02
Head Tracking End Point: 1.00
Pitch Multiplier: 1.00

Reset Head (Head tracking): Hotkey X 👉 This feature is really neat if I want to reset the head tracking
Pause Extended View (experimental): Hotkey X 👉 I couldn't survive without this feature. It's so nice just to toggle it off when I don't need it. Perfect when I'm streaming and looking over at chat

End of Example______________________________________________________________________________

Note your monitor size and aspect ratio can make the settings feel different from other users if they're not the same.

If you have any additional questions let me know and feel free to share your own settings. We would love to see what settings you prefer!
Jonas
Community Manager
Tobii Gaming

Tobii Support
Underscore_101_

Re: Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 13 Feb 2020 12:07

These are my current settings.
Haven't watched your video yet, will do in the weekend to come, so some of my settings may change a little if/when
my understanding of them is better :-)

General note about my settings, Prefer head tracking over gaze tracking, so the latter is set to low/slow settings.
Prefer my head tracking to stop at the end of the side windows, so settings prevent me from going too far and
suddenly looking behind me or outside when i don't want to :-)
Used to have Pitch Multiplier off, but slowly trying to get used to it, so it's a little up, Don't really need it for
playing the game, but for video it's nice to not just look left and right.

Been playing with these settings for a while now with maybe some little tweaks here and there.
My settings for ATS are slightly different due to the smaller (in width) cabs and/or mirrors being further away from the sitting position.

Monitor: 27" 16:9
Distance between my head and Tobii is about the max advised.

Enable Position (experimental): Off (tried it, needs improvements, not given it much thought yet)
Enable Roll (experimental): Off (tried it, needs improvements, not given it much thought yet)

Gaze View Responsiveness: 19%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 0.8
Gaze Exponent: 3.4
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.36
Gaze End Point: 0.25
Maximal Gaze Angle: 10 degrees

Head Tracking Ratio: 8.6
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.37
Head Tracking Start Point: 0
Head Tracking End Point: 0.87
Pitch Multiplier: 0.10 (still recommend this set to 0 when setting the Tobii 4c up for the first time.)

Reset Head (Head tracking): Don't need it
Pause Extended View (experimental): Don't need it
Tiger313

Re: Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

#3 Post by Tiger313 » 14 Mar 2021 07:14

With a large window facing South-West in my living room (where my computer is at), and wearing glasses, does this eye tracker thing even work? Last thing I want to do is spend my money on an eye tracker that can''t see my eyes. :S
Underscore_101_

#4 Post by Underscore_101_ » 14 Mar 2021 07:46

Edit 27-10-2021: just in case anyone reads this, the below findings are for their old drivers/software, with the new software/drivers the Tobii (4c) works perfect in just about any circumstances.
Can't compare it with similar devices as i don't have them, but atm i doubt there's anything that works better than this :-) </edit>

I have a large window on the south and have not encountered any problems of it effecting the tobii 4c, it seems to work fine in just about any type of light, i'm not sitting right next to the window though.
In winter when the sun is standing low throughout the day it shines straight through my living room, I live on the top floor of a flat.

However, I wear glasses as well, and have a whole range with different frames (small and medium size, thick and slim frames) and different types of glass (one focal type (dunno the english name for it), multifocal and different coatings), most of them also work fine with the tobii 4c, but I have one pair where it doesn't, which has medium size glasses with the thickest (and darkest) frame, when i wear those it keeps losing track of my head, not sure if it also loses track of my eyes as I have that set to a minimum.

Anyhoo, that's just my experience, doesn't have to be yours :-)
Last edited by Underscore_101_ on 27 Oct 2021 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger313

#5 Post by Tiger313 » 12 Apr 2021 19:14

Thank you, Underscore_101_. That's info I can work with. :)
rad1ka1

#6 Post by rad1ka1 » 02 Oct 2021 04:59

In 1.42 beta, there's a glitch right now where you can't scroll down fully in Controls setting screen, so you can't see/interact with the setting to turn on Tobii. If you want to turn on Tobii, you have to use console and set "g_eye_enable" to "1" manually in the game.

BTW Tobii recently had Head Tracking problem and now it's not working for older devices like 4C. If you are using Tobii 4C, you have to use newer beta application called Tobii Experience. If you are having this trouble like me, check this thread (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=281692&start=10#p1613404), and the official support article (Head tracking is no longer working for those using Tobii Core).

Return to “General discussion about the game”