General AI Discussion

Grizzly

Re: General AI Discussion

#171 Post by Grizzly » 21 Jul 2021 10:10

Yeah that's terrifying :lol:
PBandJ

#172 Post by PBandJ » 25 Jul 2021 18:26

Had been a while since I had done any driving in ETS2 but I did some today. Not once did I have an issue with AI stopping on a high speed highway to allow merging traffic out. Not once did I have both highway lanes come to a crawl to allow merging traffic out on the highway. I haven't driven all of ETS2 map of course in this short period of time, but what a big difference driving in ETS2 as far as AI merging on to highways goes. Like I said it had been a while since I drove in ETS2 but if this continues through more of the map, then there is no reason that ATS can't have the same experience SCS.....:)
Tristman

#173 Post by Tristman » 25 Jul 2021 19:02

I have lately had the same exact issue in ATS. Traffic on the interstate coming to a full stop to let traffic merge into the interstate.
It's very annoying and almost makes you just stick to the leftmost lane of the interstate (seeing as the AI doesn't use that one anyway).
Weaseloz

#174 Post by Weaseloz » 10 Aug 2021 19:36

For me, this is really the only big flaw in this game, the AI that breaks the immersion, it would be so nice for the developers to work on this subject.
ravensview

#175 Post by ravensview » 16 Aug 2021 15:57

I've been doing convoys with a friend in ATS, AI traffic merge onto freeways is definitely broken. Cars in the slow lane will often stop to let merging traffic in, sometimes merging traffic will just stop too in a deadlock, sometimes cars in fast lane will also stop dead. I get that they want to emulate the crazy drivers we see IRL, but this is way too much. I didn't see any bug reports on this.
Follow me on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/ravensview
nautofon

#176 Post by nautofon » 16 Aug 2021 16:59

^ This issue has been reported again and again. AFAIK it was never acknowledged by SCS in any way though. :(
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
GinXeng

#177 Post by GinXeng » 17 Aug 2021 02:08

Unfortunately I dont think SCS knows how to fix this issue, this is the AI they programed themselves which leads me to believe this is the best they can do (Judging by their older games, their AI has always been terrible) unless they find a programmer that can do a better job then them. An entire rewrite of the AI behavior would be the only way to fix this horrendous AI.
clifflandmark

#178 Post by clifflandmark » 17 Aug 2021 03:10

AI has disturbing moves, but it's not bad enough to cause AI to be made from zero.Also consider that some real drivers may act more senselessly than AI.

I can show the disturbing AI movements in the game as follows. It will be simpler to see on the figure than to explain.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

There are more disturbing things of AI traffic like stop in the middle of the road but personally, these 2 are the most disturbing ones.
MrAbner

#179 Post by MrAbner » 17 Aug 2021 04:33

What's even worse with the lane changing, is that the AI first slows down when moving into the passing lane to pass a slower vehicle.

And when the road divides from single lane to two-lane traffic — the AI truck first hits the brakes, then moves into the right lane, even if the speed limit increases in the two-lane section. Infuriating!

And it is possible that both of these are a result of that too-abrupt lane changing behaviour you point out in your first pic.
Reignman

#180 Post by Reignman » 08 Sep 2021 23:40

PBandJ wrote: 25 Jul 2021 18:26Had been a while since I had done any driving in ETS2 but I did some today. Not once did I have an issue with AI stopping on a high speed highway to allow merging traffic out.
After playing ATS the past few years, I started playing ETS2 last month and for whatever reason, this problem doesn't seem to happen as often in ETS2. I expected it to be worse because the highway ramps are gawd awful in ETS2, narrow lanes, guardrails everywhere, and the merge lanes are painfully short.

The AI in ETS2 seems more aggressive too. They zip in front of me more often and pass on 2 lane highways more often. They will stop for you and let you make a left hand turn however, so they're aggressive but polite lol. Overall I would say the AI is better in ETS2 than in ATS, but they still have their problems, like they keep smashing into my trailer at roundabouts lol. Maybe I'm doing something wrong idk.

The AI in both games are bad when it comes to sudden speed changes. Instead of gradually slowing down to meet the new speed, they brake hard at the change.
MrAbner wrote: 17 Aug 2021 04:33What's even worse with the lane changing, is that the AI first slows down when moving into the passing lane to pass a slower vehicle.
Yeah, they haven't figured out how to pass slow moving traffic yet in either game lol. They speed right up to the bumper, wait a few seconds, whip into the passing lane, maintain the slow speed for a few seconds, and then they finally accelerate past the slow traffic. They seem to love to wait for you to get there too, before they begin their pass, which makes you have to slow down and wait for them to hit that acceleration phase.

Return to “General discussion about the game”