General AI Discussion

Olsbyn

Re: General AI Discussion

#161 Post by Olsbyn » 17 Apr 2021 19:57

I'm just wondering, where is SCS staff in these threads, there is so little interaction from scs towards the community that it's scary, or maybe I'm just spoiled by companies that actually talks to their customers ?
The traffic issues has been an ongoing problem since I bought ETS2 in 2013, very little has changed in traffic behaviour and general AI behaviour since then.. we NEVER hear anything about the issues that plagues the games for years.
Honestly I would rather have proper, functioning AI than 2-3 paid dlc's every year.
Bedavd

#162 Post by Bedavd » 17 Apr 2021 20:15

SiSL, Max, Oscar, Truckerdog, Natvander, and I'm sure more are often in here and weighing in on things when they can. SCS has always been a bit secretive and they've only shared things with us when they've been absolutely ready to. Particularly since Carthoo left we haven't gotten much in the way of teasers for upcoming projects over here. I used to get so excited when the ATS teasers thread had a new post by Carthoo. They still talk to us when they can, for sure, but more often than not I think they're under orders not to share until they're absolutely ready to reveal something.

I agree that the AI is the most pressingly out-of-date element of ATS, but a lot of people see other problems as bigger issues, be it sound or AA or optimization or whatever. As much as I'd love 1.41 to fix all of those complaints, that just wont happen. All we can do is trust SCS to continue working on and improving what people bring up.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Cunwad

#163 Post by Cunwad » 19 Jul 2021 19:27

Hello,

I usually only run ATS on TMP because there are no AIs there. There I usually obey all traffic rules such as speed limits and stop signs, which by far not everyone does. However, human drivers react to you, usually make room when you drive onto the interstate, and usually react in a predictable way. There are a few trolls every now and then, but at least at ATS this is rather the exception.

Now I have installed version 1.41 in order to be able to take part in the Spuds event. I haven't installed any mods. So I start in Colo Springs, look for a WOT order to Idaho, drive carefully to the company and take my time parking until I am perfectly standing at the dock for loading. After that it gets dark and I decide to go to the rest area next door to stay the night. There is exactly one gap here for trucks to park, which is also close to the exit. Some cars come quickly, stop 20 feet from me in a flat angle because they supposedly wouldn't pass. In addition, horns are honored tirelessly. American drivers are known in Europe for not being particularly good at driving a car, but these in-game specimens can't get past a motorcycle on a multi-lane interstate.

The next morning I want to drive from the rest area onto the street when a car comes from the gas station and first drives me in the side. At the next intersection I am still a few feet away from the lane when the vehicles stop in both lanes coming from the left. That's nice, but also unrealistic. After all, there was no accident. Over the Rocky Mountains it was now on the I-70 in the direction of Utah. Since I don't have the most powerful engine, I crawl 45-50 mph up the hill while everyone else overtakes me. On the other hand, I drive back down at a steady 35 mph in accordance with the regulations, while on the other side the trucks only come up the mountain like I've never done before. After all, they don't seem to sneak as extreme as they have been for a long time. A truck is now driving in front of me at 64.5 mph that I cannot pass. At a driveway he hit the breaks hard without hazard lights and stops!!! I don't have a chance and I crash into it. Another truck was driving next to me at the time. The result is 10% damage to the truck and 1% damage to the cargo. He doesn't react in the least to horns. After I drive backwards, he escapes an accident and jets off. Shortly before the next driveway, a bus overtakes me, sits down in front of me and hits the breaks hard again. I am taken by surprise and push a few vehicles together. In both cases I was driving 65 mph. I now have 3% cargo damage and over 20% on the truck.

It's just not fun like that. In ETS, I have around one accident per job with an exemplary driving style, because someone pulls out in front of you and then almost stops or hits the brakes hard. But with ATS this is much more the case because of the higher speeds. I have now installed a no-AI-mod. The ATS world is boring and dry, but at least I get to my destination safely.

What I would wish for:
- That the AI ​​would drive with foresight, e.g. check whether there is an alternative route if the path in front of the AI ​​is blocked. So the AI ​​would pull over to the left lane on driveways and not only consider this after an emergency stop.
- That the AI ​​is allowed to leave its "track" in defined areas in order to avoid obstacles.

Greetings, Cunwad
Vinnie Terranova

#164 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Jul 2021 19:42

Instead of using a no-AI mod, you could try a no damage mod. This erratic behaviour of AI traffic is the one and only reason that I started creating mods. No Damage for ATS is one of them.
Freeze338

#165 Post by Freeze338 » 20 Jul 2021 05:19

It's funny because I have more problems with A.I. in ETS2 . No matter what I do, A.I. slams me around roundabouts. In ATS I rarely having an accident. In ETS2 I'll have 1 accident about 2-3 per job but in ATS that number reaches 10 sometimes.
Jatruck

#166 Post by Jatruck » 20 Jul 2021 09:51

Yeah, in ETS2 roundabouts problems (not respecting priorities) and trucks in parallel on highways are more frequent.
Grizzly

#167 Post by Grizzly » 20 Jul 2021 23:50

I don't get 2 lane roundabouts, you have vehicles turning right from the left lane and vehicles turning left from the right lane and it just seems like a recipe for creating accidents. We do have some in Australia but they're usually big enough that you have time to plan your escape but I still don't like them.
supersobes
Global moderator

#168 Post by supersobes » 21 Jul 2021 01:38

Are you talking about European roundabouts? Multilane roundabouts in the United States don't allow you to go right from the left lane or left form the right lane.
Grizzly

#169 Post by Grizzly » 21 Jul 2021 04:03

Yeah the Euro ones, the ones in the US make sense.
Jatruck

#170 Post by Jatruck » 21 Jul 2021 07:58

In Europe isn't allowed to go right from left lane as well, but some people voluntarily ignore the rules. ;)

[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”