Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#1061 Post by Shiva » 17 Oct 2021 12:21

What I seen, only in this thread there has been people talking about eliminating Carlsbad CA.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Tristman

#1062 Post by Tristman » 17 Oct 2021 14:30

What about Huron?
In-game it doesn't really seem like a town, but more like a name attached to an area. Irl it seems to be a village with not much to do there. It's also further away from the I-5, while in-game it's directly off the I-5.
Could it be made much better, or should it be replaced by another town in the vicinity?

@Shiva I also haven't seen much before about Carlsbad being removed, but I would be for it if it gives San Diego and Los Angeles more space to work with.
rbsanford

#1063 Post by rbsanford » 17 Oct 2021 17:30

I was thinking Coalinga would be better for that area, but in the San Joaquin Valley in general, I think we should have Modesto and maybe Visalia. And again, the produce industry in that area should really be expanded. You know how northeastern Utah is for oil? That's how the San Juaquin, Sacramento, and Salinas Valleys should be for produce: plenty of farms exporting vegetables, mostly lettuce and onions, which should be brought to processing/distribution centers in the area, from there brought to grocery wholesalers, and from there to stores.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
sw3gameboy

#1064 Post by sw3gameboy » 17 Oct 2021 20:06

Modesto could (and probably should) actually replace Oakdale, given the city's size and the presence of the largest wine bottle manufacturer in the world there. Atleast that's what Wikipedia says, though it does look rather massive on Google Maps:
[ external image ]
In either case it would be a shame to miss out on such a large (and unique) company with the Cali rebuild. And given that Oakdale on it's own has some interesting food processing plants it could still exist as a scenery town with it's companies linked to Modesto :geek:
I don't know about Visalia to be honest given that it's inclusion might impede on being able to flesh out Fresno and Bakersfield properly, even if it's of decent size. Coalinga would be a better representative than Huron for that region tho, I do agree that much on that.
LeGod7

#1065 Post by LeGod7 » 19 Oct 2021 10:52

Just completed a job from Eureka, CA to Eureka, NV (feel like that should come with an achievement called Eureka! lol). The drive along CA 299 is beautiful as is the rest of the rebuilt area, SCS have outdone themselves again.
Can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of California.
sw3gameboy

#1066 Post by sw3gameboy » 19 Oct 2021 19:47

Isn't Eureka, NV something that doesn't exist in ATS though, even as a scenery town? And considering what Eureka has (or doesn't), I don't know what would justify it's inclusion to be honest beyond perhaps an "Eureka" achievment and more places to go in a state that ideally should be as empty as it is in real life.

That being said, it did make me think of the surrounding region. What if Pioche was replaced with Caliente? The latter is, for one, larger than Pioche, and secondly has currently existing industries that can be utilized in the game (the farming region to the northeast) rather than the mine that's supposed to reflect Pioche's defunct silver mining. Perhaps one could include Caliente in a similar fashion to how Tonopah is currently represented ingame, with the town centre solely consisting of services and the sole company being located outside.
LeGod7

#1067 Post by LeGod7 » 19 Oct 2021 21:19

Yeah my bad, I have the Reforma mod installed and I forgot it's not in the vanilla game.
flight50

#1068 Post by flight50 » 20 Oct 2021 00:22

Paneaca could actually work better than Caliente and Pioche. There is a weigh station, several green farming fields, 3 places for livestock and Shell gas station. That's for active depots that we could access. I'm really hoping that the roads can get realigned a bit better with a reskin for Nevada. It has potential to be one of my favorite states actually. With the way SCS maps now, the barren lands / mountainous region would look awesome with newer landscaping models of today.
rbsanford

#1069 Post by rbsanford » 20 Oct 2021 02:58

The roads are also more interesting IRL than is currently shown in the game, or figured at first glance. US 50, the Loneliest Road in America, is especially scenic (well, by Nevada standards), with lots of summits (Austin Summit is my favorite, I really wouldn't mind having that in the game). I'd love to see Nevada brought up to current standards, with better mountain models, more accurate towns, and better-modeled mines. With the state done more justice, I could see it going from arguably the least-liked state in the game to a much more celebrated one.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
sw3gameboy

#1070 Post by sw3gameboy » 20 Oct 2021 12:18

flight50 wrote: 20 Oct 2021 00:22 Paneaca could actually work better than Caliente and Pioche. There is a weigh station, several green farming fields, 3 places for livestock and Shell gas station. That's for active depots that we could access.
Makes sense. The farms have a stronger presence there than in Caliente, not to mention the weigh station. I am however curious about whatever this is (in Caliente):
[ external image ]
Ignoring the Thomas Petroleum thing, which looks like a small fuel supplier/storage facility, I guess the remaining region is supposed to be a construction site of some kind, maybe rail-related like the new rail construction company seen in the Wyoming DLC? In any case, I figured it was worth a mention.

Return to “General discussion about the game”