Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#1141 Post by Tristman » 18 Nov 2021 15:02

I'd rather they just take their time (over the course of several years) to fully rework the base map. Other than outdated textures and highway ramps that are too short, the layout of the three states is just lacking in comparison to newer DLC. They were built with 1:35 in mind, not 1:20. And though they did add content with the rescale of the map, the foundations remained the same.

Some towns (Hilt and Ehrenberg for example) only really serve to have a marked town at the outer edge of what was then the full map. They could now be replaced by different towns that are more relevant to trucking, or have more to show scenery-wise. Hornbrook being renamed to Hilt unfortunately is a sign that it will not be replaced, but Ehrenberg, Oakdale, Primm and Carlsbad CA could still get the boot.

A rework also grants the opportunity to add new industries, replace old prefabs with newer ones, and to add more roads or replace existing roads with better alternatives.
Phase 1 in my opinion was a nice demonstration of how much better the roads can look, but we will have to wait and see just how willing SCS is to really change the cities around.
nautofon

#1142 Post by nautofon » 18 Nov 2021 16:06

One of the most important arguments for a rebuild of the base map is the ATS demo version. That's a big part of attracting new customers that will pay for future DLCs, so my guess is that investing in an updated/reworked base map is totally worth it in the long run.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
flight50

#1143 Post by flight50 » 18 Nov 2021 16:26

@Sara,these two... @Tristam-94 and @nautofon said it all. There is a lot more work to be done in the base map than what you are thinking. It easy to see if you go from lets say Wyoming/Colorado and then drive in California and Nevada. The same can be said if you go to Utah and Idaho and then go to California. Utah is the dlc that took a step in the right direction for rock formations. That was the huge leap there for landscaping. Note the mountains in California then check out anything after Utah. Night and day difference. Textures, assets and attention to detail all elevated with paid dlc's.

Now also note that all the companies that came with and after Oregon. Its quite a few. California, Nevada and Arizona would all require overhauls to implement those newer companies. Also, since California is w.i.p, that means that anything for Texas and Montana could be used there as well. Once Nevada and Arizona are up, there will be more things that can be for them with never dlc's going on at the same time as well.

Most of the community would agree that California can almost be rebuilt from scratch though. SCS should at least redo 80% of it minimum. Its not on par with paid dlc's. Nevada, same boat but luckily its less dense. The backgrounds/terrains SCS is doing now is what makes ATS what it is. Nobody is in awe with California or praising it, except the new parts in the North. If you played ATS in 2016, you wouldn't even think the new parts of California are even in California. So like nautofon is saying, think beyond us the current players. If ATS is going to even get remotely close to having the fan base of ETS2, that demo/base map needs to improve. No one wants to go from a Lamborghini to a Pinto, lol. But its a night and day difference from base map to now. Butttt you are entitled to your opinion. But most of the community won't side with ya ;).

Arizona is the one that doesn't need a complete redo. That I can admit to. I'd say only 40-50% of it needs to be updated. Arizona is okay going to NM standards at least.
Last edited by flight50 on 19 Nov 2021 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
angrybirdseller

#1144 Post by angrybirdseller » 19 Nov 2021 06:45

Good thing New Mexico they made ton of assets easily usable in Arizona. If Arizona like New Mexico qaulity I am fine with. Think California be most difficult re-work and Arizona the easiest.

Ehernberg-tricky one I think Quartzsite can slove this problem town with old folks living in RV need pharmacy or groceries 🤔 can deliver food and 💊 to.

Also, AZ-95 right near water and alots of bigbox stores and marinas along the route you can tie Ehernburg too.
flight50

#1145 Post by flight50 » 19 Nov 2021 11:18

I can agree with California being the toughest to rebuild across the board. Assets to create based off longer trailer combinations, road networks, truck stops, city updates and more industries all come into play. The game has advanced a lot since the basemap days and California benefits the least since it’s the oldest.

Arizona benefits from NM, Utah and Texas assets. If anything new comes for California, throw that into Arizona as well. California has a great shot at being one of the best states if SCS reworks the majority of the state and in the right spots. Add some depth with new roads and missing cities.
interstate trav

#1146 Post by interstate trav » 19 Nov 2021 22:00

Yeah California with all the different scenery all the interchanges in Los Angeles and if the scenery along the 15 reflects the actual one and based on what the rebuilt part of the 5 looks like I am excited. Also adding more routes as it is very dense, it needs that feeling and it will be like Texas large and big cities and the coast and desert and Mountains.
flight50

#1147 Post by flight50 » 19 Nov 2021 23:39

The biggest issue with California is that its long and slender. So there is only so much they can do. Cutplains and the terrain is going to have to be their best friend for this rebuild. CA-1, US-101, I-5 and CA-99 all run parallel. If California gets rebuild with a huge focus on Agriculture, I-5 and CA-99 needs some good space. I'd cheat those two roads East. I'd push I-5 a tad close to where CA-99 is not and I'd push CA-99 closer to all the forest. Those mountains models will hide a ton from Nevada. They should still have space to squeeze in US-395 and and US-95 on the back side of all the Eastern California scenery.

The other thing is to push CA-1 out to the coast...put it in the water, literally. No one cares if the map is off if they can gain more space in the game itself to add much needed attention. That then gives the US-101 space from I-5. To me that translates to a more spacious Bay Area. A more spacious central California with Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, Sacramento and add Modesto. Push Modesto South to give Stockton some space though. I'd push Modesto closer to where Merced is. That still gives Fresno space. There are areas in California that I have high hopes for though. The I-5 and CA-99 corridor, Sacramento incorporating US-50 and CA-99, the Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Diego. Nail those down and California will definitely be relevant again. Its just so far from paid dlc quality that its showing its age for sure.

The economy for California needs that overhaul for sure. Too much has been added/upgraded since then. The upgrade trickles over to the other non paid maps as well. All in all, the base map won't be avoided much longer as parts of the map upgrade. I hope San Diego is reconstructed to the point that Tijuana and Mexicali can take off running one day without having to reconstruct San Diego. Southern Cali should be a very compact region for the ATS economy. Then up the road is Phoenix. It can use some love to be on par with Portland, Seattle and Denver. Its not as bad as California but the road network thru Phoenix needs that Vegas redo. Curves are too sharp and several of the roads are misaligned and not accurate. If we can get all the base map up to speed by 2025, I'd be cool. SCS will need to keep pushing forward East with paid dlc's so I wouldn't expect a huge team placed on the rebuild. Not with such a large portion of the map being free. Honestly, I wouldn't put more than 5-7 people on rebuilding the base map if its all phased. Why 5-7? Because that is how many started the entire ATS project..iirc. Dedicating more than that and paid dlc's suffer are short people. We fund the base map rebuild with paid content, not more free stuff. Base map in phases for ATS is no different than what's going in phases in ETS2's rebuild process.
interstate trav

#1148 Post by interstate trav » 20 Nov 2021 03:27

I do agree with your idea for moving the routes, and I think it will work because the San Joaquin Valley can be cheated a little as it’s huge. North of Sacramento is pretty rural aside from Redding, and the Bay Area like Los Angeles if they can get the 101-80 interchange accurate will massively improve it.

Los Angeles will be tricky because it has so many freeways, but I think they can realign some and atleast have the 101-5-10-60 interchange. The 5-14 jct is a must along with the 14 as a freeway, and the 15 between Barstow and Nevada has plenty of space for Baker and the Baker Grade and dropping to Primm, and if they shrink Barstow so it’s not so big it will add to that as well. The 40 could use a couple of exits so it’s more realistic.
I think the 10 will be challenging to fit San Bernardino and Palm Springs but I think it can be don’t, they need to eliminate the current 74, as it’s not accurate at all.
leo.arevalo12ss

#1149 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 20 Nov 2021 04:06

If you want to boost the realism of highway 99 and 58, make sure it's got a ton of road work going on
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
Sara

#1150 Post by Sara » 20 Nov 2021 04:13

@flight50 Oh ok. I didn't realize that the map was originally a different scale for California, so yeah. Thanks for clarifying that with me.

Return to “General discussion about the game”