Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#881 Post by Shiva » 28 Jun 2021 06:16

I too wish that Mexico would have been w/o SN.
But in my case, I would have kept the Mexico part. Preferring SCS's USA unmodded.
Will be interesting what 1.42 might contain in the future.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Bandit & The Snowman

#882 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 28 Jun 2021 06:40

Since NV actually belongs to the base map theoretically they could continue the rebuild towards the east before doing another part of CA but honestly I believe they’ll finish all of California before they switch states. Who knows at what speed they can work on the rebuild job anyway, if you remember Germany@ETS2 it took several updates more to finish it.
flight50

#883 Post by flight50 » 28 Jun 2021 15:14

The biggest issue is how many are working California and how many will come to California. At current pace, its a 2023 completion for me. As a 5-6 man/woman team, maybe Winter 2022 at best. The original ATS team back in what 2013-2014 was 5-7 people total and it took them 3-4 years to do California, Nevada and Arizona. Now times are different and things are much much more detailed. So it could take a solid 2 years or so just for one state.

I doubt the base map rebuild team would equal the same size of a paid dlc team but I could be wrong. I don't think that is what they did with Germany which is why it was phased because it was a small team doing it with MandelSoft. MandelSoft even started it solo until he realized it was just too much for just him. I expect the entire base map to be on phases and perhaps 1.5-2 years a piece to complete them. California being the most time consuming. Nevada being similar and the Arizona only needing 50-60% of it redone. California and Nevada could go for 80% or more redone.

I think they will focus on one state at a time. Get California done first. Nowwwww on the flip side of that... and again it depends on number or mappers joining.....they could have one person branch off to rebuild I-80 from San Francisco to Wells, Nv to where the Utah dlc picks up. Well actually extend rework to W. Wendover. Rework West Wendover to what I mentioned here viewtopic.php?p=1561760#p1561760. That sets all of I-80 in place as a major corridor that it truly is in real life. We have Vegas and all of Utah for I-15 so technically, no need to jump the gun there. Plus that is was down in the South and they are not even there yet. But an expedited I-80 can do a lot for ATS with Wyoming coming. We have a good Utah. San Francisco to Truckee puts an ugly quality gap between California and Utah. If one person works I-80 that makes the entire Northern portion of California and Nevada updated.....kinda. US-395 North of I-80 in Nevada needs work. Only NV-140 is up to par as it was added for Oregon.

So if they still don't have a city builder available for the rebuild project, I'd love to get one person locked it for I-80 and bring the entire thing up to par. That does a few things:
1) pumps people up and get them excited about returning one of the base map roads
2) encourages people to purchase Wyoming and Utah
3) North and South size, its the middle and most important interstate on the grid. With Wyoming, it ties in I-15, I-25, and I-84.
oldmanclippy

#884 Post by oldmanclippy » 29 Jun 2021 17:12

Yes I have come around to thinking that I-80 in Nevada should be part of this rework, not just the part in California. San Francisco to Cheyenne will be very uneven quality wise. Making it more consistent in terms of quality will be a huge boon to Utah, Wyoming, and northern Colorado, not to mention Nebraska and Kansas when they come.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#885 Post by flight50 » 29 Jun 2021 17:50

I think by the time Kansas and/or Nebraska comes, they should be on Nevada anyways. After Wyoming is done there is only Western Montana left for rocky terrains in mass like the mountainous states. Texas is w.i.p. so Western Texas is getting work. We don't know where the good landscapers are but they could easily go to California, Nevada and Arizona to benefit from their skill and bring up the quality level of terrain to what we current get now detail wise. Expedite I-80 would give us a gorgeous run to Cheyenne hands down. There is Reno, Winnemucca and Elko only to skip. Small scenic towns can come and be built by a road only upgrade. Its the marked cities that need more time so skip them for now.

So East of Sacramento to Reno should be part of the California rebuild regardless. This is only 119 miles of road. That then leaves the rest of I-80 to rework. Now West Wendover to Reno is much much longer at 391 miles. That's a lot of road and could take one mapper roughly 6 months or so if they exclude those 3 marked cities. I think its valid to redo I-80 for Wyoming purposes before going South of I-80 in California. But again, depends on how many are rebuilding the base map to begin with.

The other roads in Nevada can be pushed. If we truly are getting US-50 from Carson City to Sacramento, that could be the only other road to expedite. But its only valid once Sacramento gets rebuilt. So do US-50 to Carson then all at once. Adjust Carson City at that time along with Sacramento and go at it. Beyond this, Nevada can wait until more California is in place and/or until more help arrives. I think after Texas releases, more people will get reassigned to the rebuild efforts. After Texas, Montana and Oklahoma gets my vote. So people will be there to help push the base map as well as still get two maps a year until they are ready to take on 3 a year. I'm cool with 2 maps for another 2-3 years. The states gets smaller so production time should be under a year for sure.
harishw8r

#886 Post by harishw8r » 29 Jun 2021 18:15

Speaking of Interstate 80, the entire interstate (whatever we have in the game) have to be reworked IMO. Upto the Jackpot junction would be of base game quality, then comes the weird positioning of Wendover, that should somehow give more of the salt flats, that leads us to Salt Lake City which has inaccurate elevation and that’s pretty much all of the road in the game.
oldmanclippy

#887 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jun 2021 13:41

That is a good point @flight50 that I didn't think of: once Montana is done, where do all the best landscapers go? Outside of limited areas in the great plains states, their skills will be far less in demand, so back to the base map (or the Western Balkans) is the logical place for them to go. That's good news for Nevada and Arizona, which desperately need the updated rock formation and landscaping developments that SCS has made over the years.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#888 Post by flight50 » 30 Jun 2021 15:16

The map teams don't mix teams. The landscapers for ATS will stay with ATS. They won't go over to ETS2 to my knowledge. I think there will always be a place for them though in ATS. They can map regular roads too but they are great at mountainous scenes so I'd keep them there as much as possible. Here is what I'd do with them:

1) Texas/Montana...wrap those areas up
2) base map. California, Nevada and Arizona will keep them busy for at least 2-3 years perhaps
3) sweep thru the paid dlc's. Utah, Idaho. Fix things there if not fixed by then
4) sweep thru the last parts of other paid dlc's. One wish I have is for Big Bend Texas area. I don't think we get it for Texas. Not a lot for trucking but Presidio, Texas could be worth the add along with Big Bend just to get more mountains in Texas
5) Adrian with ProMods approach. Adrian was doing is own side project in Canada separate from the rest of ProMods. What if the great landscapers jumped ahead....Eastern Oklahoma, Ozarks in Arkansas, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and many others. These areas on the map can slide around in the map editor and once the full production team is ready, adjust as necessary. Just like the rescale split things up, jumping ahead is also adjustable
6) If they finish all this.....let them jump to the mountainous areas in Canada and Mexico. This would be a huge jump. I don't think the mapping methods would be drastically different 5+ years from now with the mountains. That would make all the current mountains look like the base map mountains now. I think the mountain standard is nail down.

Keep your great landscapers involved so that they don't get bored. Cater to their strengths. They can be keep busy for the next 7+ years easily if SCS plans ahead.
Tristman

#889 Post by Tristman » 30 Jun 2021 17:12

With the job Promods is doing on Canada and Reforma is doing on Mexico, I'm honestly not excited for SCS to do either country. I hope they will focus on making all of the United States before going across the border.
Shiva

#890 Post by Shiva » 30 Jun 2021 17:14

Non mountainous landscapes require skills too. That is my opinion.
SCS would bring more assets, Tristam-94. And if people want to use mods, instead of SCS's for those, that would be their decision.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”