Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

busted85

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#371 Post by busted85 » 27 Mar 2021 05:14

So maybe Northern Cal when Wyoming release and Southern with Texas that wouldn't too bad!
flight50

#372 Post by flight50 » 27 Mar 2021 10:53

Bedavd wrote: 27 Mar 2021 04:25 Lol at first I thought to myself "2022? That's so far away there's no way it'll take that long!" and then I remembered that's only 9 months away... I think since we're only getting NorCal outside of cities it'll likely come in 4 phases. NorCal/SoCal & Roads/Cities. So end of 2022, beginning of 2023 seems reasonable enough to me.
Yeah, notice MT269 said full rebuild though. I kinda agree with him. It definitely won't be happening this year. We don't know how they will phase it out but at first I was thinking North to South incrementally doing everything along the way until complete. But if they are avoiding cities, it could be several passes thru the state like you mention. North to South doing roads and terrain....then North to South doing the cities. I'm not sure which way I'd prefer but what ever is easier for the devs, I'm in support of. As long as it gets done, I'm cool.

Roads and terrains first pass seems like the most logical until Texas is out. Some experience is tied into that project I am sure. We'll need the best city builders from Texas in California. Since Texa is a paid dlc, you can't really get upset because its priority. Afterall, they are doing this rebuild free of charge and before Texas is out. I always thought a rebuild would be after Texas anyways. Either way, I applaud the effort.

@busted85 It might even take longer than that. Honestly I think the rebuild will not be completed until after Texas. Worst case, Texas release just this time next year just like Iberia is now. Northern, Central and Southern California more than likely will not all be done by next April. The best way to look at the base map rebuilds is like a new dlc. Whether they are completely rebuilding them or redoing like 50-75%, it will all still take time. Imho, All the terrains and backgrounds in the base map states need to go. That is probably the easiest to fix. The roads, vegetation and building will be tougher as you have to fill all that stuff back in if you revamp it all. I don't think the vegetation along the roads are terrible. Some new models here and there but its not too bad to me. But I also don't know the local vegetation. The roads, I don't think all of it is terrible. At least 50-75% there can get replaced. Smooth them out, new textures, add new roads, replace the inaccurate interchanges, remove the bad junctions, add proper banking and we good.

Nevada will be the easiest to redo. Its mostly terrain upgrades but man what a huge difference the terrain will make in Nevada. It can easily become one of my favorite states again with then modeling techniques of today. I look forward to Nevada. Then we have Arizona which is a mix of both California and Nevada. Mostly terrain there too. But junctions, interchanges and some road adjustments, realignments there are necessary. With all 3 states, improved rest stops, truck stops, junction and interchanges are really game changers. I'd imagine the entire rebuild coud last 3-4 years. So that puts us in 2024-2025, ATS could have these in place by then is my speculation. That's 13 extra states from today (right now) in addition to what we have right now. That 13 would get us 22 total states by end of 2025. The map could look like this:

[ external image ]
rbsanford

#373 Post by rbsanford » 27 Mar 2021 15:39

A redone Nevada might seem low-priority to a lot of people, or even unnecessary, because I can imagine people thinking "Nevada is just boring desert, and that's what's already in the game, so why make it interesting when it isn't?" There are actually a lot of interesting features in Nevada that SCS overlooked, like the fact that Caliente (Mazany Creek in-game) is actually in a canyon that US 93 passes through; Austin is very rustic and prominent over the road, and US 50 just to the east of it crosses the mountains over a twisty pass; and part of NV 305 goes through a nice little canyon, to name a few examples. The roads in the game are definitely worth a closer survey with GMaps.

I hope that whoever did NV 140 gets put on the team if rural Nevada roads are reworked. Whoever did that could have just lined the road with generic, albeit high quality, mountains, but actually represented the actual mountain ranges pretty closely. That's not something most people would catch, but it's great attention to detail.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
hangman005

#374 Post by hangman005 » 27 Mar 2021 16:57

I mean aside from I-80 Nevada at least is still fairly drivable. I do hope when they redo NV US95 is extended. was kind hoping Wells would have got a rework and better on/off ramps with ID, but alas was not to be.
ATS HQ: Las Vegas, NV
ETS HQ: Innsbruck, Austria
Promods Euro HQ: Reykjavik, Iceland
Tristman

#375 Post by Tristman » 27 Mar 2021 17:01

I agree, Nevada doesn't need a lot of work, but a little bit of love would be nice. Better textures, more scenery towns, maybe a bit of work on the Carson City area.

The location of Austin is great, it always gave me that feeling of an oasis in the middle of the desert. I hope it could be upgraded to modern scenic town standards.
flight50

#376 Post by flight50 » 28 Mar 2021 00:37

I totally disagree. Nevada needs to be redone just like California. Nevada is 85-90% terrain/landscaping and guess what, its horrible. Compared to Utah, Nevada needs the update. The mountains, most of them should be replaced. The texture and the contrast on most terrain models is too 2010. The same horrible calif hills 2 mountain model that plagues California and Arizona is all over Nevada. It's horrible. All the on/off ramps can go. The truck stops and rest stops outside of Vegas is no good an none existent. Tonapah is good. They rebuilt that. US-50 is misaligned. Carson City is in the wrong place. US-50 doesn't even go West to Sacramento. US-580 @ US-395 is totally off. US-95 coming into Vegas is off trajectory. Primm elevation is off. Winnemucca is bad and inaccurate. Wendover is too far East and its in Utah when it should be pushed West and in Nevada.....not Utah. That would give us a longer Salt Flatts. Re-align US-93Alt and you get W. Wendover where it should be. US-95 is missing around Reno/Carson. Around the lake, that road is actually NV-28, not US-50. Totally wrong. The vegetation in Nevada is okay, its not too bad. The road layout is somewhat okay just badly implemented. Sierra Nevada made Nevada GREAT. Reforma seriously brought justice to Nevada and made it much better than what it currently is. Well SN is a mod and they have taken steps that many people do not like. SCS should make changes in vanilla Nevada period. Shouldn't even be questioned imho.

I'm actually more excited about Nevada getting a make over than California. California will be okay. I know justice will come to it. But Nevada, needs help to be on par with current dlc's. I'm not so sure just textures will fix Nevada. The terrain has no dept and needs those new rock formation models. I love mountains and the landscapes in Nevada lets you see all that. Sparse populated and no vegetation to cover up the mountains. You see it all. The new rock tools should 100% come to Nevada. What they did around Vegas, the terrain looks great. You know you left Vegas the moment you look at the terrain. UT-56 to NV-319, that road looks awesome. Nevada does need a lot more work than its given credit for. So I totally disagree with anyone saying it doesn't need the make over just as bad as California. Play Sierra Nevada and you'll see what the vanilla Nevada needs help. Nevada is behind just like California. If Nevada was to New Mexico quality, I'd agree but its in no way shape or form does Nevada compare to current mapping standards.
supersobes
Global moderator

#377 Post by supersobes » 28 Mar 2021 01:24

I do think I-80 in Nevada is in need of some reworking. With Wyoming coming and the rebuilds in Northern California, the stretch of I-80 in Nevada will be the preferable route between the two. It's also a major truck corridor, so it would be nice to have it updated to current mapping standards.

I-80 is in Northern Nevada, which works because I think SCS should wait on doing any more reworks in Southern Nevada. The reason being is that construction on Interstate 11 is scheduled to start ramping up in the next few years. I-515 in Las Vegas will be resigned as I-11, and then it will continue north out of the city along US-95. It will go up to Carson City to I-580, which will also be resigned as I-11. I-11 will then connect with I-80 in Reno/Sparks where the current northern terminus of I-580 is. Seeing as it's likely that this will be done within this decade, I think SCS should wait to touch that area so that we can get the new Interstate when it opens.
angrybirdseller

#378 Post by angrybirdseller » 28 Mar 2021 01:39

Nevada needs ton of work as Elko and Wennemucca layout way off the roads and prefabs are from date of game release. I-80 in Nevada can be easily reskin and improved alot. Nevada is rebuild Arizona is furthest along still will end up reskinned little bit.

It will take couple years to reskin the basemap.
MT269

#379 Post by MT269 » 28 Mar 2021 03:28

Actually, you're looking at twice the traditional development time of a map DLC, for a rebuild. I don't think it's high priority, and hence the delays. A UK rebuild will take at least 18 months to 2 years, with an Ireland expansion hogging at least 3 months.

If the current DLCs were released at the pace of rebuilds, then it'd be one addon per 18 months at the most. I think SCS need to expand their rebuild team as soon as money permits.
hangman005

#380 Post by hangman005 » 29 Mar 2021 05:25

I do agree that Nevada is not close to being up to standard, I think for me the most pressing issue the entire I-80 corridor. I mean personally the order I would have done things was I-80 NV, or Northern Nevada, but seeing as they have started with Norcal I like to see it done down to and including I-80 excluding the Bay Area. I would then rework Northern Nevada the I-80 Corridor and down to Carson City in West... Ely can wait a bit a longer. Then I would complete the rest of CA 1-80 South down to the hills just north of LA. Texas should be done by the point. Leave a couple of people to complete US 93 and 95 in NV Especially having 95 run righ through and improving the states interior US 50 and Ely. So work can begein on either the Bay area rebuild or the LA/SD rebuld, I'd probably do LA first because at least San Fran still somewhat feels like San Fran. Either way can't see what they have done so far in NorCal
ATS HQ: Las Vegas, NV
ETS HQ: Innsbruck, Austria
Promods Euro HQ: Reykjavik, Iceland

Return to “General discussion about the game”