Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

rbsanford

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#1011 Post by rbsanford » 25 Sep 2021 15:35

Yeah, many buttes in Monument Valley date back to Arizona's release. It'd be great if they were improved to actually seem like the 1000 foot tall sandstone buttes they are. I know they're far from the road and supposed to be LOD models, but the very iconic Mittens and Merrick Butte especially look kind of sad. I'd love to see them all brought to the standard of the newer Brighams Tomb.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#1012 Post by flight50 » 25 Sep 2021 16:00

@raskol Monument Valley needs to go here if you want improvements unless your post are images in Arizona. viewtopic.php?p=1025736#p1025736
Oscar de Wyldde

#1013 Post by Oscar de Wyldde » 29 Sep 2021 01:51

I wish to muddy the waters. SCS are not good at representing urban sprawl but they are improving. The scale chosen limits their modelling of urban settings. SCS will not entertain the idea of changing the map scale. A compromise would be to change the map scale like Rand McNally and others publishers do in their road atlas books. In the virtual reality world of a computer there could be changes in map scale and corresponding game time at the boundaries between countryside and these large urban centres. This would enable a better representation of the greater Los Angeles area in such areas as Long Beach, Ontario, CA, and Irvine. It would be nice to have the truck stops at Ontario, CA represented and the interchange of the I-10 and I-15 could be corrected so that the I-15 overflies the I-10. Is this feasible?
nautofon

#1014 Post by nautofon » 29 Sep 2021 16:53

^ Not in the way Rand McNally does it, no. That would mean a loading screen once you enter an area of a different scale. The loading screen is the equivalent of a page turn in the map book.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Oscar de Wyldde

#1015 Post by Oscar de Wyldde » 30 Sep 2021 03:41

Oh Good! A philosophical argument. Question: how do you know the scale of the size of the truck matches the map scale size? How do you know that the roadways leading into the interstates are to scale? A problem of the original map was the shortness of these roads compared to real life situations. By lengthening the roads leading into interstates you make them much longer than the scale dictates. Compare the size of Casper, WA in the map with Los Angeles. We can easily trick our eyes with visual cues. The problem comes when you want to represent the virtual world of the map and you have to hide the inconsistencies in scaling. The problem of representing megacities of Dallas-Fort Worth or LA is that they seem small compared to real life because the limitations of the scale used. I am suggesting virtual reality change as you enter a megacity area. Time changes and the scale of virtual world correspondingly changes. Of course the problem comes in creating the map which shows these conflicting scales. Maybe, the solution is that the map zooms in, in the megacity area. In a virtual world, anything is possible to trick the user. For example, how long does it take you to get your truck up to cruising speed in the game distance and time? We accept it even though it is unrealistic.
nautofon

#1016 Post by nautofon » 30 Sep 2021 06:57

Possible? Sure. Feasible? No.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
flight50

#1017 Post by flight50 » 06 Oct 2021 15:21

Once SCS gets into the cities for reskining, I wonder what are our chances to finally get Ikea. Start with California. All we need is like 2-3. Bring one to Vegas with Nevada upgrades and then Phoenix. If Ikea is added as a base map company, Ikea can go anywhere. At that point, spread it out to other states. Salt Lake, Denver, Portland, Seattle....3 in Texas but we can get at least 2 perhaps. But Ikea where it fits or flat out replace something that is in its spot. Ikea would be a great add to ATS.

[ external image ]

Per the May 20th blog, the base map is suppose to being getting a new economy. I don't see why several new companies can't come with the base map. Start there. Newcomers see it off the bat. Anything new can be those national companies that are desperately missing in ATS. Lowes, Sam's, Costco, Albertson's, Kroger, Lowes, Kohl's, Target, Dillard's, Amazon, FedEd, CarMax, Forterra, Catepillar, Coke Cola, Pepsi, Frito Lay, JB Hunt, Swift, Yellow, Proctor Gamble, Sysco, US Foods, Tyson, Kraft, DuPont, Kimberly Clark ....there's a ton of them worthy of ATS gameplay that are spread out thru the US. I could give a solid 30 depots or more. Or just look at the link for some of the largest companies that can apply to ATS. I know we won't get all that but some diversity is needed. If we could get even 15%-20% of that list, that would work well for ATS imho. If ATS got only got 100 total companies and 20% equaling 20 companies as national, that is somewhat feasible. If ATS got 200 total companies, and 20% are national, that is now 40 companies nationally. That is more ideal. I really don't think that is too much to ask for with 48 total states. Make these prefabs and slowly replace things just like SCS is going back and adding a lot of these new restaurant that Annie is making. Thin out all these repeats companies by adding company diversity. This in turn slowly adds new cargo as well.

[ external image ]
Bedavd

#1018 Post by Bedavd » 06 Oct 2021 17:31

@flight50

I put this together a while ago of how Ikeas are placed in existing cities. Hopefully some/all of these get some attention.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
rbsanford

#1019 Post by rbsanford » 06 Oct 2021 17:36

I've been wondering: if IKA Bohag is coming to the US, will it keep its name? "Bohag" is Swedish for "household goods," so will that stay the same, or will ATS have IKA Home Goods or so? Just a small aspect of the IKEA question. I could see IKA getting added with Texas, with stores in Houston, Austin or San Antonio, and Dallas, but it would certainly be welcome in the New California Republic.

Produce wholesalers and distributors will be a must in CA. I've been working in a produce department, and most of our vegetables come from there. Additionally, we should have grocery wholesalers/distributors, to act as middlemen between farms, produce distributors, slaughterhouses, processing plants, bottlers, dairy processors, and grocery stores. The only thing we would need after that is multi-stop deliveries between grocery stores, dropping off the empty trailer back at the distributor.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#1020 Post by flight50 » 06 Oct 2021 19:38

@Bedavd yeah I did something in regards to locations around here somewhere awhile back. Your post is much better. With some reworks, I think Ikea can come to quite a few places. For maps not in yet, obviously it can be designed for Ikea from the beginning vs making it fit in an existing map.

@rbsanford I like IKA Home Goods. That name sticks. California definitely needs some fresh meat though. All the base map companies are over used and most still have a heavy presence all over the map. Freshen up the base map to pump more energy into it. Get people going back to the base map. California has the number one economy so many industries and it needs to feel like it. Farms, grocery stores, processing and distributors for sure. If California can add a good 5-6 new companies, I'd be content. But it needs to be companies that are all over the US if they intend to be national. Otherwise its regional company adds. Ones that can swap out some Wallberts or other over used prefabs would be nice. The company diversity in ATS needs a big boost and it starts with the base map.

Its been said that its hard to go back and add companies to existing areas. Well if the companies start with the base map.....just like the over used ones now, I don't see the issue with swapping out old overused depots for newer ones over time if the blog even stated an updated economy and new depots is coming. I sure hope new depots just doesn't mean a newer updated prefab for existing companies. That doesn't change the company diversity. That's just making prefabs to fit the trailer combinations of today's ATS.

Return to “General discussion about the game”