Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#471 Post by Shiva » 08 May 2021 11:53

The Hornbrook Inspection Station is at 3:57 in the video.
seriousmods, regarding the too close to road mountains? Sadly the game scale.
I do rather want to keep the I-5's Klamant River crossing ingame. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8615882 ... a=!3m1!1e3

flight50, the rework could maybe come in more than 5 phases/patches too? Both your A and B theories, would be very nice tho.
And Barstow rework? That would be very very welcome!
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
LATrucker

#472 Post by LATrucker » 08 May 2021 12:46

shadynsx wrote: 07 May 2021 22:19 Could we get a rework of San Francisco coming with this first phase?
I don't think we'll get SF with the first phase, but maybe they're already working in the Bay Area for quite a time...
The first time they showed a hint was in November last year:

https://twitter.com/scssoftware/status/ ... 9370305536
Trucker Nik

#473 Post by Trucker Nik » 08 May 2021 13:00

In the first phase of the reworking of California, all cities will be done, as was the case in Germany, where in the first phase of the reworking of all cities
flight50

#474 Post by flight50 » 08 May 2021 14:22

Trucker_Tommy wrote: 08 May 2021 06:52 Jumping the gun here a bit and images from California look so far great but when Nevada’s turn comes up is it phased? Nevada is smaller than California but is it small enough for one
hit or do we get it in 2 phases?
I wouldn't say its jumping the gun. The topic would come up sooner or later and its already in the right thread. If it were me, I'd do 2 phases. US-50 and North of it and then all the rest South of US-50. Main reason I'd phase it....I-80. I-80 from the border of California/Nevada is getting redone. I-80 from Wells, is already up to current standards because of Utah coming. So Utah and Wyoming will be high quality with I-80. Nevada is the declining gap. Even though its in place and we can get from one dlc to the next, the quality difference will be very very noticable. So considering Nevada is so sparse, Get I-80 and the (3) cities on it updated. Reno is the largest city on that stretch and to me, its not terrible. It can get the Vegas treatment. Now I don't know how accurate it is because I don't know the city. Move West Wendover to Nevada where it should be. Its taking up space in Utah. That space can give us a longer Salt Flatts like it should be. The Flatts is way to short. Moving Wendover can double the Salt Flatts and that would be perfect. Parts of US-95 got a small portion of an update when NV-140 and OR-140 came. So its I-80, US-95, US-50 and US-93 to revamp for phase 1. Knock those three out in 6-9 months and move on to the South.

I-80 is better off coming sooner than later. Wyoming will make that trip even worse when going from Wyoming to California. People will hate that trip because of California. Same with US-50. We could have US-50 from Colorado all the way to Sacramento if they provide it. The Nevada portion will be the gap there. That covers both main East to West routes in the state. US-6 can come later as its in parts anyways. That then leaves phase 2 revamping US-95 and US-93 mostly. Polish up Vegas and thennnnnnn, upgrade the Nevada economy. I am sure there are several mines or remote places that can be added to the state. Tonopah is mostly okay but it could use 2-3 depots. There is not a lot there so the choices are slim. But thinking outside the box:
1) Raley's - make it Tidbits
2) Family Dollar - make it Eddy's
3) Tonopah Fairgrounds - deliverable livestock
4) If SCS implemented proper mobile homes, the could make a mobile home park that we can deliver the longer more appropriate trailers to mobile home parks that are very very popular in remote areas in state. We need 2-3 variants of mobile home parks and one new company that has them on their lots to sale. Here is an example of what the new company should look like. They should have both single and double wides on their lots for us to deliver too. Outside of farms, mines, logging, wind farms and oil/gas sites, SCS could add remote locations for mobile home parks. They typically are out in the country or in distances away from the main city. Small towns can even consist of these.

US-95, US-395 and US-93 all need about the same amount of work. Sierra Nevada made US-395 look great. All can use a revamp to update the terrain along with US-6 too. I-15 will get updated to the California/Nevada border so that only leaves from the border and into Vegas. The rest of I-15 is good with the Vegas rebuild and Utah. Now Vegas can get polished. West of I-15 can get redone. They didn't do a lot with it for the rebuild. The assets are old and it would be nice to get more of the strip. For now, it works great, but this is prior to the announcement of the rebuild. Perhaps the held there because they started thinking about an ATS base map rebuild. I think they did enough to get us by until it can get polished. Overall, Nevada seriously needs the new terrain modeling updated and it will be restored to one of the best states in my opinion. I like the sparse open travel thru it and the new terrain models will make it shine.

@seriousmods I think they could fix the ramp you describe but the other things you mention may have come down to scale issues. California has terrain issues and a compactness to it that effects 1:20 big time. What they are doing will be an improvement in itself but still some shortcuts will have to be taken due to scale. If they had 1:10 to play with, lots of terrain elevations would work out great in ATS. But that scale also doubles the development time unfortunately. I definitely agree with the I-5 station based on what you just posted. The highway literally goes thru the Ag station. The yellow line always tells you your main road and it doesn't break. Some details missed like this are easy I suppose if you don't live here in the US. But someone should educate the entire map team for things like this. This is an easy fix but it could have been easily avoided too if the education was there. Shortcuts like this will always get pointed out to people that travel these areas often. So if Google map shows it, do it like Google Maps and people won't call it bugs/issues.
pigbrother

#475 Post by pigbrother » 08 May 2021 14:26

For some reasons, I don't think NV and AZ will be remade as CA. AZ already has many improvements, only new textures, terrain meshes and vegetation are lacking, but those are scenery elements and prolly easier and safer to update. NV got some changes (Las Vegas, Tonopah and Carson City) but it needs more love, like a much better I-80, realistic and extended US-50, a complete US-95 and some other elements. I hope we'll get those, but I really don't expect a full rebuild.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
SenseFM

#476 Post by SenseFM » 08 May 2021 14:52

I wonder how long will the rebuild of California take. Germany in ETS2 took 3 years, and its rework only included highways and minor changes in the cities, the minor roads were mostly untouched. And California (423,970 km2 or 163,696 sq mi) is bigger in area than Germany (357,021 km² or 137,847 sq mi)... Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the news, IRL California is one of the most beautiful states and deserved to look better in the game.
SageTDS

#477 Post by SageTDS » 08 May 2021 15:04

LA really needs an overhaul. Hopefully we eventually get that with this project.
flight50

#478 Post by flight50 » 08 May 2021 15:08

I'd put California at a minimum of 2 years. They started it around Sept/Oct of 2020. If they managed to do cities and roads for phase one, that will be a great sign. We also have to remember than both map teams operate differently. ATS has smaller maps and several map teams that can afford to split up more. The rebuild team is small but more will come over time according to Jakub. If Phase 1 is coming with 1.41, we could perhaps expect Phase two when Texas releases and that should probably be Spring of 2022. The main factor for California completion is how many will join the rebuild effort. When ATS started, there were only like 5-7 mappers. Now each map team is pretty much doubled that to kick out dlc's. California may or may not see numbers like that though.
leo.arevalo12ss

#479 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 08 May 2021 15:40

Las Vegas wouldn't likely get a rework because it was reworked recently for 1.38 but for other cities, i see it happening
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
hangman005

#480 Post by hangman005 » 08 May 2021 16:19

I wonder, more out of vain curiosity than anything, just how limiting is a rebuild and how they get around. At the end of the day if the roads need to line up, but what if in making things more accurate they don't really match up. I-5 still has connect to the I-5 in the un rebuilt parts and I-80 and so on and so forth. How much accuracy do you sarcrafice the existing connection. I think it'd be kind of interesting to see the planning that goes into it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”