Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#841 Post by flight50 » 02 Jun 2021 14:41

I think it would be sweet to have all the big airports but some of them are in tight areas and not possible. I think an airport is necessary every 500 miles if possible. Obviously the East gets tighter. Denver is about the perfect one as it has a ton of space. Its about about location with the big ones. I think we'll need a good balance of them thru out the US. I really hope LAX makes the cut this go around. San Francisco would be nice as well. Both it and LA are on borders of water so perhaps take some space from the bodies of water. We only need the cargo area anyways. We'll see what happens. California, Florida and Texas might be the only 3 states that can get two. NYC area is going to be too tight as all 3 major airports are less than 35 miles apart. No way more than one airport fits in that area. Pick one and go with it. I'd choose JFK. Newark needs the ports so don't take from it and La Guradia is mostly passenger.

[ external image ]
oldmanclippy

#842 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Jun 2021 18:06

Some other airports that could work:

Kansas City
Indianapolis
New Orleans (although I'd rather them focus on ports ports ports)

I think all the airports on your map should come at a minimum. I agree JFK is the best option for NYC. Although it will be jarring driving to the Port of Newark without there being Newark Liberty right there, so maybe it could come as a scenic airport. New York City will make all the previous 1:20 scale challenges look like a piece of cake.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Bedavd

#843 Post by Bedavd » 02 Jun 2021 18:55

Don't forget Memphis, TN and Louisville, KY for the Fedex and UPS hubs, respectively. Largest and third largest cargo airports in the country. Only Anchorage beats out Louisville.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
rbsanford

#844 Post by rbsanford » 02 Jun 2021 19:04

MSP will be a challenge, squished between two essential cities, jammed in with the industrial area around Midway Yard and the commercial area around/including the Mall of America. But along with DFW, O'Hare, Miami, Atlanta, and JFK, I agree that it'll be an essential airport. MSP is a major hub, and the road accessing the UPS and FedEx terminals is pretty neat, with tunnels under the taxiways.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
oldmanclippy

#845 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Jun 2021 19:26

Yeah MSP is a must have, although I would say we are biased @rbsanford :lol: It can definitely fit if they push out I-494 and spread out I-35W and I-35E.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#846 Post by flight50 » 02 Jun 2021 19:28

That map was Google generated based on the key word I put in. So what ever it showed, is what I posted. I agree on Kansas City. That or St. Louis. Both will not go. For KC, I-29 is a definite road. I-435 is a toss up. If no I-435, KC I'd favor more to get FedEx right off exit 15. St. Louis will have I-70 but what about I-170 and I-270. With those St. Louis International doesn't have space.

Funny you mention Memphis though. My significant other works package handling in DFW and their planes come from Memphis. So apparently, its a main hub. Holly chow. I just looked this hug and its huge. Yes I want that.
Xaagon

#847 Post by Xaagon » 02 Jun 2021 23:16

Isn't Memphis the hub for FedEx? That could be why it's so big.
ALT2870

#848 Post by ALT2870 » 03 Jun 2021 00:09

Correct and UPS is at Louisville, along with Memphis your package is likely to go through one the two depending on who is delivering it. Basic process is that all the planes converge on one of the two in the late evening, packages are processed, then mass exodus at early morning. It is a work of art. Anchorage is number one because it is a stop over for Asian flights.
interstate trav

#849 Post by interstate trav » 05 Jun 2021 17:26

I haven’t been on here that much lately, I just became a Dad last week my son was born and I’m a proud Dad, and with work and all.

Anyways, I wanted to ask how’s the new Northern California looking so far?
PBandJ

#850 Post by PBandJ » 05 Jun 2021 20:11

@interstate trav Congratulations on the new birth. Also thanks for getting topic back on subject.....:) I look forward to the changes in California that are to come. Some areas will benefit greatly from just a re-skin. Areas look old in game imo. Any new commercial businesses or buildings will be icing on the cake so to speak. It will be interesting to see the next update for me.

Return to “General discussion about the game”