Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#981 Post by flight50 » 08 Sep 2021 16:32

Oh most definitely US-50. I was trying not to be greedy, lol. I think US-50 requires some adjustments to Carson City perhaps. Or SCS can just leave it and build US-50 from what we have. US-95 needs to be tweaked and added once you start going South of I-80 in Nevada though.

So that's why I was just leaving it at just I-80. Once we start asking for more, then that might be when SCS stops considering a fast tracked I-80.
Trucker_Tommy

#982 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 08 Sep 2021 17:47

Apart for some reason being the road I really want the only reason I mention the 50 is it’s next to each other (sort of). I understand any road could be requested if it’s not currently in and the rebuild team are in the area.
flight50

#983 Post by flight50 » 08 Sep 2021 19:01

US-50 from Carson City to Sacramento is like the current day wish US-14 YS to Sheridan route. US-50 has been in the talks for years. With US-50 continuing thru both Utah and Colorado in better quality, its one of those US roads that really needs to be in from start to end in good quality.

If we get that wish.....US-50 will be another great scenic road that I'll love. It along with I-80 in Nevada will make a world of difference to the base map.
Reignman

#984 Post by Reignman » 09 Sep 2021 01:01

Alright, I waited to update to 1.41 until Wyoming was out, so I'm getting my first look at the northern California rework too. I guess I missed the memo about Hornbrook being replaced by Hilt. Where was that discussed, and why the change?

And is it just me, or does Redding seem further north now? Is that why the replaced Hornbrook with Hilt, which is closer to the Oregon border? It's too close to Medford now lol. Glad they added a 2nd company there though.

Also what's the deal with that whacky curve in hwy 5 north of Redding? It doesn't look that way on a real map. I haven't traveled that way yet, so perhaps it's to make it easier to get up some mountains or something?
flight50

#985 Post by flight50 » 09 Sep 2021 01:46

Hornbrook was incorrect from the beginning. Max even came on and said it should have been Hilt way back on page 15. So SCS made to correct change. viewtopic.php?p=1475047#p1475047
Reignman

#986 Post by Reignman » 09 Sep 2021 07:11

Mmmmm nope, I don't agree that it was the Hilt bridge. Unless he means they meant to create Hilt instead of Hornbrook, from the beginning. Because whether Hornbrook was intended or not, that was very much Hornbrook in game, not Hilt. Hornbrook is a little further south of the border than Hilt, as it was in game.

And here you can see the service road on the left that was depicted in game.

[ external image ]

You can't tell me the Hornbrook that we had above looks more like real life Hilt below lol.

[ external image ]

Maybe now it looks more like Hilt. I don't know. I don't see construction or a hotel on the right side of the highway on google earth. And no liquor store on the left in game. There's also a road that passes under the highway in game now just north of the Hilt bridge, which isn't on google earth.

I mean I don't care, it's not like I was attached to Hornbrook or something. Out of 1800 jobs I've done, I think I've only been there twice lol. I was just curious. They could have just added the Voltison to Hornbrook and left it as is. It just seems like a major change for such a minor city.
flight50

#987 Post by flight50 » 09 Sep 2021 12:00

Believe what you want. I won't argue. You asked a question, I gave the answer. Hornbrook is not only South of Hilt, but its also completely on the East side of I-5. SCS is just trying to be a tad more accurate. Not to mention many people on here asked for a Hornbrook fix. Most of us want Yreka as it made more since but Hilt came instead. I assume it was due to space. But the exits is what you have to match up, not necessarily the environment. That all still has fiction to it when its needs to. But SCS won't fake an exit number.
IvanKuz

#988 Post by IvanKuz » 09 Sep 2021 13:19

@Reignman When the overall map scale is 1:20, but individual locations and stretches of road have to be done closer to 1:1 to be believable, it is inevitable that things on the map will have to be omitted, dislocated, swapped, squished, stretched, simplified, exaggerated or sometimes just straight up invented. That's how you end up with "wacky curves" that allow to fit more miles of road in limited space, or towns being shifted away from their real-life positions, especially near borders.

As for Hornbrook/Hilt, I believe Max's claim that it was always supposed to be Hilt. The old gas station with rest area that was there was likely meant to stand in for the Hilt liquor store you see on the map. If they had been meaning to represent Hornbrook instead, the gas station would likely have been placed on the other side of the Interstate to closer match a real gas station near Hornbrook.

Either way, the area looks more realistic now. I just don't understand why not only they decided to keep it at all (Hilt is barely even a real town) but even doubled down on it by taking a random unmarked shed and deciding that it should be an electric cars company depot in the game. I mean, if this is the bar for how notable a place can be in order to be marked on the map, then every single scenic town on the map should get functional company depots as well!
nautofon

#989 Post by nautofon » 09 Sep 2021 14:56

^ My guess would be they didn't want to reduce the number of cities in the base game from the advertised count. Which makes sense! Of course, they could have added two depots to one of the new scenic towns near Eureka instead ... but I suppose it doesn't matter either way. I, for one, am content with Hilt.

On a more general note, I'm really happy with the rebuild so far. Great job! If I was running the ATS demo and saw this, I'd be buying right now. :D

I do hope the eastern half of I-80 in Nevada is next. 8-)
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
killingjoke28336

#990 Post by killingjoke28336 » 09 Sep 2021 15:49

I think they will finish California first.
I wonder what they will do about the old towns like Red Bluff. Are they going to be redone in the future? Right now they are a bit off putting with all the outdated assets and vegetation models.

Return to “General discussion about the game”