Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

harishw8r

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#921 Post by harishw8r » 25 Jul 2021 06:34

Oh yeah the Southern Cali, haven’t been there for a long time :lol: Yeah those roads aren’t that bad.
interstate trav

#922 Post by interstate trav » 25 Jul 2021 19:29

I hope they rebuild the 15 going a hundreds miles without an exit is not California there is so much along the real 15 from San Diego to the Inland Empire. They need to add a few exits and cities even if there just scenery. The freeways in California shouldn’t feel as rural as the 70 in Utah because there not and in real life the 70 is a very rural freeway west of Denver. If that could be reflected in the game it would really add to the realism. I’m hoping they do more but there are a few areas that don’t need as much, but scenery every area needs it, the only one that is realistic is the 8 east of San Diego, that drop to El Centro that’s more realistic. But the exits need to be redone, but considering how dense they made the 15 in Utah California should be much denser south of Barstow, the only open land along the 15 is the Cajon Pass between Victorville and Barstow then Barstow to Primm. I’m hoping they add Baker, if there going to keep doing it I say do it right. Don’t just focus on the new states but make the most populated state feel like it.

Same with the 10, as well.
Shiva

#923 Post by Shiva » 26 Jul 2021 06:09

Barstow? it needs a redo. And I-15 Exit 175 is unnecessary.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
dmilligan1998

#924 Post by dmilligan1998 » 26 Jul 2021 13:07

Shiva wrote: 26 Jul 2021 06:09 Barstow? it needs a redo. And I-15 Exit 175 is unnecessary.
Agreed about Barstow.
interstate trav

#925 Post by interstate trav » 26 Jul 2021 18:32

Yeah Barstow needs a rebuild, it looks nothing like the real one. They have all the exits and it eats up too much space and makes it feel like Barstow's much larger then the real life one. If you drive through it in real life you can see that it literally is not very big, the only things needed would be the 58-15 jct Barstow Road the 247 if they plan to add that, and the 15-40 jct and E Main St so the 15-40 jct can be realistic. That would decrease how much space it takes it would also give more room to the South and give room for Baker to be Added. I’d have Baker as scenery but an exit for it and add the 127. Then the Baker grade, also Calico Mountain, just having it in the distance, so it looks like the real 15. In Barstow they could keep Lenwood for the truck stop but the exit south of it really isn’t needed, but in all Barstow is in the desert and there are a lot of trains and there isn’t much green at all and the current 15-40 jct is nothing like the real one.

I’d also add a couple of exits along the 40 it goes a long stretch without any exits. Maybe Ludlow Amboy, anything really, so it’s a more interesting drive.
Bedavd

#926 Post by Bedavd » 26 Jul 2021 18:58

Would love to see them do more justice to the giant train yard in Barstow instead of the little Rail Export we have. It's a shame we don't have military stuff (but understandable) because they have that big logistics center in Barstow too. I'm really excited for the city reworks for sure there's so much untapped potential I'm looking forward to seeing added.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Tristman

#927 Post by Tristman » 26 Jul 2021 19:03

It would be amazing if they reworked Barstow with a proper railyard. They will also have the expanded rail industry after Wyoming releases, so I'm sure they can use that to make it more interesting regardless of whether Barstow receives a big rework.
interstate trav

#928 Post by interstate trav » 27 Jul 2021 00:00

Funny thing is I was a courier earlier in my life and I used to do runs from Los Angeles, to Barstow and back and it was train parts and it was a favorite run, get away from Los Angeles and go to all the trains. It’s definitely something that could be even short hauls, also having Main St so you could drive through parts of Barstow and have the old feel. It really does feel deser, I don’t know of anywhere in Barstow where you couldn’t think your in a city not in the Desert lol.

Plus the signs in Barstow along the 15, and I’d love for them to have the ones like real life for he 15-40 jct. also the 58 when it meets Barstow the 15 North says Las Vegas and has a mention to the 40 for Needles and the 40 says Needles Arizona isn’t mentioned until mileage signs. California doesn’t sign out of state control cities that often Las Vegas being a big exception.

Between that and making the scenery realistic and having Calico Mtn just have it written like real life along the freeway and some Las Vegas Billboards and even Peggy Sues Diner and in Baker have the Thermometer would make that stretch a lot more fun to drive. Utah did the 15 justice it reminded me of when I drove it.

Then have the Baker Grade and then skip the Shadow Valley for scaling and just drop to Primm and the 15 might be a favorite for some. Me included.

Also hoping for the 58 to get reworked esp with Adding Mojave and the 14 being a freeway to Mojave.
Sorry for that unrelated part but it would create another Route from Los Angeles to Las Vegas that’s more interesting and also add to everything, for rail I’d add the Tehachapi loop, there is a lot of open space to play with in the San Joaquin Valley to move Bakersfield if needed and make some of these adjustments. If needed.
rbsanford

#929 Post by rbsanford » 27 Jul 2021 01:57

interstate trav wrote: 27 Jul 2021 00:00 Funny thing is I was a courier earlier in my life and I used to do runs from Los Angeles, to Barstow and back
So you were a courier in the Mojave? Fallout: New Vegas immediately comes to mind.

Along Long 15 there's also the exit for Zzyzx, which would be another odd landmark, just for its name. More accurate elevation changes along the 15 is also a must; from Cajon Summit to Baker it's pretty much all downhill, then up to Mountain Pass (the highway's highest point south of St. George), and that steep drop to the state line. This, combined with those unique landmarks and improved mountains, would easily make I-15 one of my favorite roads.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
interstate trav

#930 Post by interstate trav » 27 Jul 2021 03:58

Lol no not for them rbsanford, it was before I became a General Contractor, and I’ve always loved the 15 going t9 Las Vegas and the 14 from the 5 to Mojave so there two routes I want to see done right.

I think just a sign for Zzyzx even if we can’t access it should be fine, and yeah basically you drop from the Cajon to Barstow and drop to Baker and then that long climb along the Baker Grade, and imagine Baker being an exit, I’d just do Kelbaker Road or do both ends of Baker Blvd and then the climb then he drop, it would make it so much more fun. Right now it’s nothing like the real one and the mountains are not even close and the traffic on that freeway drives massively faster then the speed limit, we want to get to Las Vegas to loose our money lol, and yeah if we had the bridge after E Main Street in Barstow the Distant Calico Mountain written in white then have that exit then Baker and the Thermometer and I’d have a gas station like they really do and make sure the price is high limply it really is, lol then climbing the Baker grade and not to forget the Las Vegas Billboards that build up the excitement of Las Vegas so even if your doing a haul straight past it you get the vibe, then the summit could be Mtn pass and that’s like you said with the high altitude and hen add the runaway truck ramp and the turn and drop to Primm. If they did that the 15 would be my favorite part of the game, and yeah as a kid I remember going there on vacation and I loved the billboards it builds up the excitement and I’ve been to Calico and just seeing the Mtn with it written on it is so cool and as an adult it’s even more.

So yeah that’s a stretch of freeway I really want to see them do right, including the Cajon Pass and San Bernardino.

The 14 as well since when I was a kid I lived in Los Angeles and the 5-14 to Mojave was one route we took to Las Vegas. Plus it’s important to show how far Los Angeles really spreads out.

Return to “General discussion about the game”